What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Fabulous pair JJ :cool: :thumbsup:
Thank you Jack!!!
Nice Robesons there JJ! :) :thumbsup:
Thanks a lot, Ron!!!
I’ll admit that my carry choices for today have been influenced by some others this morning. ;) I’ve got “Biscuit”, my modded Northfield 47 and my Jack Black SFO Rosewood Hartshead Barlow. I hope everyone is doing well this morning! :) :thumbsup:

48759009277_b5b41660f6_o_d.jpg

48113323471_eb08cd0999_o_d.jpg
Very cool mod on your 47; it goes very nicely with your JB HHB!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Yeah, I have a couple without the fork :) This one, by Wusthof, has meaty associations :D

ZujM2hY.jpg

While the other, has an unusual 'holster', which looks like it's designed to be fixed to a bar or counter.

3mBLb9d.jpg

I don't have a great deal of use for such a long, slim blade, but I think the related patterns are interesting nonetheless :) :thumbsup:

Yeah, you can't bash it off with a hammer Ron! :D I see an awful lot of battered Army clasp knives, but the scales are always still there! :rolleyes: I have this one, by TEW, where the Bexoid has been smoothed out on one side only. I imagine some young soldier, with time on his hands, sat in a desert slit trench, smoothing out the Bexoid with a hot spoon. Then his sergeant coming along, and bawling at him, or Rommel appearing on the horizon, and the job never getting finished :rolleyes: ;) :thumbsup:

R3X8wUp.jpg
I really like the contrast between your long lean "testers" and your very tough and burly UK Army clasp knife; 2 "good show" and 1 "all go!":eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Being

49773466301_83f679bd09_b.jpg

Esther Perel
What a wonderfully serene image; it feels very art deco, lovely!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Stratospheric !!!!!
Thank you kindly, Gev!!!
For Twofer Twosday, I toted a couple of Cases: a 24 pattern regular jack (1920-1940) and a CASE XX fishing knife (1940-1965), the latter I used to cut old mono off of some baitcasting reels. Its sharpened false swedge hooked and cut the line easily.

riUr4ug.jpg

vEQlGkG.jpg
Those two Case beauties really have some great character; fantastic!;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thank you JJ. You’re the one who directly sparked my interest in Robesons, like the fine pair you’re showing today. Always with a great image.
You are very kind Harvey, thanks!!!
1-XL Lamb Foot.
580737d9-43cb-424f-950c-6d163fcbc417-jpeg.1322167

ZW knife, opener, bit holder
3a6be693-130e-4020-aeb6-195cf92aff13-jpeg.1322169
I don't think I can describes your I-XL any better than Stuart (@Duckdog) already has; beautiful imagery too!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black - Thank you Jack. Love the tester. I would use the fork when the cigar was getting to short to hold, fine image. Also love your Bexoid TEW.

Thanks Harvey :D A cigar fork is a useful feature on old(er) knives, I think @paulhilborn has one :) :thumbsup:

Thanks, guys. Jeff, I have a nice old-school hardware store within walking distance from my house, staffed with nice young men who know their way around a hardware store. Ron Half/Stop Half/Stop has ventured there with me. They have just about everything you need (nails by the pound, drawers of screws/bolts.nuts/washers, axes), but only a modest knife display. I like to drop in and pull out an old Case or Queen and ask them how old they think it is. After they CF/CE it a bit, I'll let them know it is 4 times their age. They always ask to see it again.

That sounds great Stuart, good old-fashioned hardware stores are rare here these days :( :thumbsup:

Handsome photo :) :thumbsup:

Thank you Jack!!!

