What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Sheesh! I got caught up (mostly) with this thread, took a deep breath, and now I'm three days behind.

Beautiful, JJ, especially the gunstock (though I do admire Lightening).

Your shadow caught my eye, then stole my heart, Jack. Very special.

That's a handsome old fellow, Vince.

You could be right, Jeff, but it is intended for skinning/gutting game, so hold the splinters.

Great pair, Steve, and a nice portrait of them.

Nice picture, Vince, and you've reminded me that it's time to hoist the cocktail pennant.

So you dumped that lovely Cuban after only a couple hours, Ron? You don't seem so fickle, so if that Cuban really bugs you, I'll provide a safe haven for it. Truthfully, any of those three is enough for a day's tote.

Today, I'm totin' a Schrade-made stockman for a change of pace.

xwFopOB.jpg

1vIPUTd.jpg

- Stuart
What a beauty that knife is stunning !!

The Blackbeard pic is left over from International Talk Like a Pirate Day, which JohnDF JohnDF suggested we celebrate in the Guardians thread :) :thumbsup:

Two aces there buddy :) :thumbsup:

I didn't think I'd get a chance to step in here this morning, but thought I'd cast my shadow ;) This Sleeveboard was made in Sheffield for a Liverpool factor by the name of Kelly. Pairing it with my Hartshead Barlow ;) Have a great weekend folks :thumbsup:

hSVOGAa.jpg
Thanks Jack!!! Very cool shadow you're casting today; it really make a great partner to your HHB!:thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
Thank you for the fine compliment of my Vday image ! Always a pleasure to see Lightningstrike :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
You are certainly very welcome kind Sir; thank you, as well!!!
Gorgeous shadows, stupendous bone. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thank you very kindly, Dean!!!
I'm carrying my blue bone Tribal Lock today.

img_6368-jpg.1284139
Wonderful shot of your blue bone Case; it looks like an advertisement!;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Interesting wood covers on that S&M Barlow. I don’t think I’ve seen any quite like that before. :thumbsup:
Thank you Barrett; I got lucky on that "lightning strike!":D:thumbsup:
Beautiful, JJ, especially the gunstock (though I do admire Lightening).
Thank you very much Stuart!!!
Thanks for the positive comments, JJ. :)
Bodacious brace of bone folders you posted in your C. Johnson and PAL! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
I'm always pretty much overwhelmed by that pair of shadow pens, JJ!! :thumbsup::eek::thumbsup:
You are quite welcome Gary; thank you for your kind comments X 2!!!
Alox knife this week is a Cadet II (thanks, Ken):
cadet2-mark-openall-jpg.1284623

non-Alox SAK this week is a Vic Camper:
camper-open-jpg.1284624

Bailed non-SAK this week is a Cannon sheepsfoot:
sheep-mark-vopen-back-jpg.1284628

International knife this week is a Higonokami (thanks, Dan):
higo-halfway-jpg.1284629
A fine foursome for you today; that's cool how the leather was integrated into your Higonokami!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
That S&M is perhaps my favorite from your collection, but then that Stockman is so nicely detailed...
Thank you very much, Harvey; it was an impulse SFO purchase!:eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:
PDW Otter Slipjoint
2f86ea6b-9611-4b49-b476-74143fe58ec1-jpeg.1284683

Sheffield Lamb and fresh apple slice pastry
b62ec06e-8abd-4b01-b36d-9d4dd42266d2-jpeg.1284684
Quite a spectacular pair you have today; your great taste in cutlery seems equalled by you pastry choices!:thumbsup::D:thumbsup:

Two knives that need a good cleaning for me today :).

That black Beer Scout is a gem, Tom!

A pair of Jacks :thumbsup:
5vRlfV8.jpg
Impressively-matched pairs, Harry and Steve! Those checkered bone 78s are beauties!

Great Totes for the week !
Thanks, Steve.

Nice Gary, that Gunboat is VERY fancy! :cool: :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack; 50 years ago, my brothers and I probably would have described it as "Bling City". :rolleyes::D

5K Qs 5K Qs - Your Sowbelly Stockman looks wonderful, hafted in Rams Horn.
Thanks, Harvey. My problem is I think EVERY sowbelly stockman looks wonderful, regardless of cover material.

Looks like Cupid has switched to using lambsfoots instead of arrows this Valentine's Day! ;):p

Thanks, Jack! Around 1 AM this morning (with the temperature back down to -15ºF outside), our furnace stopped working! :confused: Thankfully I was still awake, and noticed that it was acting odd. After a bit of Google-diagnostics, I was able to figure out the problem (flame sensor needed cleaning) and get it up and running again. :thumbsup:

I'm carrying this Muslin Micarta #71 Bull Nose today.

Y7HmnPG.jpg
Congrats on your furnace repair resourcefulness, Barrett!
Lotta Nerds with your Bull Nose!! :eek:

I'm "smitten" by that svelte stockman!!

Jack, you certainly celebrate Valentine's Day uniquely!!

