What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Thanks Willie, t's Blackbeard, but I think Drake was the more successful pirate ;) Sounds like a hard day my friend, hope you get a chance to put your feet up this weekend :thumbsup:

It would seem the Sir Francis Drake was more successful... Or at least better at public relations since he was knighted.

Thanks Jack. It wasn't a horrible day really. A friend of ours up the road let's us pull in his shop so at least we weren't out in the cold, and there was plenty of beer to be had, plus a bottle of 18 year old Glenfiddich... We had an easyish day today. The tractor gelled up and we had to spend most of the day thawing it out, so ergo no work because we need it to finish the job we started the other day. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Sheesh! I got caught up (mostly) with this thread, took a deep breath, and now I'm three days behind.

Thought I'd tote a couple large Schatt's for Saturday, a Daddy Barlow and Jumbo Gunstock Stockman. :)

Beautiful, JJ, especially the gunstock (though I do admire Lightening).

hSVOGAa.jpg

Your shadow caught my eye, then stole my heart, Jack. Very special.

That's a handsome old fellow, Vince.

I’m thinking that secondary would be great for wood work. Very nice!

You could be right, Jeff, but it is intended for skinning/gutting game, so hold the splinters.

Totin a PAL Jack and a Camillus Cattle knife today :thumbsup:

5KtlqAM.jpg

Great pair, Steve, and a nice portrait of them.

YlNUe9H.jpg

Sambar stag Hartshead Barlow, a @Jack Black SFO from Sheffield.

Nice picture, Vince, and you've reminded me that it's time to hoist the cocktail pennant.

I’m carrying this #53 TK Cuban in Natural Stag today. :)

I thought since it was Saturday it would be okay to change out my knives with my afternoon coffee. I changed to a Northfield #76 Outlaw Jack and my Ashley’s Choice SFO Lambsfoot. Both in stag of course. :D

So you dumped that lovely Cuban after only a couple hours, Ron? You don't seem so fickle, so if that Cuban really bugs you, I'll provide a safe haven for it. Truthfully, any of those three is enough for a day's tote.

Today, I'm totin' a Schrade-made stockman for a change of pace.

xwFopOB.jpg

1vIPUTd.jpg

- Stuart

Last edited:
satVki4.jpg

Getting ready for another sugar season making some extra spiles today and tomorrow hoping to start tapping some time this week, happy Saturday
I can't say as I've ever seen home made spiles before, that's cool. Nothing says spring is on the way like sugar season cranking up. I just noticed the bigger outfits here starting to boil, and the hobbyists have buckets hanging on every suitable tree. I haven't tapped any sugar bushes in a few years but I keep saying I'm going to, just need a new boiler set up.

Reactions: 315
So you dumped that lovely Cuban after only a couple hours, Ron? You don't seem so fickle, so if that Cuban really bugs you, I'll provide a safe haven for it. Truthfully, any of those three is enough for a day's tote.

Today, I'm totin' a Schrade-made stockman for a change of pace.

xwFopOB.jpg

1vIPUTd.jpg
I normally don’t change my carries in the middle of the day Stuart. I had some stag that was begging to be aired out a little. ;) That’s a Parker Frost that you don’t see very often. It’s beautifully made and on the 8OT pattern. :thumbsup: :D

Off out early in the morning, toting these two :) Have a good Thursday folks :thumbsup:

FYCZHuL.jpg

Se5ED6V.jpg
Splendid pic of your HHB, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Will you provide a brief description of the Little Doagie?? (I'm behind in this thread, so maybe you've already done so and I just haven't arrived there yet! :rolleyes:)

I don't know if you're serious about your knife having Formica inlays, but a while back I was eating in a diner, carrying a small Robeson knife, and noticed how much the covers resembled the table top. :D I wonder if it's really the same stuff.
gM614uW.jpg
Amazing resemblance, Rachel! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup: Actually two amazing resemblances: between your knife and the table top in the diner, and between the diner table top and that of the earliest kitchen I can remember from my childhood! :cool::cool:

5K Qs 5K Qs - Thank you GT. I’ve had the the buckshot RR for a bit. You and your wonderful RR collection was the prime motivator for exploring the RR World. Your Case sawcut brown bone is a sweetheart.
Thanks for the kind words, Harvey; I'm glad some of my knives can inspire someone now and then! :)

Maiden voyage for this 80s aluminum with scroll work Buck 111. Purchased, expertly sharpened and Spa tx from @Gary W. Graley. Thank you Gary.
View attachment 1282855

View attachment 1282856

Brookes&Crookes and a tin of Danish butter cookies.
View attachment 1282857
Congrats on the fancy Buck 111, and thanks that another shot of your Brookes & Crookes is "in the books"! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Very nice triple jack picks for you today, Gary; the Colonial looks great with the wire trimmed formica covers!;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for the positive comments, JJ. :)
Bodacious brace of bone folders you posted in your C. Johnson and PAL! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I particularly love this knife, Gary.;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Many thanks, José! :)

