What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Terrific trio, Gary. :thumbsup:
Titanic trio GT ;) :thumbsup:
Gary, you wood have a multinational and handsome group of wooden handled cutlery. :):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for the kind words, guys. :) I didn't even notice, until Dean pointed it out, that my timber trio last week were all "Euro-knives."

I just had trouble too... Again awesome set up this week though GT!!!
Thank you, sir. :)

Well prepared, as always, GT :thumbsup:
Morning folks, hope everyone is doing OK, adding a little Charlow Power to my pockets today ;) Take care and stay safe :thumbsup:
Nice of you to mention my preparedness, Jack. ;)
Lovely pair for you, although the pen blade on your TC seems a bit short for a melon tester! :cool::thumbsup::p

Great Vic Alox, Gary! I thought I that one's little brother - the Vic Apprentice, but I have no idea where I put it!
Thank you for your replies, Gary. I don't know if I have mentioned previously the beauty of your RR pen knife with grooved horn covers. It really is distinctive. :thumbsup:
Thanks, Dean. :) I hope you find your Apprentice some day soon. I've become a huge fan of knives with a blade on each end, and much prefer them over a jack set-up. So I really like that RR pen knife, too; copper bolsters, spey secondary, and the grooved horn are all appealing. My pen preference has put Vic Settler (spear/pen) and Vic Apprentice (spear/sheep) on my "wish list".

Quality quartet Gary :) :thumbsup:
Hope everyone is safe and well, and that you're finding something to do this weekend :) With the pubs, restaurants, cinemas, and museums closed here, the transport system grinding to a halt, and 'self-isolation' the order of the day - and I gave up booze and cake for Lent! - it's going to be dull here, but The Porch is still here, and I'm having a Double Lambsfoot Day, (with a Gnome on the side) :) :thumbsup:
Nice eclectic selection Gary :) :thumbsup:
I admire your consistent encouragement of so many of us, Jack, regardless of circumstances! :):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for giving us a glimpse of lovable Lucy, the ironwood lambsfoot, again! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

That is one of the nicest looking mini copperlock's I have ever seen, Gary. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Captivating copperhead, GT.
- Stuart
Thanks, Dean & Stuart. :) That mini copperlock has several features that really enhance its aesthetics, IMHO: it has the walnut Rogers jigged bone and quadruply-threaded bolsters (I think you have some Case knives from this series, right, Dean?), and Leslie Tomville Leslie Tomville had @glennbad replace the standard shield at some point – it takes a village! ;)

Liking those Vics, Gary! :thumbsup: Is the red Cadet relatively new?
5K Qs 5K Qs - Your alox SA looks especially nice today, GT.
Thanks for the compliments, Dean and Harvey. :) Dean, since I've only been doing this "knife thing" for 6 years, all my knives (except my very first) are relatively new to me. But the red Cadet was one of the first Alox knives I bought, I think, back in June of 2015.

I went all day without having to pull out a knife yesterday, until at the end of the day, while tending chicken on the grill, I sliced open a bag of potting soil.
Here’s hoping you find some way to use your knife today. And yes, just pulling it out to admire does count.
View attachment 1309641 View attachment 1309640
Thanks for sharing one of your grilling tips, Jeff; can't wait to try that next time I put some chicken on the barby!! :D:thumbsup:
We missed out on baseball's opening day last week, but this Tiger fan still appreciates your carrying that black/orange pair! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Nice selection GT :) I bought a couple of the RR carbons when they first came out, a bargain (though they cost a lot more here than in the US). I gave the Whittler to @ADEE, as it's his favourite pattern, and kept the Stockman, but it's still in the box :rolleyes: Nice knives, but I wish they had put more thought into the covers :thumbsup:
Going with double stag today, one of my Damascus Lambsfoot SFOs, and my Abbeydale Jack :) :thumbsup:
Great to see the Abbeydale Jack again, with its spectacular spearpoint blade and standout stag! Your stag duo is quite a pre-birthday treat for you! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
I like the RR carbon models (I have a sowbelly, canoe, and folding hunter, and hope to eventually pick up a toothpick and a muskrat, at least). I imagine the yellow synthetic covers may be a tribute to Case's iconic "yeller delrin" covers. ;)

That caplifter is a nice addition to a stockman.
If I've said that before, pity my grey hairs.
Thanks, Jer. :) My blond hair has all gone gray long ago, so I'm unlikely to notice any repetition on your part.

