What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Carrying today : Was about to head out the door to go to Wally World when my friend fromTennessee Half/Stop Half/Stop Ron called to talk and after a while he advised that I should check my mailbox first . Well I did as we left .
This is what I was carrying at the time :

At the mailbox was this in a box :

Ron's wife Pam had made some Masks for us . And they are great .
But wait , there was more

Ron knew that I was thinking about getting a Maserin .

It is a very nice knife my friends and sharp as heck .
But wait , there was even more

Ron knew that I had given away 2 of the 2019 Blade Forums Knife and had none left .

I do not get easily blown away , but I was today .
I am going to carry and use the BF Knife like it was a borrowed mule .
As I am typing , my Waynorth Lambfoot and the 2019 BF Knife are in my pockets and I am a very happy guy and extremely proud to know and have a friend like Ron .
Thank you very much my friend .

Harry
You are most welcome Harry! I’m glad we could surprise you and Nancy. I hope you will use both knives. Just like a team of borrowed mules! It’s like I was telling Pam just now! I’ve got a lot of knives. Truth be told (probably too many)! ;) We’ve got friends too. But, we’re extremely proud to know and count you and Nancy as close friends! :thumbsup: Y’all stay safe and well! :)

These two helped add more fencing to the garden, mowed and weedeated the rest. I'm tired. Been working since 8am! :confused: :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
gCJ0jbm.jpg

HQ2unnz.jpg

Last edited:
Super pocketful of darkness Dylan :cool: :thumbsup:

Love seeing that beautiful picture of all that ebony.:cool::thumbsup:

I think I might have missed a quote or two but this software is darned unusable between 7-7:30pm Pacific as of late...

In any case, thank you for the kind compliments, fellas!

A splash of color for me today.

VqXzaRn.jpg

Thank you JJ, great start to the week there :) :thumbsup:
Thanks so much Jack!!!
My Greedy Threesome today, Unity Lambsfoot, Winchester Bull-Head, and @paulhilborn 's boyhood Olsen (as you can see, that's an old pic! :D) :thumbsup:

fXFvHL0.jpg

Xer6jjm.jpg

rGcBstc.jpg
What a lovely threesome you have today; a wonderful Sheffield lamb followed by a sweet BB Winchester and a classic old Solingen fixed blade, very cool!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Today’s totes showing off a tulip bud. Brave and hardy tulip, because it’s only 34 degrees f. And I was sort of dreading work in this chilly, windy weather, until I saw the snowpocalypse photos posted by btb01 btb01 !:confused:
0ebbfcd1-97c2-4968-a0f5-b4ee52acbd96-jpeg.1321137
a60b8611-c9aa-4016-908c-afccaf3988b2-jpeg.1321138
GEC & Camillus
Great shots of your very sharp looking totes today, Jeff; I can literally feel the points of both clips blades!:eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Two fine GEC's this morning JJ! :thumbsup: :)
Thank you kindly, Ron!!!
After a rough and stormy night I needed one with some color to cheer me up! :D The #53 TK Cuban with Christmas Lights Acrylic fills the bill for colorful! :thumbsup: The other one, well it's a Lambsfoot! ;) A TEW with Bexoid handles! Y'all stay safe out there! :)

49768726573_2ed3078021_o.jpg
I can see the clouds clearing "way out west:" it must be your excellent pairing today!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Your wonderful old tote is definitely the "cat's meow" Gev; love the unique federal style shield, as well!;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Much Thanks, JJ. Love the lighting, particularly on the blade and bolsters. The color of the jigged 29 is exquisite.
Thank you very much, Harvey!!!
Robeson Cutlery/Rochester(1917-1939) with the Iron Horse.
E4D263F2-01A8-4B38-86A5-840DFAAAAFF3_zpsclifpmha.jpeg

Sheffield Lamb Foot with a sandwich cookie.
c2abd877-a910-406a-94f1-2b39dcd4c6fb-jpeg.1321347
Two fabulous images and totes today; I really dig the old Robeson with the BB card of Lou "Iron Man" Gehrig; what an era!:rolleyes::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I, too, noticed a warp in the weave as the sun crossed over the yardarm signaling the Cocktail Hour.

oM621ue.jpg
That's hilarious Stuart!!! Very cool Queen, too!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
How cool is that!

A few of his quotes:
"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!"

"Each age has deemed the new-born year the fittest time for festal cheer."

"Look back, and smile on perils past."