Gary, from one old guy to another, I know exactly what you’re referring to on your quote to Stuart! ;) Thanks for the compliment on my Wooden Wednesday carries! :thumbsup: :)
Great quote Gary. Took me back to a wonderful time. It’s amazing how a song can affect your mood. Today is going to be a good one.
Thanks for the remarks, Ron and Alan; I'm glad I could provide some musical memories. :) I'm always amazed how much of songs I remember even if I haven't heard them for decades, whether it's Top 40 or old church hymns! One of the things I like best about the Internet is whenever some old song suddenly breaks into my consciousness, I can usually go listen to the original, and see the lyrics, online. :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Case Medium Jack
Classic, John! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Primo pair, David; I'm especially fond of those Bökers with the tree brand bolster stamp! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks! It's about 3 7/8" Here's the camera I used.:D
ReBEjbv.jpg
Thanks for the length confirmation; 4 1/8" seems SO much bigger than 3 7/8" to me! :rolleyes:
Can you still get film cartridges for that old camera (nd find someone to develop them)?? ;):eek:

Thank you very much Gary :) For me, 'interesting' is right behind 'fascinating', and possibly the adjective which most inspires my love of traditional pocket knives :) :thumbsup:
This gave me a chuckle. “Interesting” is what my wife might say after I cut my hair.
Thanks for elaborating on your connotation of "interesting", Jack. ;):cool::thumbsup: Too often, I hear it used as Jeff describes, which reminds me of the phrase "damned by faint praise"!! :D

They certainly are. I'm honestly disappointed in myself for not picking up an SAK earlier, and the lambsfoot is my second most carried folder. Both are solid working tools.
EDIT: I really like your watch pocket carry this week GT, I forgot to add that in originally...

View attachment 1283055
Today's carry...
Thanks for the kind word, Willie. :) What's the yellow handle on your fixed blade, and what's the little tool below your SAK??

Another maiden voyage. Baxter Ltd. Lamb.
8F369B76-4BC2-40AB-8693-2D2201AB751E_zpsevqjg4d2.jpeg
Congrats on another marvelous find, Harvey! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Sensational jigging, but is the handle bone or wood?

It was a bit cold this morning…

…but it warmed up a lot this afternoon. :D
I had these two with me today. :thumbsup:

q8oMlDI.jpg
The knives are HOT :thumbsup::thumbsup:, but your temps are NOT :eek::thumbsdown::(, Barrett! My daughter sent email complaining about the temps in Minneapolis as she got ready to go out to some morning meeting.

Carrying one more than needed because this one has made choosing anything else impossible.

qLW8I1X.jpg
That's an outstanding EO 85!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: What kind of wood is used for the covers?

For Friday I'll be toting these 2 shadow pens from the 1920s; a Crucible sleeveboard and a Canton Cut Co EE. :)
I'm always pretty much overwhelmed by that pair of shadow pens, JJ!! :thumbsup::eek::thumbsup:

Nice combination Barrett, stay warm my friend :) :thumbsup:

That's a beautiful pattern JJ, reminds me that I'm overdue to slip one in my own pocket :) Maybe at the weekend, but today, I'm carrying a couple of my SFOs :) Happy Valentine's Day folks, and have a great weekend :thumbsup:

ZrV0VaB.jpg

oxlaTgx.jpg
I'm sure that Valentine's Day pair were essentially a labor of love for you to bring into being, Jack! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

In my pocket walk today this SAK alox settler.;):thumbsup:

Now that's a knife of yours that I not only enjoy, but it even makes me envy you, José! :thumbsup::cool::cool: I've been looking for a Settler whose price I can settle on for a long time!

Hope you and your Valentines have a great day! :D

49533710373_0c505a721b_o_d.jpg
What a jet-black pair for Friday, Ron!! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

- GT

Amazing resemblance, Rachel! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup: Actually two amazing resemblances: between your knife and the table top in the diner, and between the diner table top and that of the earliest kitchen I can remember from my childhood! :cool:
Yeah, I think we had a similar table, but without the red swirls.

Yeah, I think we had a similar table, but without the red swirls.
Ours didn't have the red swirls either. I have to admit I didn't even notice the red swirls until you mentioned them; I was too struck with nostalgia over the white/silver pattern.

- GT

Thought I'd tote a couple large Schatt's for Saturday, a Daddy Barlow and Jumbo Gunstock Stockman. :)
That S&M is perhaps my favorite from your collection, but then that Stockman is so nicely detailed...

@Jack Black - That Kelly sleeveboard Is a stunner, Jack.

JohnDF JohnDF - Love your Fairmont Serpentine Jack. Great cover colors, John.

5K Qs 5K Qs - Thank you GT. Part of the cover does look like wood, but it is bone. Your Cannon Sheepfoot is very cool. So is the Higonokami.:thumbsup:

I normally don’t change my carries in the middle of the day Stuart. I had some stag that was begging to be aired out a little. ;) That’s a Parker Frost that you don’t see very often. It’s beautifully made and on the 8OT pattern. :thumbsup: :D

I understand that, pal. I can barely take pics of the ones I'm totin', much less the ones I add/swap during the day. It was too cold today for me to get a pic of the pile side of my Parker tote. Thanks for the info on the pattern., as I have only a few OTs.

Alox knife this week is a Cadet II (thanks, Ken):
cadet2-mark-openall-jpg.1284623

All of those are nice, GT, but that's particularly nice.

Thank you so much for that dream scene.

Back