Another very nice threesome Gary; your Buck BSA is especially cool!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks, JJ. :) Sorry for the misleading photo I posted; I'm not sure why I had that Sarge BSA Barlow posed on a Buck cap. :rolleyes:
Your jigged bone shadow pens always make my heart skip a beat! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thank you Gary, I sincerely hope the same for you and your country.:):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Another week with excellent knives, Gary, congratulations on your beautiful collection.;):thumbsup:
Thanks for the well-wishes and compliments, José! :)
Your stag EO GEC #25 spearpoint is an outstanding knife!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

GT - I haven't yet received the Compact Mod yet. Hopefully it will arrive soon and then I'll post a review.
Thanks for the update, Bill. :)

Peanut of the Week is a Case chestnut jigged bone CV:
chestnut.pile.closed.jpg

Stag/Horn knife for the past week has been a Rough Rider stag sowbelly stockman:
stag.sow.mark.3open.jpg

Lambsfoot this week has been Cracker Jack, my stag Ashley's Choice lambsfoot, an A. Wright & Son SFO for Jack Black:
cj.pile.Vstand.deck.jpg

- GT

Last edited:
2ImUk98.jpg

Bark River Little Creek
@Crazy Canuck GAW

View attachment 1311739 View attachment 1311741 View attachment 1311742

JohnDF JohnDF , here is the next in my series of my favorite 14 GEC patterns.

The 35 Churchill appealed to me immediately. It is large, but the single spring makes it so much easier to carry. I love a clip and sheepsfoot combination. The cougar clawed bone is one of my favorite GEC handle materials. I am not a fan of most of their jigging patterns, but this one reminds me of Winterbottom Bone.

I remember the excitement when the Churchills were being produced. That was an epic run. Next up will be a duo since they are so similar; the 42 Missouri Trader and the 43 Oregon Trapper.

Last edited:
Put new brakes, rotors and a wheel bearing hub assembly on my truck yesterday. Done with jack stands on the floor of the garage. I’m a bit sore today from all the stooped over positions and working a breaker bar. Today I’ll just do some laundry and be lazy, but if needed I’ve got a nice 66 to help me out.

73177-C29-5619-4-DB0-8-C84-8-FCFB6230346.jpg

Thanks, Dean & Stuart. :) That mini copperlock has several features that really enhance its aesthetics, IMHO: it has the walnut Rogers jigged bone and quadruply-threaded bolsters (I think you have some Case knives from this series, right, Dean?), and Leslie Tomville Leslie Tomville had @glennbad replace the standard shield at some point – it takes a village! ;)

View attachment 1311683

Stag/Horn knife for the past week has been a Rough Rider stag sowbelly stockman:
View attachment 1311694

Lambsfoot this week has been Cracker Jack, my stag Ashley's Choice lambsfoot, an A. Wright & Son SFO for Jack Black:
View attachment 1311709

- GT

Gary, indeed I do have one of walnut Rogers jigged bone and threaded bolster knives (mine is the 3" 63090 stockman). :) All three of the knives you showed above are top-drawer. :thumbsup:

cj-pile-vstand-deck-jpg.1311709
That knife is Aces, GT. :cool::thumbsup:

The 35 Churchill appealed to me immediately. It is large, but the single spring makes it so much easier to carry. I love a clip and sheepsfoot combination. The cougar clawed bone is one of my favorite GEC handle materials. I am not a fan of most of their jigging patterns, but this one reminds me of Winterbottom Bone.

I remember the excitement when the Churchills were being produced. That was an epic run. Next up will be a duo since they are so similar; the 42 Missouri Trader and the 43 Oregon Trapper.
Very nice. I don't have one but can appreciate what everybody likes about them. :cool::thumbsup:

Thought I'd go with a couple 1920s shadows for Sunday. :)

Gorgeous pairing, JJ.

That Sawby looks very slim and slicey.

Very nice, Jack, and very much like the original Marble's hunting knife that established that company's name.

Jack Black Jack Black ~ It seems our midwestern US weather is doing it’s best imitation of British Isles weather today.
Windy with something between mist and drizzle. I have heard it called mizzle.

Photos taken quickly in the mizzle...

Thanks for the nice pics and a nice chuckle, Jeff.

Delightful duo, Ron, and I do love an Electrician, so handy. I'm still totin' the Case Texas jack - just because I can.

Make them feel loved and wanted. ;)

You can say that again, John.

Perfectly fine pairing, Steve.

That chestnut peanut ain't nuttin' but the truth, GT.

- Stuart

Good morning my friend . Your photo of those 2 superb knives that you got at the 2019 Rendezvous bring great memories to me Ron . We had a blast while there . Stay Safe and Well my friend .

