What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

The last week I've been going to work with a lower back that's out and when I'm home have been hurting too bad to want to get online so I had a LOT of catchup to do on the forum here.
Today is my 41st b-day
View attachment 1321587 View attachment 1321588

View attachment 1321589
This has been my favorite carry lately.

That's really nice work, thanks for sharing.

Pascha is the day all Orthodox are on the same calendar. I'm new calendar and most of my family is old calendar but Pascha we all agree on.

Enjoy seeing pictures of herbs, I work with them all day long but in the dried and chopped or ground state.

Happy Birthday!

Black Box Stockman, a mainstay. Today & yesterday heavy snow and winter tyres off the car, looks horrible outside wet snow to walk in-spiked boots in April :eek: At least one has a decent knife to hand:)

noYG6AP.jpg

The last week I've been going to work with a lower back that's out and when I'm home have been hurting too bad to want to get online so I had a LOT of catchup to do on the forum here.
Today is my 41st b-day

Happy birthday @Rose and Thistle Custom! Getting older is sometimes painful, hope you are able to get some rest for your back soon.

My birthday cake will have as many candles as yours next Friday.

Welcome to the Dark Side Stuart! :D Very interesting :cool: I forgot, I have one of those, I thought it was for sampling sausage, which is what I'm likely to use it for? ;)
They're called melon testers and sausage samplers pretty interchangeably. Probably depends on what sort of business's name is on it. Or what the owner uses it for. AGR calls them fruit samplers in his catalogues, I believe.

been hurting too bad to want to get online so I had a LOT of catchup to do on the forum here.
Today is my 41st b-day
Happy Birthday. I had crippling lower back pain when I was 19. I never knew what that was about, but it went away.

I can see the clouds clearing "way out west:" it must be your excellent pairing today!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks JJ! :)

Sheffield cutlers still call those covers Bexoid today, even though they are now made from a more modern, and slightly harder plastic. Bexoid was cellulose acetate, and one of a range of plastics made by the British Xylonite Company. It was used by many Sheffield knife manufacturers, perhaps most famously, for WW2 era British Army clasp knives, which were produced in huge quantities in the city :thumbsup:

Maybe Ron! :D I bet they can, they're very rare here. You stay safe pal :thumbsup:

Wonderful gifts from one great guy to another :) Well done Ron, looks like Pam did a great job of those masks :) Who'd have thought we'd have been gifting each other masks six months ago? o_O Sure is a great time for ugly folk! :D :thumbsup:
Thanks for the Bexoid info Jack. :thumbsup: Gum Fuddy or Bexoid they’re still ugly, but they are durable! :) Pam did an excellent job with the materials she had on hand. You’re right my friend! Who would have thought we’d be sewing masks and actually having to wear them! :(

We first met Harry and Nancy three years ago at the Rendezvous. Harry and I had talked on the phone a lot before we ever met. We knew we had a lot of things in common from our past careers. When we met them they became instant friends. It was like we had known them for years. They are just super nice people! :D

We were supposed to visit Harry @Old Engineer and Nancy to attend the Janesville knife show back in March. We were going to have breakfast with Barrett @btb01, Harvey @cigarrodog, Jeff @Amir Fleschwund and Neal @herder. We were planning this for months and we were sorely disappointed when it was canceled because of Covid! :(

I had known that Harry had given up both of his forum knives to family members. I was planning to gift him one of my knives at the Janesville Show. Since that didn’t get to happen I was trying to figure out how and when to surprise him. Last week we were talking on the phone and he brought up the Maserin Plow that CK has on their web site. He had indicated that he might decide to buy one. I just happened to have one that I had previously purchased but never used. :thumbsup:

The light bulb immediately came on! :eek: Pam was sewing masks so I told her to get some ready that we were going to mail Harry and Nancy a care package from Tennessee! :)

Welcome to the Dark Side Stuart! :D Very interesting :cool: I forgot, I have one of those, I thought it was for sampling sausage, which is what I'm likely to use it for? ;) :thumbsup:

twrmBP9.jpg

Tuesday is it? :confused: Have a good one folks, and stay safe :thumbsup:

I picked up a bit of a mixture today, a Rosewood Hartshead Barlow, beautiful John Primble English Jack gifted to me by @Duckdog , and a knife Duane @sitflyer sent me many years ago, made from a cook's knife he sailed the world with, I call it my Chef's Special ;) :thumbsup:

jlUOaBQ.jpg

KpF9BhN.jpg

aaRp8is.jpg
Nice sausage sampler Jack! :thumbsup: Three great choices for your Tuesday. Stay safe my friend! :) :thumbsup:

Today is my 41st b-day
View attachment 1321587 View attachment 1321588

View attachment 1321589
This has been my favorite carry lately.
Happy Birthday! I hope you can get some relief for your back pain. :) Great carry choices! :thumbsup:

After seeing that cool Gehrig/Robeson post by @cigarrodog I have Robeson on my mind. :)
Nice Robesons there JJ! :) :thumbsup:

Thanks, guys! :thumbsup: That Bull Nose is Eleanor’s knife (or will be some day), and maybe she was afraid I’d lose it in the snow, ‘cause today she insisted on going out and shoveling all the snow off the porch. :D

x5jMubC.jpg

(She really did ask to go out and shovel snow. She thinks it’s great! I figure by the time she old enough to actually clear the driveway, she won’t want to do it anymore.) :confused: :D

That’s a great care package, Harry! Well done, Ron! I have that same Maserin, and mine came ridiculously sharp, as well. It’s a nice little knife. :thumbsup:

I had my Big Biscuit Special with me again today. (Recycled photo, taken in West Bay, Dorset, England.)

