What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

wwloOzI.jpg
Cool little sleeveboard... Looks like they packed a lot of blade into that handle. :cool::thumbsup:

Been out in the yard picking up twigs, boughs, and limbs, got about 2/3 done, maybe another hour of pickup left. Fortunately that is all the hurricane damage we had - lots of folks just south of us without power. My pocket companion this morning is a favorite - the GEC #66 Calf Roper (medium Stockman). OH
GEC-661317-Calf-Roper-2.jpg

Jack Black Jack Black Thanks for posting the vintage advertisement - I thought the Seahorse Whittler design was something from the fertile minds of the marketing geniuses at Case! I hadn’t seen the historical design it was based on before. Got to give it to the knife industry (and Case especially) - coming up with a good name for a pattern sells knives! OH

Jack Black Jack Black Thanks for posting the vintage advertisement - I thought the Seahorse Whittler design was something from the fertile minds of the marketing geniuses at Case! I hadn’t seen the historical design it was based on before. Got to give it to the knife industry (and Case especially) - coming up with a good name for a pattern sells knives! OH

A pleasure my friend :) Joseph Rodgers claimed that the Wharncliffe Knife was invented by Lord Wharncliffe, who secured them their Royal Warrant. Certainly it was named for him, but I have always thought it was merely a piece of flattery, and recently found an old Sheffield cutlery advert claiming that the pattern was actually invented by a certain doctor (I have the name somewhere!*) . Many believe the name of the knife simply refers to the blade, but of course that pattern of blade is not unique to the Wharncliffe Knife. It is seen on Rodgers' Norfolk Knife, as seen in the advertisement, for example, and on the Ettrick of course. You are right about marketing, but it didn't start with Case :D :thumbsup:

* Edit - "Made [by Rodgers] at the suggestion of Dr Corbett."

Last edited:
Thanks Barrett, I guess if you tire of one color you have a noticeable difference on the other side:eek: and you are correct, it is the junior version. I really like your woodland micarta:cool:

Thanks, Paul! I’ve got the #23LL in the Micarta and Beaver Tail (so far). I like the Beaver Tail more, so I decided I’d “abuse” the Micarta for a while. :D

It was not a Belt & Suspenders kind of day with both 23s in my pockets . Because of having visitors for 3 days and being very busy , it was a sit around day to relax .

Harry

Sounds good, Harry! :D Hope you had a nice relaxing day. :thumbsup:

Nice knife, I am courious if you would know if the covers are held on by melting pins on the inside of the scales or are the pins visible on the outside the only way they are mechanically fastened?

I'm not sure what the interior of the scales look like, but I am quite satisfied with the fitment of the scales to the liners -- I cannot find any gaps whatsoever. If I were to hazard a guess, I think that there might be some sort of adhesive on the inside in addition to the brass pins visible on the outside.

Back