Harry
Thanks Harry! :) We definitely had a blast! :thumbsup: I’m keeping my fingers crossed for this year. Y’all stay safe and well too my friend! :)

Delightful duo, Ron, and I do love an Electrician, so handy. I'm still totin' the Case Texas jack - just because I can.
Thanks Stuart! :) I love the little straight edge blade on the Electrician. :cool: When I carry a SAK for a couple of days it makes me remember just how versatile they are! Y’all stay safe! :thumbsup:

When you're totin' the same knife everyday you need to get creative. My attempt today.
My Lloyd with a water color of the Duomo di Firenze that we purchased, from the artist, on the Pont de Vecchio in Florence, Italy.
Wishing a safe and peaceful Sunday to all.
GNKG7aw.jpg

Superb pairing:cool:

Everyday you can visit the forum and see knives to admire, ones you have to compare, but this is the one I truly envy ;)

Indeed. The 35 has much to like about it and as you say, being single-spring (my favourite style) it is no obese passenger in the pocket:D The Cougar Claw I hope to see offered on something else soon, Forum Knife pattern 62;), as it is a deeply jigged style and like you note, echoes Winterbottom. I also find this bone I have on a 56 EZ-Open Pruner to be similar and appealing.

Thanks, Will

eN7N1dY.jpg

Jack Black Jack Black ~ It seems our midwestern US weather is doing it’s best imitation of British Isles weather today.
Windy with something between mist and drizzle. I have heard it called mizzle.

Photos taken quickly in the mizzle...View attachment 1311540
View attachment 1311541

Mizzle! :D That's funny Jeff :D I hope it improves my friend :) Wow! What a pair of beauties! :eek: :cool: :thumbsup:

48519010876_26ac6eaf54_o_d.jpg

I’ve got one of my Silver Alox SAKs, an Electrician, in my pocket to handle any cutting chores that might arise! Y’all stay safe out there! :)

49712416477_f7cc08dc8a_o_d.jpg

What an outstanding pair Ron :) I always keep an Electrician in my bag :thumbsup:

A fancy #15 will join my Lambsfoot today.

Very nice indeed John :)

Those are great photos, Jack! The Hartshead Barlow shines in that rugged setting. :thumbsup: Nice to see your Mauser; I get to visit the one I used to have when I go to my son's house :) (which I can't do until our 'stay at home' status changes in Ohio.

Thank you very much Dean, that's very kind of you :) I wish I could still get hold of those German Army Knives as easily as I could 10 years ago, not quite a Mauser, but definitely worth picking up :thumbsup:

When you're totin' the same knife everyday you need to get creative. My attempt today.
My Lloyd with a water color of the Duomo di Firenze that we purchased, from the artist, on the Pont de Vecchio in Florence, Italy.
Wishing a safe and peaceful Sunday to all.
GNKG7aw.jpg

Great photo Gary, and a lovely watercolour :) :thumbsup:

Nice of you to mention my preparedness, Jack. ;)
Lovely pair for you, although the pen blade on your TC seems a bit short for a melon tester! :cool::thumbsup::p

I admire your consistent encouragement of so many of us, Jack, regardless of circumstances! :):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for giving us a glimpse of lovable Lucy, the ironwood lambsfoot, again! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Great to see the Abbeydale Jack again, with its spectacular spearpoint blade and standout stag! Your stag duo is quite a pre-birthday treat for you! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
I like the RR carbon models (I have a sowbelly, canoe, and folding hunter, and hope to eventually pick up a toothpick and a muskrat, at least). I imagine the yellow synthetic covers may be a tribute to Case's iconic "yeller delrin" covers. ;)

View attachment 1311683

View attachment 1311694

View attachment 1311709

- GT

Thank you for the kind words Gary, I'm sure you are right about those Delrin covers :) Terrific trio there my friend :thumbsup:

2ImUk98.jpg

Bark River Little Creek
@Crazy Canuck GAW

Looks like you're enjoying your new Barkie Dan :) :thumbsup:

yw01o8u.jpg

Stag Langres, France, by Stephane Thomachot.

Smashing Vince :thumbsup:

Very nice, Jack, and very much like the original Marble's hunting knife that established that company's name.

Thank you Stuart, yes indeed :) They have been making knives in that style in Sheffield for over a hundred years, initially for the American market I think, where I imagine they thought they could compete with Marbles, and then with Boy Scouts, to whom they sold hundreds of thousands of that and similar knives. They were even called Scout Knives in England :thumbsup:

Looks like you're enjoying your new Barkie Dan :) :thumbsup:

Yes :thumbsup: , very very much.
Elated is the word! :)

A perfect complement to my lambs :thumbsup: on my walks.

I am also learning/ watching videos about convex grinds, how to strop/sharpen this style of blade etc

I can see these two knives ( lambsfoot and little creek) being my walking companions for a very long time :thumbsup: :)

Back