What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

I won't watch it by myself, I still haven't gotten over Where the Red Fern Grows. For goodness sakes I cried at the end of the latest Toy Story, I do still have a tough guy reputation to uphold in front of my 6 year old at least... My daughter isn't quite 2 so she won't remember dad being a big baby just yet.
I've never seen "Old Yeller", but I remember sitting in a movie theater watching "The Yearling". At one point I looked around at all the weeping children and thought, "What sick game is this? :mad: Why did our parents drop us off at the matinee to go through this trauma?" o_O
Really like this photo!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: (Not sure I can articulate why, though. :rolleyes:)
Thanks, I think.

Carrying my newest.
DxxquDp.jpg

and on old friend.
kInbA87.jpg

Maybe not old enough for "Old Friends Friday", but the Stockyard Whittler saw a lot of pocket time last year.

Last edited:
View attachment 1275241 View attachment 1275242

No, I am not a 49’ers fan. But I sure do love a nice alox Pioneer, especially with the Old Cross. I am going to tote the red one this weekend. Swiss engineering amazes me. There are a lot of years between these two knives, yet they are virtually identical.

I hope all of you have a great time watching the big game, and the commercials!

Last edited:
1580475305919276685570.jpg
These again today.
I've never seen "Old Yeller.", but I remember sitting in a movie theater watching "The Yearling". At one point I looked around at all the weeping children and thought, "What sick game is this? Why did our parents drop us off at the matinee to go through this trauma?" o_O
I've never seen that one either, just another one to add to the list I suppose.

Carrying my Hartshead Barlow, and Charlie's big Black Jack today :thumbsup:

rM13XsC.jpg

NtbybH9.jpg
That looks like a nice long secondary on the Charlie jack.

I've never seen "Old Yeller", but I remember sitting in a movie theater watching "The Yearling".
I don't remember if I cried at Old Yeller. I remember the kid crying before he shoots Old Yeller.
In the book they don't quarantine the dog. The mother says, "Son, we can't take the chance". 'I whistled Old Yeller over, put the muzzle of my gun against his head, and pulled the trigger.' [single quotes because that's from memory and likely to be a paraphrase]

I'll carry this old Imperial today. It's one of my less lamentable epoxy patches.
i9rwHVb.jpg

8XTpLUM.jpg

Last edited:
That looks interesting buddy, what you got there? :) :thumbsup:
Well, I’m not quite sure, Jack.
I found it with my grandfather’s fishing tackle after he passed.
There are no markings on it, and outside of a brief inquiry here, I haven’t looked into it too much.

It’s a pretty plain, but solidly built, knife in a neat package. I’m assuming it’s some sort of sailor’s knife, with a sheepsfoot blade. The tool is triangular, and seems probably more fitting as a type of marlin spike, rather than a punch.

Carried it yesterday to MB ark my grandfather’s birthday, but thanks for getting me to keep it out, and carry it again today!

2170CA0B-BF66-4350-830C-44CD15361E85.jpeg 564BD287-8664-433C-AEC7-E564DCB55CA5.jpeg 30CF6456-6468-402E-BCB5-F058EE0D0B3F.jpeg 66B2EA1F-6AA6-4B8D-BE13-DD27459C1F2C.jpeg 0F1BC5FE-361D-4500-8F5C-73AC93F04A69.jpeg BA380541-29DC-4273-A448-F1A5D8FE8FA5.jpeg 8449E5D1-2C78-4064-9912-03486CAB2E56.jpeg

There are no markings on it, and outside of a brief inquiry here, I haven’t looked into it too much.

It’s a pretty plain, but solidly built, knife in a neat package. I’m assuming it’s some sort of sailor’s knife, with a sheepsfoot blade. The tool is triangular, and seems probably more fitting as a type of marlin spike, rather than a punch.

Carried it yesterday to MB ark my grandfather’s birthday, but thanks for getting me to keep it out, and carry it again today!

View attachment 1275257 View attachment 1275258 View attachment 1275259 View attachment 1275260 View attachment 1275261 View attachment 1275262 View attachment 1275263

Quite a treasure there by any measure

Thanks Gary, that Otter convinced me to try one of theirs and I picked this one up.

Anyone know what kind of horse is on that coin in the center?

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

ok....it's a QUARTER HORSE ;)
It’s a Tennessee Walker. That’s why it’s fenced in.

