What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

This one's been in my pocket since Christmas. The Spartan is the only SAK that has a main and small pen blade in a thin, two layer 91mm frame. I stand to be corrected.
20200312_143647 by Mark Saunders, on Flickr

- Mark
The Wenger Canyon is similar, but instead of a pen, it has a small clip blade. It actually makes a great whittler.
And it’s the “standard” Wenger 82mm instead of 91.
Since I carry a Wenger Esquire (their slightly bigger version of the Vic Classic) on my keys for fingernail fixing (a must for guitar players), I’d rather have an actual second blade on my bigger SAKs.

5BGSHil.jpg

My father’s Opinel I gifted him years ago. He always liked it because of it’s sharp blade. As you can see, he wasn’t afraid of patina. I recently darkened the handle.

He passed away about month ago. I think this knife reminds of him; humble yet sharp! He was a handyman who could fix anything and what he couldn’t he learned.
I still can’t believe he is gone..

I’m sorry about your Dad.
Mine is 86, and I treasure what time we have.
I’ll bet his old Opinel is precious to you.

5BGSHil.jpg

My father’s Opinel I gifted him years ago. He always liked it because of it’s sharp blade. As you can see, he wasn’t afraid of patina. I recently darkened the handle.

He passed away about month ago. I think this knife reminds of him; humble yet sharp! He was a handyman who could fix anything and what he couldn’t he learned.
My condolences on your loss! What a keepsake the Opinel will be!

FCB0-E9-D4-4-C23-4-BB1-A11-B-379-E12-B7-E649-1-201-a.jpg

Ironwoods in the overcast, drizzly daylight. Inadvertent selfie, too, I see.
Beautiful Ironwood there Joshua! :)

My heartfelt condolences to you on your dad's passing.
My dad passed away 15 years ago, and I still miss him every day.
Fond memories of your father, like I have of mine, will help make it easier. Peace be with you.

This one's been in my pocket since Christmas. The Spartan is the only SAK that has a main and small pen blade in a thin, two layer 91mm frame. I stand to be corrected.
20200312_143647 by Mark Saunders, on Flickr

- Mark
Now that I’m home, I got some pictures.
This is the 85mm 2 layer Wenger Canyon.View attachment 1331108Here it’s compared to another 2layer Wenger. Saw instead of secondary blade. Can’t remember the name.
View attachment 1331109
This shot compares the 2 layer 85mm to a 4 layer 91mm Victorinox...View attachment 1331110

EDIT: 85mm not 82mm ;)

Last edited:
"Small": 3 5/8 inch closed (excluding bail) Marbles MR278 "Demo" knife (LFP)

"Medium": 4 3/16 inch closed Rough Rider RR1838 'Hopalong Cassidy' 'Riders of the Silver Screen' Moose (RFP)

"Large": 4 1/4 inch closed Rough Rider RR603 (yellow) Stockman (RFP)

I needs to get a black belt so I can "hide" a Buck 110 black nylon sheath horizontally on the belt.
It still feels weird not having a Buck 110 as part of my carry.

I got out a couple of large wood clad totes today and one thing led to another. I had to wear my big pocket carpenter pants to tote them, which led to a late afternoon thirst, so I had to get a large beer. That's the problem with large knives.

zc0zWta.jpg

To keep from getting hammered, I put the Hammer Brand hunter and Maserin slicer in my pockets and the rest of the 32 oz beer away to chill and took Loki on a short walk. Wisteria and azalea blooms are making their last push, while cherry blossoms are mere confetti from Spring's parade now.

GNy06mi.jpg

O1N2Nc1.jpg

xGh6pFT.jpg

- Stuart

Great buy and excellent knife, Bill.;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks José. Appreciate you supportive comments. I love big Jacks and especially the GEC #86. Fit and finish of my Black Jack as well as this Northfield is superb and the action on both is smooth.

Now that I’m home, I got some pictures.
This is the 82mm 2 layer Wenger Canyon.View attachment 1331108Here it’s compared to another 2layer Wenger. Saw instead of secondary blade. Can’t remember the name.
View attachment 1331109

This shot compares the 2 layer 82mm to a 4 layer 91mm Victorinox...View attachment 1331110

Nice and slim and compact, but still with a secondary blade. I was wondering what that one looked like, thanks for sharing. That one with the saw has the weirdest bottle/tin opener I've ever seen.:eek:

Back