The vastness of your collection is always awe inspiring GT. Thank you for sharing...
I appreciate your kind remark, Willie. The value of my collection won't impress anyone, but I certainly do have more knives than I ever imagined I'd have, and I like almost all of them!

Northwoods Fremont Jack in denim micarta. Happy Fremont Friday!

That denim sleeveboard is top-notch!

Thought I'd tote a couple large Schatt's for Saturday, a Daddy Barlow and Jumbo Gunstock Stockman. :)
Can't imagine you'd be under knifed with THAT arresting pair, JJ!

I didn't think I'd get a chance to step in here this morning, but thought I'd cast my shadow ;) This Sleeveboard was made in Sheffield for a Liverpool factor by the name of Kelly. Pairing it with my Hartshead Barlow ;) Have a great weekend folks :thumbsup:

hSVOGAa.jpg

PZ4a3Z6.jpg
Your shadow sleeveboard pen is a perfect companion for the stag HHB, Jack!

Good Morning Everybody

1930's Fairmount Serpentine Jack
What an alluring old jack! Congrats, John! Celluloid covers?

Morning all. It's a long weekend here, so I'm up early on a Saturday morning to get busy enjoying the time off ;)

Have these guys in the pocket today.
JQDQiCG.jpg

'19 Guardians Lambsfoot, SAK Electrician, Bark River Little Creek

Actually surprised I'm up so early today! Couldn't sleep last night, so decided to start a project I was planning to do today. Ended up staying up until 1:30am making a pocket sheath :D First time making a sheath, and if I ever do it again there was definitely some learnings there! Was going for something similar to the KSF Pocono sheath, but sized for the Little Creek and a SAK Electrician. Wouldn't make the SAK pocket as wide next time, but I guess we have flexibility for other things this way. Turned out okay, but the process really made me appreciate the skill some of our sheath makers on the forum have!

z04nAoG.jpg
Terrific trio of knives, Mike, and I'd sure call your first pocket sheath more than okay!

Totin a PAL Jack and a Camillus Cattle knife today :thumbsup:

5KtlqAM.jpg
Premium pair, Steve!

A Quality Quartet, Gary; I've never seen a Eureka stockman before. :thumbsup:
Thanks, Dean. I don't think that's the name RR gives that pattern, but I think I got the name from Jeff @black mamba who had several of them.

I'm carrying my blue bone Tribal Lock today.

View attachment 1284139
Gorgeous knife, Dean!

I’m carrying this #53 TK Cuban in Natural Stag today. :)

32401888766_058f0fbb3e_b_d.jpg

Stellar stag 53, Ron! I was looking at 53s on GEC's Knives By Pattern page the other day, and there were 3 different lengths given for variations of the pattern. Do you know if that's true, or are those just "typos"?

Sheesh! I got caught up (mostly) with this thread, took a deep breath, and now I'm three days behind.

xwFopOB.jpg

1vIPUTd.jpg

- Stuart
Deep breathing no longer allowed in this thread, Stuart – only frantic panting! (At least the ever-accelerating "post pace" of the Guardians thread finally settled down to something much saner; we can hope that it eventually happens here, too.)
Handsome stag bone stockman!!

satVki4.jpg

Getting ready for another sugar season making some extra spiles today and tomorrow hoping to start tapping some time this week, happy Saturday
Fascinating whittling project, and impressive final products!

5K Qs 5K Qs - Thank you GT. Part of the cover does look like wood, but it is bone. Your Cannon Sheepfoot is very cool. So is the Higonokami.:thumbsup:
Thanks for the info and compliments, Harvey.

All of those are nice, GT, but that's particularly nice.
Thanks, Stuart; I much prefer the pen blade on that old Cadet to the nail file on current Cadets.

PDW Otter Slipjoint
View attachment 1284683

View attachment 1284684
Fabulous photos, Harvey!

A fine foursome for you today; that's cool how the leather was integrated into your Higonokami!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks, JJ. I once tore apart an old ball glove with the intent of repurposing the leather for sheaths, strops, etc. I noticed I had a small scrap that was almost exactly the length of the higonokami, and "invented" that carry sheath/handle padding combo.

I'm toting these two Remington jacks today; the yellow composite from the 30s and the French Ivory from the 50s (Camillus.) :)
Say Yes to yellow jacks!! I love the regular 3-gon shield on the big Remington!

- GT

Thanks for the kind word, Willie. :) What's the yellow handle on your fixed blade, and what's the little tool below your SAK??

I made the handle on the fixed blade from melted plastic sourced from the yellow things utility companies use on pole guy wires... I found a bag of them that had bounced out of a truck on the side of the road a while back. I just cut part of one up into little pieces, melted it in the stove stuck the tang down into it and whittled it to shape. I also forged the blade on that knife from a piece of spring steel gleaned from my mechanics' scrap bin. The little tool by the sak is an A.G. Russell steel thumbnail, it's nice to have for doing all of those little unsavory things that you don't want to subject a knife blade to, it also makes a pretty nice worry stone.

sheep-mark-vopen-back-jpg.1284628

I like that one. Is the blade carbon or stainless?