Along with me today is this "Little David" from Bud Nealy. I like the knife, very handy. I also like it because my little brother is named David. I won't show the belt sheath as it's one of those modern thingamabobs.
cXXNGzH.jpg

I don't think he layed many of the bricks himself Gary ;) Your Nealy is cute as a button my friend :) :thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliment Stuart! I believe the Lambsfoot is what they call Bexoid. It’s probably similar to gumfuddy. I’m sure Jack Jack Black Jack Black can tell us more about the material. :)

You’re not losing your marbles Jack! You probably shot them all up in your sling shots! :eek: :D Thanks for the compliment Jack and thanks for the well wishes. Tornadoes can be a scary thing. :)

Sheffield cutlers still call those covers Bexoid today, even though they are now made from a more modern, and slightly harder plastic. Bexoid was cellulose acetate, and one of a range of plastics made by the British Xylonite Company. It was used by many Sheffield knife manufacturers, perhaps most famously, for WW2 era British Army clasp knives, which were produced in huge quantities in the city :thumbsup:

Maybe Ron! :D I bet they can, they're very rare here. You stay safe pal :thumbsup:

You better get bad, Jack!

LOL! :D Can I get :grumpy: ?! ;) :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black - Many thanks, Jack. That Unity Lamb Foot is special.

Thank you Harvey :)

I'm becoming marble-less like Jack. You mentioned the Bexoid material previously, but I put my brain in PARK and my mouth in DRIVE.
- Stuart

There was a time, long ago, when I used to put a lot of those in my mouth Stuart ;) :D :thumbsup:

hqdefault.jpg

Robeson Cutlery/Rochester(1917-1939) with the Iron Horse.
E4D263F2-01A8-4B38-86A5-840DFAAAAFF3_zpsclifpmha.jpeg

Sheffield Lamb Foot with a sandwich cookie.
View attachment 1321347

Fantastic pics Harvey :) :thumbsup:

I was curios if Bexoid was a boring name for Gumfuddy, so I looked it up.

I found an old article describing how Bexoid was a suitable substitute for the celluloid they used to make ping pong balls out of! It’s a celluloid oxide with plasticizers that made it not flammable like celluloid. Of course, I had a mental image of a ping pong ball exploding when my Dad would kill me with a slam shot. Never did, but man, he could rock the slam shot.

Another article credits Case with using Gumfuddy during WWII, when they couldn’t get natural materials.

Mr Black will doubtless have more info.

Cheers!

No, you got it my friend :) :thumbsup:

Carrying today : Was about to head out the door to go to Wally World when my friend fromTennessee Half/Stop Half/Stop Ron called to talk and after a while he advised that I should check my mailbox first . Well I did as we left .

Ron knew that I had given away 2 of the 2019 Blade Forums Knife and had none left .

As I am typing , my Waynorth Lambfoot and the 2019 BF Knife are in my pockets and I am a very happy guy and extremely proud to know and have a friend like Ron .

Harry

Wonderful gifts from one great guy to another :) Well done Ron, looks like Pam did a great job of those masks :) Who'd have thought we'd have been gifting each other masks six months ago? o_O Sure is a great time for ugly folk! :D :thumbsup:

I had this knife in my pocket yesterday: a MYERS melon tester (4 13/16"). A really nice carry.

tlISKdN.jpg

7vMDDex.jpg

Gpetfsb.jpg

Today, I switched that for these two: a waterfall-clad Schrade citrus tester (4 7/16", 1946-1973) and an L L Bean melon tester/taster combo (made in Italy, 4 3/4").

P99LzxN.jpg

3V7bS02.jpg

kHmJnfy.jpg

wNtxCHl.jpg

I'm pretty sure that the Schrade was a gift from my Uncle Romie to his brother, my stepfather from whom I inherited most of my knives, as Uncle Romie was a paper products engineer who worked for National Container Corporation in Jacksonville, FL and lived in Ponte Vedra. It feels extra light in my pocket. The Bean knife is an anomaly for me, as I usually eschew eating with folding knives. But a nice cold melon nearby . . .
- Stuart

Welcome to the Dark Side Stuart! :D Very interesting :cool: I forgot, I have one of those, I thought it was for sampling sausage, which is what I'm likely to use it for? ;) :thumbsup:

twrmBP9.jpg

Alox Knife of the Week is an '86 Soldier (thanks, Ken):
View attachment 1321459

non-Alox SAK of the Week is a Tinker:
View attachment 1321460

Bailed non-SAK is a Marbles "demo" knife:
View attachment 1321465

International Knife of the Week is a Mercator Black Cat:
View attachment 1321466

- GT

Great knives for tough times Gary :thumbsup:

These two helped add more fencing to the garden, mowed and weedeated the rest. I'm tired. Been working since 8am! :confused: :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
gCJ0jbm.jpg

HQ2unnz.jpg

Nice work Taylor, and a nicely-matched working pair :thumbsup:

View attachment 1321474 Ebony Lambfoot and a (new!) Case peanut. A cold and windy April day with the first little flowers to poke their noses out - some kind of Siberian something or other - I can never remember the name.