3M7W2gH.jpg
Great photo of Eleanor there Barrett! :thumbsup: Priceless times my friend. :) You’ll wake up one morning and she’ll be moved off to some faraway city! Well, maybe not. ;) Just enjoy every moment and I know you do! :thumbsup: Thanks for the kind words Barrett! Harry’s my buddy! :D I love that Biscuit Special, I believe I’ll get one of mine out to carry today. Stay safe! :) :thumbsup:

They're called melon testers and sausage samplers pretty interchangeably. Probably depends on what sort of business's name is on it. Or what the owner uses it for. AGR calls them fruit samplers in his catalogues, I believe.

Yeah, I have a couple without the fork :) This one, by Wusthof, has meaty associations :D

ZujM2hY.jpg

While the other, has an unusual 'holster', which looks like it's designed to be fixed to a bar or counter.

3mBLb9d.jpg

I don't have a great deal of use for such a long, slim blade, but I think the related patterns are interesting nonetheless :) :thumbsup:

Thanks for the Bexoid info Jack. :thumbsup: Gum Fuddy or Bexoid they’re still ugly, but they are durable! :)

Yeah, you can't bash it off with a hammer Ron! :D I see an awful lot of battered Army clasp knives, but the scales are always still there! :rolleyes: I have this one, by TEW, where the Bexoid has been smoothed out on one side only. I imagine some young soldier, with time on his hands, sat in a desert slit trench, smoothing out the Bexoid with a hot spoon. Then his sergeant coming along, and bawling at him, or Rommel appearing on the horizon, and the job never getting finished :rolleyes: ;) :thumbsup:

R3X8wUp.jpg

Pam did an excellent job with the materials she had on hand. You’re right my friend! Who would have thought we’d be sewing masks and actually having to wear them! :(

So I see my friend :) Pretty crazy times :(

We first met Harry and Nancy three years ago at the Rendezvous. Harry and I had talked on the phone a lot before we ever met. We knew we had a lot of things in common from our past careers. When we met them they became instant friends. It was like we had known them for years. They are just super nice people! :D

We were supposed to visit Harry @Old Engineer and Nancy to attend the Janesville knife show back in March. We were going to have breakfast with Barrett @btb01, Harvey @cigarrodog, Jeff @Amir Fleschwund and Neal @herder. We were planning this for months and we were sorely disappointed when it was canceled because of Covid! :(

I had known that Harry had given up both of his forum knives to family members. I was planning to gift him one of my knives at the Janesville Show. Since that didn’t get to happen I was trying to figure out how and when to surprise him. Last week we were talking on the phone and he brought up the Maserin Plow that CK has on their web site. He had indicated that he might decide to buy one. I just happened to have one that I had previously purchased but never used. :thumbsup:

The light bulb immediately came on! :eek: Pam was sewing masks so I told her to get some ready that we were going to mail Harry and Nancy a care package from Tennessee! :)

Great story Ron, that's nice :) @herder told me about Janesville, that's a real shame, what a great bunch! Hopefully you can all meet up again next year my friend :)

Nice sausage sampler Jack! :thumbsup: Three great choices for your Tuesday. Stay safe my friend! :) :thumbsup:

Thanks buddy :) I sure wish I had some nice sausages to sample! :D :thumbsup:

today, being Tuesday, my "big" knife is the Schrade Walden trapper... this knife is just flawless. Every bit as good as any GEC I've seen, and in my opinion, the perfect size for a trapper.
My small watch pocket knife is a little Dan Burke Queen... like a mini copperhead. It almost qualifies for "dainty" status, but is a pretty knife with winterbottom bone handles.

jCYnac.jpg
jCYeM1.jpg

I’ll admit that my carry choices for today have been influenced by some others this morning. ;) I’ve got “Biscuit”, my modded Northfield 47 and my Jack Black SFO Rosewood Hartshead Barlow. I hope everyone is doing well this morning! :) :thumbsup:

48759009277_b5b41660f6_o_d.jpg

48113323471_eb08cd0999_o_d.jpg

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sure is a great time for ugly folk!
Lol... :D
It's too bad we can't get out and mingle more. ;)

Today is my 41st b-day
Sorry to hear about your back... But Happy Birthday! :cool::thumbsup:

That's really nice work, thanks for sharing.
Thank you, Mr. Thistle. :)

What a BIG help... Awesome! :cool::thumbsup:

Back