Love the well-worn bone on that sleeveboard, Jack! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Your Hartshead Barlow’s looking good, too (as always). :D

Thank you very much Barrett, it was a kind gift from Stephen @Old & In The Way :)

It would seem the Sir Francis Drake was more successful... Or at least better at public relations since he was knighted.

Thanks Jack. It wasn't a horrible day really. A friend of ours up the road let's us pull in his shop so at least we weren't out in the cold, and there was plenty of beer to be had, plus a bottle of 18 year old Glenfiddich... We had an easyish day today. The tractor gelled up and we had to spend most of the day thawing it out, so ergo no work because we need it to finish the job we started the other day. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Certainly not the first rogue to be knighted, nor the last ;) That doesn't sound too bad Willie, you can't beat good whisky on a cold day :) :thumbsup:

Your shadow caught my eye, then stole my heart, Jack. Very special.

xwFopOB.jpg

1vIPUTd.jpg

- Stuart

Many thanks Stuart, nice Stockman, and an interesting one too :cool: :thumbsup:

Splendid pic of your HHB, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Will you provide a brief description of the Little Doagie?? (I'm behind in this thread, so maybe you've already done so and I just haven't arrived there yet! :rolleyes:)

Yes indeed GT, it was a gift from Stuart @Duckdog, together with a fine Primble English Jack :) Peanut-sized, good sharp stainless blades, appaloosa bone covers, made in Japan. The Parker Cutlery Company was founded in 1978 in Chattanooga, by James Parker, after his partnership with Jim Frost (Parker-Frost Cutlery Company) was dissolved :thumbsup:

4PYpCy4.jpg

Q33laRx.jpg

Thanks for elaborating on your connotation of "interesting", Jack. ;):cool::thumbsup: Too often, I hear it used as Jeff describes, which reminds me of the phrase "damned by faint praise"!! :D

A good phrase Gary, but I don't really do faint praise! :D I don't think I would have made a great a great diplomat! :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

I'm sure that Valentine's Day pair were essentially a labor of love for you to bring into being, Jack! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Hmmm...:rolleyes:Thanks again buddy :D :thumbsup:

View attachment 1284623

non-Alox SAK this week is a Vic Camper:
View attachment 1284624

View attachment 1284628

International knife this week is a Higonokami (thanks, Dan):
View attachment 1284629

- GT

The random nature of your selections does indeed throw up some interesting pairings Gary, two useful SAKs, a nice-looking Anchor Knife, and a cool Higonakami :) What is the quality like on that Cannon? :thumbsup:

Night time skating

8g0Nr7b.jpg

3PLU1Qk.jpg

Fab pics Dan :cool: :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black - That Kelly sleeveboard Is a stunner, Jack.

PDW Otter Slipjoint
View attachment 1284683

View attachment 1284684

Thank you Harvey, two great pics there :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack!!! Very cool shadow you're casting today; it really make a great partner to your HHB!:thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Thank you JJ, I do like the combination of a Lambsfoot and a Penknife, and always mean to carry it more :)

I'm toting these two Remington jacks today; the yellow composite from the 30s and the French Ivory from the 50s (Camillus.) :)

Those are two smashing knives with great-looking covers JJ :thumbsup:

I'm just about to have my first coffee of the day here, and carrying a couple of Lambsfoot knives in my pockets :) Have a great Sunday folks :thumbsup:

osXwrXy.jpg

pvCgpJ2.jpg

The value of my collection won't impress anyone, but I certainly do have more knives than I ever imagined I'd have, and I like almost all of them!

I think the true value of any collection is how much enjoyment you derive from it. Which says to me that you have a priceless pile of cutlery on your hands.

I carry and use some of my wire jacks but this the best user pattern as far as I’m concerned. It’s the large (4”) spear point. This looks like a beater but the problem is it is only the second one I’ve encountered and I’m worried about losing or damaging it. It’s the only knife I’ve ever felt that way about. 9D9684A5-3A73-4AD6-9C28-04EB8E6F6E7F.jpeg

Classic, John! :thumbsup::cool::cool:
Thank you, GT. :)
Can't really beat a Medium Jack for a Classic Pocket Knife. :cool::thumbsup:

cadet2-mark-openall-jpg.1284623
Wonderful SAK, GT. :cool::thumbsup:

Love your Fairmont Serpentine Jack. Great cover colors, John.
Thank you, Harvey. :)

Jack, you certainly celebrate Valentine's Day uniquely!!
Lol... :D:thumbsup:

What an alluring old jack! Congrats, John! Celluloid covers?
Thanks again, GT. :)
Definitely composite handles, most likely celluloid. :(

Wonderful picture of your two Lambs, Jack. :cool::thumbsup:

Have fun at church and good luck fishing. :cool::thumbsup:

Back