I really like the contrast between your long lean "testers" and your very tough and burly UK Army clasp knife; 2 "good show" and 1 "all go!":eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you JJ :) Yes, quite a contrast! :D :thumbsup:

Going with a couple wood clad lock backs; one from the South of France and the other from the South of California. :)

Very different, but both excellent my friend :) :thumbsup:

Morning folks, I'm going with a Wooden Wednesday theme today, hope I've got the day right! :eek: Stay safe :thumbsup:

qnMGeYg.jpg

C0phBKm.jpg

GjMSQRK.jpg

Going turkey hunting and bass fishing for the next few days (leaving after this mornings teleconference). Carrying the following “arsenal” of knives with me. The Case 6318 and the Buck 110 will be on me, the others will wait in the truck until I need them. OH
Buck-121-Fisherman-late.jpg

Buck-110-Two-Dot.jpg

Case-2159-L-SSP-Hammerhead-1988.jpg

Case-6318-1976-2.jpg

Some knives that caught my eye last week. :rolleyes:

A lot of alluring Alox, LT, especially that old Cadet 2!

Case ebony stockman for Wooden Wednesday and my new Victorinox Electrician.

View attachment 1318055 View attachment 1318056
Exquisite ebony, Dean, and congrats on the new Electrician!

I like it a lot, but I’m not sure I would call it “fine”. Elegant perhaps? It is a friction folder, but very stiff to open and close, so no real risk of it closing unexpectedly. The carbon steel blade thin and slicey, and it packs a lot of blade in a light, slim package. The handle is plastic, and just a little too skinny for my long slim fingers to hold comfortably when doing pull-cuts. I love that it is made by a family-owned company in Catalonia. I have a few other knives from the same company and I really like them all:
According to this image from our friend @Jolipapa, this style appears to have a long heritage (1700’s?):
Thanks for the informative Pallares mini-review, Tom!

These two for me today.
Well-chosen, wonderful Wednesday wood, Dylan!

I’m carrying two SFO Barlow’s this morning! :) I’ve got a Sawcut Ancient TC Barlow from Charlie @waynorth and a Rosewood Hartshead Barlow from Jack Jack Black Jack Black . :thumbsup: Mighty fine company to spend the day with! Y’all stay safe out there! :)
Couple of impressive knives originating from a couple of impressive Porch members, Ron!

I carried these knives on my hike today. So nice to go out and I only passed at a distance two other people out at the park.

View attachment 1318596 View attachment 1318597
That Schrade Barlow is one of my favorites, Dean, and the orange pair brings some cheer to gloomy times!

My 3 with me at work today
View attachment 1318741
Thrilling threesome of single-blade folders, Chuck!

Heavy Metal
567B31DB-E69A-4D1F-A907-B37064D198FC_zpsrqhkcbgn.jpeg

3 splendid photos, Harvey, but this "Heavy Metal" knife and shot really go a hold on me!

Thought I'd tote these two Barlows today, a regular and a jumbo/daddy. :)
Fantastic father/son shot, JJ!

And because today is Friday, everything is black.;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Good Friday Carry
Your trio of black SAKs, José, and your black Case, John, are wonderful choices to remember the darkness of the original Good Friday!

A couple relics.
Those relics are real delicacies, Rachel! Relicacies??

These two today, 3 day weekend coming up for me :). Happy Friday!
Love that black/orange combo, Tom!

Marvelous shot of your stag HHB, Jack!

View attachment 1320436
May the Lord bless you and keep you, may He make his face to shine upon you, and give you peace.
Always great to see the El Greco, Joshua, and to read that priestly benediction from Numbers! (I have a theologian friend who says there's nothing "trinitarian" about that blessing, but it sure strikes me as "job descriptions" of the 3 Persons of the Trinity.)

Sowbelly of the Week:
tobacco.sow.mark.3open.jpg

Stockman of the Week:
stock.mark.3open.jpg

Economy Canoe (my first-ever canoe):
canoe.ajb.closed.jpg

Premium Canoe:
book.mark.2open.jpg

- GT

Sorry to have been in abstensia. As I mentioned to Ron Half/Stop Half/Stop in a text a bit back, I'm not diseased, just distracted. Amid the COVID-19 miasma and my back therapy, Miss Norma and I were blessed with the birth of our first grandbaby.
I guess a few of you feel the loss of John Prine. He spoke for the the diminished folks among us and he spoke clearly. God has him now.

- Stuart
Congrats on the birth, Gramps!
I hope your therapy drives off the sciatica symptoms ASAP.
I appreciated your John Prine tribute and the link to a touching song I hadn't heard before.