View attachment 1275257 View attachment 1275258 View attachment 1275259 View attachment 1275260 View attachment 1275261 View attachment 1275262 View attachment 1275263
Wow! Great knife and connection for you.

Camillus Whittler today

ZmmQymy.jpg
That's a gorgeous knife, Steve! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: (I always wonder why it's called a whittler with that blade placement.)

Uncanny canoe!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I’m just around the house on this rainy Monday, but I’ve got this Stag #73 in my pocket! :)

47981019593_9c9aeb269a_o_d.jpg
That "chocolate" stag is memorable, Ron! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I always enjoy seeing your Böker Barlow, 315 315 ! :cool::cool::thumbsup: (Are you a "secret agent man" (old Johnny Rivers song)? They've given you a number and taken away your name! ;):rolleyes:)

Picked up the cocobolo 74 so its in the pocket for a bit, figured it was time for a family shot though. Would really love to see more of this pattern.

6fNGPAV.jpg
Quality quartet!! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

AC stag lambsfoot and ironwood 78. Beauties, both.

View attachment 1273263
Definitely a dynamic duo, Joshua

On Monday, my Blue Tribal lock.

View attachment 1273197
A whole new meaning for "Blue Monday", Dean! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

This arrived in the mail surprisingly soon and I just finished sharpening it so I'll be adding it to the mix as well.
Congrats on your new fistful of steel! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

It’s beer o’clock on Micarta Monday.
TmHicDo.jpg
That looks like a serious and satisfying knife, Dave! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Your comment brought a memory to mind, that of my Dad going grouse hunting. We mostly only small game hunted growing up, squirrels and rabbits. But grouse that was Dads thing,come a morning with a bit of fresh snow and he would get ready. His brown canvas bird vest with orange across the shoulders, shells in the loops,a checked flannel shirt, jeans and his boots. He would reach into the gun cabinet and take out that sleek Fox side by side 12, stuff his vest with a couple ham or steak biscuits and step through the door into the cold. Only to step back inside to grab the old prince Albert can he used to drink from mountain springs,give us a sheepish grin for having forgot it again, then be off for the day. I've shot many squirrels with him,we've kicked out many rabbits for one another, but I've only been with him once for grouse. Like I said its his thing, it's his time to reconnect with himself.
Klmcjva.jpg

Not my Dad's knife,but very representative of the knives I've seen him clean many squirrels,rabbits, and grouse.
Enjoyed your story a lot, David! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Yes, I’ve been carrying these all day.
View attachment 1273518 View attachment 1273519
Terrific trio! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Robeson Cutlery Rochester(1917-1939) Ebony EO Boys’ Jack. Maiden Voyage.
View attachment 1273576

View attachment 1273583

View attachment 1273584
Congrats on the venerable ebony EO, Harvey! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Thought I'd go with this GEC made Schrade trapper for Tuesday. :)

It's the only traditional I have with an interesting flush tang, kinda cool. :cool:
That's enough trapper for a month of Tuesdays, JJ! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
I don't think I've ever seen joints like that in person.

Morning folks, or evening, or whatever :D Carrying these two today, my Hartshead Barlow, and a little Solar Jack for my Random Tuesday choice :) :thumbsup:
EsNytLv.jpg
Admirable Solar-powered pair, Jack! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Your pic is proof that absolutely everybody embraces a stag HHB, Mike! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Today is a Remington day.
View attachment 1273795
Really enjoying your daily theme of 3 sizes of knives from a given maker!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Delectable equal end jack, Gev! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Dropped these two in my pocket today. Hope y’all have a great day! :)

46780082965_91696fbdf5_o_d.jpg
Fancy and fantastic, Ron! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Prestigious pair, Dean! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

New to me ca. 1948 Queen #10 in Rogers bone. Still has factory edges and great snap.

BEnFALy.jpg
Congrats on your quintessential Queen jack, Steve! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

- GT

I decided to pull out a long-uncarried knife from the knife drawer today, so this nice, flat Case Sod Buster Jr. in Amber Bone SS is along for the ride:

EDuGY1Q.jpg

These two are pretty much with me every day. Peanut in the watch pocket and the Cadet in my backpack. I am sure I have posted this before, but it is pretty much what I carry every day:

Lm19qSE.jpg

Back