What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Nice JP :) Stone and brick on my street, high ceilings and slate roofs. South facing, so one side of the house can get a bit too hot at times, but generally OK. A few houses on the street seem to be colder inside in winter than outdoors though! :eek: Not mine though, which has a tropical micro-climate ;) :D :thumbsup:
All around Paris, where streets are called boulevard des Maréchaux, Ney, Murat, Poniatowski, Lannes, Soult, Exelmans, etc, (because they all got napoleonic marshals names) are lots of architecturally good looking, good quality, pre-ww2 social housings blocks, all of red bricks. In the neighbouring streets also, though less dense. Mine was probably intended to be part of one (next building sports a police station -that never was- scripting).
It is oriented South/North with large windows North and is -except on especially hot days like these days- nicely fresh in summer. My flat still has the original windows on the North side that need to be replaced. One is a 7 lights, wide and tall, awfully expensive for a wood (rather than plastic or aluminium) replacement with double glazing. (at the begining of July, a violent air stream slammed it and a glass falled :(, happily noone was hurt! I live on the 6th floor :eek:)
This is today's edc (and tomorrow also) :)
25_eau.jpg

View attachment 1393968

View attachment 1393969

Incoming from Bret.

@dispatch184 , I believe I finally found the Sowbelly I was looking for Drew.

@Gevonovich , thanks for posting your Sowbelly once again. That has to be one of the most beautiful knives in the Forum. That jigging is intoxicating.

@JJ Cahill , love that old red Case Barlow. That’s one of the few knives I could buy over and over again. Everyone is slightly different and beautiful in a unique way.

JTB_5 JTB_5 , no good deed goes unpunished! I am sure your kids had a blast chasing down those chickens. Your neighbor is lucky to have you. You aren’t grilling chicken are you? I decided several months ago that I would rather just buy my eggs at the local farmer’s market!

Corto_Malt Corto_Malt , welcome to the Porch! I see you are from France. Could you tell
us a little bit about yourself and the type of knives you like? Glad you are here.

Last edited:
View attachment 1393968

View attachment 1393969

Incoming from Bret.

@Gevonovich , thanks for posting your Sowbelly once again. That has to be one of the most beautiful knives in the Forum. That jigging is intoxicating.

@JJ Cahill , love that old red Case Barlow. That’s one of the few knives I could buy over and over again. Everyone is slightly different and beautiful in a unique way.

JTB_5 JTB_5 , no good deed goes unpunished! I am sure your kids had a blast chasing down those chickens. Your neighbor is lucky to have you. You aren’t grilling chicken are you? I decided several months ago that I would rather just buy my eggs at the local farmer’s market!

Corto_Malt Corto_Malt , welcome to the Porch! I see you are from France. Could you tell
us a little bit about yourself and the type of knives you like? Glad you are here.
It was a fun adventure to be sure. My neighbor’s father who helped us round up the chickens said, “those eggs better taste really good!”

I picked this one up from my friend Ron last year in August. Thanks Ron. I’m still loving it.
fuiOwld.jpg
It’s still a beautiful knife Travis! :) Maybe you’ll find some nice ones this year too! :thumbsup:

Hey~ Happy Anniversary to you and Mrs Hunter, Bruce! I’m sure you both think you really got blessed in the marriage lottery.:D
Your modded 33 is STUNNING. Schrade shouldacouldawoulda made those with the sheepfoot all along.:thumbsup:

A belated Happy Anniversary to you and the missus Bruce :) :thumbsup:

Thank you very much gentlemen. 43 years down and not sure how many to go - but we’re going to keep plugging along. OH

Hope everyone has had a good week :) 2018 Guardians Lambsfoot in ebony today, and an Old Friend, in the form of my Case Sodbuster Jnr :) :thumbsup:

rXkoW4i.jpg

Ngpc2QR.jpg

Good looking pair of patinated users, Jack! :thumbsup:

Today in the pocket with Victorinox in stag.;):thumbsup:

Beautiful stag on that!

Well folks! I would have spent the night on the Porch of Great Eastern Cutlery last night. The excitement would be building for the doors opening at 7:00 AM. By now we would have heard what the Rendezvous knife for 2020 would have been. Pam saw on Facebook where there is still some people meeting for a unofficial Nondezvous as they are calling it. They are eating at Cross Creek Resort tonight, which is always a Friday evening treat. They are also having a picnic at Mystic Park tomorrow. This is the same venue GEC always uses. I hope they all have a great time and can stay safe and well. We just couldn’t justify a 1400 mile round trip for a couple of meals and no special knives. Not to mention the serious health risks for people of our age. After all I want to be able to see all my friends at the 2021 Rendezvous! :D In honor of the occasion here’s a couple of my favorites from the 2019 Rendezvous! :D

48519010876_26ac6eaf54_o_d.jpg

Sorry about the Rendezvous, Ron. :( A disappointment, for sure (especially for those of you who go every year), but probably the right call. I’m hoping to make it there one of these years; maybe next year! :D Beautiful pair of rendezvous specials you’ve got there! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Noon. Was up to 39°(102+F) at 3pm. Minima is 3° pessimistic). Wind ESE, well, if there was any... relaative humidity... forget!:)
View attachment 1393578

:eek::eek:

Only 26c here (plus that is not minus ;)) very nice day too. But that heat...:poop: Odd thing is that brick houses or blocks really heat up here after a few days of heat and retain it like bakehouses:( Whereas, wooden houses stay very warm in winter and cool in summer due to insulation.

My suggestion for re-hydrating: Couple of ice cold Gin&Tonics with Lime, nicely chilled White with selection of fruits and cheeses:thumbsup: then staying in with the shutters down and marvelling at your favourite (current) knife :)

Thanks, Will

Stay cool, JP! (I like Will’s suggestion of a couple ice cold G&Ts! ;))

We had a nice run of three or four days here in Minnesota with highs in the low 70’s (22°C).

Still carrying my Woodland Micarta #23.

429pyQg.jpg

View attachment 1393968

View attachment 1393969

Incoming from Bret.

Fantastic arrival, simple yet alluring :cool::thumbsup:

Regards, Will

My boys and I have been taking care of our neighbor’s 12 chickens this week while they’ve been out of town. A sudden downpour with heavy winds landed for twenty minutes and blew the coop to bits. We gathered up a makeshift coop and rustled them in until the neighbors return tomorrow to decide what to do. Thankfully all the chickens survived. Now it’s time to grill.

View attachment 1393932 View attachment 1393930 View attachment 1393929 View attachment 1393931

...”all the chickens survived”...

...”Now it’s time to grill.”

:D

Stay cool, JP! (I like Will’s suggestion of a couple ice cold G&Ts! ;))

We had a nice run of three or four days here in Minnesota with highs in the low 70’s (22°C).

Still carrying my Woodland Micarta #23.

429pyQg.jpg
Thank you! I begged for political asylum in my fridge! Seems this is going to last till next wednesday at least. More than 60% humidity today, but few chances of stormy rain. No Sachem around here to make a rain dance!
Is that background Eleanor's work of art ? :)
I went to the garden at 7.30 am see what I can do to help the roses but heat nearly got them all. Grapes are getting ripe and sweet .
Charolais_raisin.jpg

Better be careful when picking some!
Frelon.jpg

Back