Thanks, John; that old Case half congress a fine little knife.

Your Palm Sunday photo and knife are gorgeous, Gary. I have seen the Excelsior; I have a Secretary in silver alox. :)
Thanks for the compliment and Vic info, Dean.

Thank you very much Gary, I really liked it, but from what I saw it is very expensive.;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Yes, many knives are just for admiring online because they're beyond the limits of my knife budget.

Nice picture and a lot of good knives including this excellent AC, Gary.:):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thank you, José.

John Prine was a beautiful person. May he rest easy. Here’s one of my favorites.

5K Qs 5K Qs - Thank you for the kind words, GT. Your Imperial serpentine Jack is the living end.
I've certainly enjoyed the links to Prine songs. Thanks for this one, Harvey, and thanks for the kind words about my Imperial jack. (I wonder what the origin of the phrase "living end" is?)

Thank you very much Gary!!! It seems like the canoe pattern has really gotten popular over the last few decades!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Very handy and pocketable threesome today; I see you slipped in another sharp little Imperial, always a cool choice!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I appreciate your remarks, JJ; thanks for taking the time.

Sorry for not remembering Gary, it's a really cool knife, and a great gift :cool: Thanks for the kind words :) :thumbsup:

Quality trio buddy :thumbsup:
No apologies needed, Jack; I don't always remember all of my own knives, so I can hardly expect others to remember what I have. Thanks for the good word on my trio, and congrats on a fine Good Friday trio of your own!

Fantastic threesome Gary :thumbsup:
Happy Easter folks :) Site is busy, and it's taken me nearly until lunchtime to catch up just a little. Just had my coffee and ginger biscuits :D Three black knives for me today ;) Have a good Sunday my friends, stay safe and well :thumbsup:
Thanks, again, Jack. I admire your ability to keep up with so many threads in this time of "heavy traffic" on The Porch!
I always enjoy seeing some Jack Black black jacks!

The Tinker is a go-to, too, for me, GT.
- Stuart
Thanks, Stuart.

Great knives for tough times Gary :thumbsup:

Nice work Taylor, and a nicely-matched working pair :thumbsup:
I picked up a bit of a mixture today, a Rosewood Hartshead Barlow, beautiful John Primble English Jack gifted to me by @Duckdog , and a knife Duane @sitflyer sent me many years ago, made from a cook's knife he sailed the world with, I call it my Chef's Special ;) :thumbsup:
Jack, when I posted those knives, I didn't realize it, but your quoting the post, mentioning "tough times", and addressing Taylor right after your remark to me, I suddenly noticed the coincidence: Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Sailor (a navy demo knife?). That reminds me that I've never read Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and should request it when the libraries reopen.
3 more fine knife choices for you; are you carrying 3 each day until normalcy returns?

The last week I've been going to work with a lower back that's out and when I'm home have been hurting too bad to want to get online so I had a LOT of catchup to do on the forum here.
Today is my 41st b-day...
Belated birthday greetings! I hope you get some relief from your back pain ASAP.

- GT

*cigar fork*

Morning folks, I'm going with a Wooden Wednesday theme today, hope I've got the day right! :eek: Stay safe :thumbsup:

qnMGeYg.jpg

C0phBKm.jpg

GjMSQRK.jpg
I keep coming back for another look at your old fixed blade. Captivated.

It may have been intended as a cigar fork, but they look perfect for getting sardines out of the can:D

Going turkey hunting and bass fishing for the next few days (leaving after this mornings teleconference). Carrying the following “arsenal” of knives with me. The Case 6318 and the Buck 110 will be on me, the others will wait in the truck until I need them. OH

Buck-110-Two-Dot.jpg

Case-6318-1976-2.jpg
Turkey hunting AND bass fishing! I’ll bet that teleconference will seem interminable. I just had a mental image of one of the sales meetings I used to have to attend... some self important bore droning on and on...
Hopefully yours is more professional:cool:

Nice varied background choices for your photos!

Very nice Harry, much like that Ron fella:D
Hey Paul! Thank you for the kind words. Stay safe my friend! :) :thumbsup:

Happy Tuesday, folks.

