What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

tnHVw3L.jpg

Pile side, just cause :D

Cut up an apple at my desk for my mid-morning snack to remind me of more normal times, even though the kitchen is less than 15 feet away from my workplace now.
7ksqqab.jpg
how do you like this Pallares pocket knife? It looks mighty fine,

how do you like this Pallares pocket knife? It looks mighty fine,
I like it a lot, but I’m not sure I would call it “fine”. Elegant perhaps? It is a friction folder, but very stiff to open and close, so no real risk of it closing unexpectedly. The carbon steel blade thin and slicey, and it packs a lot of blade in a light, slim package. The handle is plastic, and just a little too skinny for my long slim fingers to hold comfortably when doing pull-cuts. I love that it is made by a family-owned company in Catalonia. I have a few other knives from the same company and I really like them all:
roWTsJp.jpg

According to this image from our friend @Jolipapa, this style appears to have a long heritage (1700’s?):
4sdBkTO.jpg

It's a "Case" day, for sure. My new-to-me big Texas Jack, and my small half whittler in the watch pocket.
The Texas Jack was relatively dull when I got it, but took a screaming sharp edge with only about 10 strokes on the stone. That is the fastest I've ever gotten that kind of edge on a blade. I may end up having to personalize this one by rounding the square bolsters a little bit... I really like it, so far.

j6LuGM.jpg

Who is that Masked Man? :D We’ve got a package of three N95 masks, but we’re saving them just in case! ;) I had to go to the pharmacy drive through and the gas station this afternoon. I wore this homemade mask and a pair of 6mil nitrile gloves. It feels weird, but if it helps, I’m all for it! :thumbsup:

49750537723_64644f2b8e_o_d.jpg

Knife and coffee content! :thumbsup: :D

49750537743_a2468a8b01_o_d.jpg

All,

I am seeking some assistance. I am downsizing my collection due to retirement plans in the future. I have some knife related books that I need to get rid of. I don't want to trash them as there is too much good information that can be shared with a younger generation. These books are about collecting traditional knives and making knives (Wayne Goddard and others). Also a couple books that I got from Japan several years ago about the Seki makers with beautiful pictures but I can't read Japanese. I want to sell them cheap to good homes. Any advice on where I should list these? Again, they will be cheap but I must get shipping covered.
After this I will be selling off a bunch of of Japan made Parkers, Frost, Schatt & Morgan, Robeson, and others. The nicer ones and some fine stag in the group. Nothing from China in my stuff. Never has been.
I still work M-F every week, and am just planning ahead. Let's all hope we get this behind us and GEC can get back to making those fine traditional knives. Hope to see you all at the Rendezvous.

All,

I am seeking some assistance. I am downsizing my collection due to retirement plans in the future. I have some knife related books that I need to get rid of. I don't want to trash them as there is too much good information that can be shared with a younger generation. These books are about collecting traditional knives and making knives (Wayne Goddard and others). Also a couple books that I got from Japan several years ago about the Seki makers with beautiful pictures but I can't read Japanese. I want to sell them cheap to good homes. Any advice on where I should list these? Again, they will be cheap but I must get shipping covered.
After this I will be selling off a bunch of of Japan made Parkers, Frost, Schatt & Morgan, Robeson, and others. The nicer ones and some fine stag in the group. Nothing from China in my stuff. Never has been.
I still work M-F every week, and am just planning ahead. Let's all hope we get this behind us and GEC can get back to making those fine traditional knives. Hope to see you all at the Rendezvous.

Check out the Blade Forums > The Knife Exchange> For Sale By Individuals > Gadgets and Gear. I think it’s for non-knife miscellaneous stuff.

All those items look rugged and dependable, annnd snazzy! :thumbsup:
I feel a bit self conscious admiring your watch and knife, because I really want one of each. And I don't think of myself as a materialist.....
And then I wonder who I'm trying to kid. ;)

I know, I know... health, family and friends are what is really important.
But I refuse to go through life without a good knife in my pocket, also I need (?) a new field watch. :)

Edited to add: I am carrying my trusty Camillus #18. And I've got my indestructible cheapo plastic Casio wrist watch. It's great for carpentry/renovation work. I never worry about wrecking it.

Last edited:
Back