Those two go well together Ben, nice pic :thumbsup:

Tuesday is it? :confused: Have a good one folks, and stay safe :thumbsup:

I picked up a bit of a mixture today, a Rosewood Hartshead Barlow, beautiful John Primble English Jack gifted to me by D Duckdog , and a knife Duane @sitflyer sent me many years ago, made from a cook's knife he sailed the world with, I call it my Chef's Special ;) :thumbsup:

jlUOaBQ.jpg

KpF9BhN.jpg

aaRp8is.jpg

The last week I've been going to work with a lower back that's out and when I'm home have been hurting too bad to want to get online so I had a LOT of catchup to do on the forum here.
Today is my 41st b-day
20200413_215306_copy_1512x2016.jpg 20200413_215225_copy_1512x2016.jpg

20200413_231907_copy_1612x1209.jpg
This has been my favorite carry lately.

Good Morning and Happy Saturday to Everybody
That's really nice work, thanks for sharing.

Paint it Black...Ebony Talon today. The Orthodox Church is near where I live, no bells tolling in the early morning or Easter Mass :( But it's still Easter:thumbsup:

That's because their Easter is next week. ;) Nice Talon there! :thumbsup:

This photo reminded me of how much I enjoy the international nature of this forum - all sorts of knives in settings I would never see anywhere else. Beautiful knife and beautiful picture!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Pascha is the day all Orthodox are on the same calendar. I'm new calendar and most of my family is old calendar but Pascha we all agree on.

I finally got outside for a walk.
Lambsfoot:
5uO6clR.jpg

Coltsfoot:
ct04ztf.jpg
Enjoy seeing pictures of herbs, I work with them all day long but in the dried and chopped or ground state.

They're very well-built Barrett :) That's quite a weather variation! :eek: Don't lose your Bullnose pal :D :thumbsup:

Cool photos Barrett! :thumbsup: Literally speaking! ;) :D

Thanks, guys! :thumbsup: That Bull Nose is Eleanor’s knife (or will be some day), and maybe she was afraid I’d lose it in the snow, ‘cause today she insisted on going out and shoveling all the snow off the porch. :D

x5jMubC.jpg

(She really did ask to go out and shovel snow. She thinks it’s great! I figure by the time she old enough to actually clear the driveway, she won’t want to do it anymore.) :confused: :D

Harry

That’s a great care package, Harry! Well done, Ron! I have that same Maserin, and mine came ridiculously sharp, as well. It’s a nice little knife. :thumbsup:

I had my Big Biscuit Special with me again today. (Recycled photo, taken in West Bay, Dorset, England.)

3M7W2gH.jpg

The last week I've been going to work with a lower back that's out and when I'm home have been hurting too bad to want to get online so I had a LOT of catchup to do on the forum here.
Today is my 41st b-day
View attachment 1321587 View attachment 1321588

View attachment 1321589
This has been my favorite carry lately.

Sorry to hear about your back, hope it's feeling better soon :thumbsup: And Happy Birthday youngster!! :D Many Happy Returns, that looks like a great cake :) :thumbsup:

After seeing that cool Gehrig/Robeson post by cigarrodog cigarrodog I have Robeson on my mind. :)

Fabulous pair JJ :cool: :thumbsup:

Thanks, guys! :thumbsup: That Bull Nose is Eleanor’s knife (or will be some day), and maybe she was afraid I’d lose it in the snow, ‘cause today she insisted on going out and shoveling all the snow off the porch. :D

x5jMubC.jpg

(She really did ask to go out and shovel snow. She thinks it’s great! I figure by the time she old enough to actually clear the driveway, she won’t want to do it anymore.) :confused: :D

That’s a great care package, Harry! Well done, Ron! I have that same Maserin, and mine came ridiculously sharp, as well. It’s a nice little knife. :thumbsup:

I had my Big Biscuit Special with me again today. (Recycled photo, taken in West Bay, Dorset, England.)

3M7W2gH.jpg

Awwww :) Well done Eleanor! :D I can (just) remember the days when chores were fun ;) :thumbsup:

Back