I had this one, amongst others, with me today. Made me think of Mike (knifeswapper) and I hope that he and his family are keeping well amidst these trying times.

EKTVgVP.jpg
Great Rams Horn Dylan! :thumbsup: :cool:

1-XL Lamb Foot.
View attachment 1322167

ZW knife, opener, bit holder
View attachment 1322169
Beautiful Lambsfoot Harvey! I’ve got to do some googlefoo on that ZW thingamybob, it’s sparked my interest a bit! :cool: :thumbsup:

Thanks, guys. Jeff, I have a nice old-school hardware store within walking distance from my house, staffed with nice young men who know their way around a hardware store. Ron Half/Stop Half/Stop has ventured there with me. They have just about everything you need (nails by the pound, drawers of screws/bolts.nuts/washers, axes), but only a modest knife display. I like to drop in and pull out an old Case or Queen and ask them how old they think it is. After they CF/CE it a bit, I'll let them know it is 4 times their age. They always ask to see it again.

Oh, Lawd! Preserve me and give me strength! I have seen a heavenly glimpse and I can nothing else.

- Stuart
He’s telling the truth folks! :D This is one of the rare places that I have been to lately that took me back to my youth! And that’s a long time folks! :rolleyes: Very nice selection of items and a very knowledgeable and courteous staff. I actually needed some oil to keep at my daughters apartment for maintenance on my stash knives. I had forgotten about it until I turned around and saw the “3-In-One” on the shelf. It was just what the doctor ordered! :thumbsup: :D

Very cool mod on your 47; it goes very nicely with your JB HHB!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks JJ! :thumbsup: It’s a special knife for me. Here’s the story! :D

qnMGeYg.jpg

C0phBKm.jpg

GjMSQRK.jpg
Good morning Jack! Great choices for your Wooden Wednesday! Stay safe my friend! :) :thumbsup:

Buck-110-Two-Dot.jpg

Case-6318-1976-2.jpg
Good luck on your trip! :thumbsup: :)

Couple of impressive knives originating from a couple of impressive Porch members, Ron!
Thanks Gary! Two of our finest! :D

Off to deal with a bunch of downed trees and wind damage at a friends house. Nice change of pace from the endless zoom meetings.

Finally found my 110 in the recliner cushions after hunting for 3 months. Real dumb not to look in the recliner cushions. That’s like losing your keys and not looking on the key rack. ;)

Y’all have a good day!

View attachment 1322321 My Woodnesday contributions...
The big lambfoot by Taylor’s Eye Witness came dirt cheap on the internet because the original Gumfuddy covers were garbage. One had a crack all the way through so the two halves swung around on the pins, and the other had shrunk. You can see some dents in the walnut from last year. It was in my pocket while I was pressing up against a tractor struggling with something.

The old Ulster was in my box out in the shop. It also was dirt cheap because it was so filthy. I had thought it was a candidate for modding, but last night I gave the old girl a closer look, and decided the best way to honor her was clean her up, put a razor’s edge on, and carry her.
After flitzing the steel and scrubbing the old cocobolo, the TK-29 stamp became visible.View attachment 1322324 And as if April 15th didn’t carry ominous portent deeply ingrained into the psyche of the American taxpayer already, we have this revolting white junk out there!:eek::D
View attachment 1322322 On a sad note, we heard the news this morning that a local facility (6miles from our house) is the Virus hotspot in our area. It’s a housing facility for disabled and handicapped adults, and they have lost four or five of the older residents, with other residents and staff infected.

My daughter participates with many of them through the Special Recreation Association, and we have many friends and acquaintances with family members there, so my heart breaks at this news.:(

we heard the news this morning that a local facility (6miles from our house) is the Virus hotspot in our area. It’s a housing facility for disabled and handicapped adults, and they have lost four or five of the older residents, with other residents and staff infected.

My daughter participates with many of them through the Special Recreation Association, and we have many friends and acquaintances with family members there, so my heart breaks at this news.:(

Very sorry to hear that.... prayers for all those involved.

Back