What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

IMG-20140731-025531-zpsgpndeuhf.jpg

Hey don’t be throwing around the F word around here!
I have a bed replanted in lettuce, spinach, and arugula that’s only 2” high.
As long as that F holds off, I can get a second cool weather harvest.

I enjoy seeing your harvest and canning efforts, Dave. Last Sat I used up the last of my quart mason jars on another batch of mango salsa.

Thanks Jeff. Sorry about the F word! We're on the edge here this weekend, and I'm almost out of jars and lids. I have to water the vegetables by hand, and we're in a real drought, so I'm just as glad to have the garden wind down.
rdReW93.jpg

Thanks Jack, I have to up my game when entering into Gary's world of wordsmithing:D

Have a great weekend my friend:)

LOL! :D Don't we all mate! :D You too brother :) :thumbsup:

Your "Double Lambsfoot Day" is certainly quite a tasty treat for today, Jack!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks JJ :D :thumbsup:

Talking of tasty treats, I've managed to combine my Saturday hike with a 3 course pit-stop this week! :D ;) Hope everyone has a great weekend :) I'll be carrying these three, Hartshead Barlow, Issard Violon, Enzo Elver :thumbsup:

SynlA2t.jpg

ynFjHUv.jpg

ppt2F2K.jpg

What on earth is that pattern called? I love it. Looks like it's great at hiding the points of blades.
It's a GEC #76 Outlaw Jack.
Basically a serpentine gunstock pattern, which is great for keeping the secondary blade in front, but low-riding enough to not block the nail mark of the main blade behind it. Great pattern!

Mine... You can see how nicely the nail marks are stacked.

Your Böker Barlow with the beguiling bone and bolster is breathtaking! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
- GT

Thank you very much, Gary!

Wondering what my sowbelly stockman is this week? Let me show you - it's a Rough Rider carbon steel sowbelly:
View attachment 1421141

Curious about what my "regular" stockman is this week? It's actually somewhat irregular, being a Case humpback stockman with a spear main (thanks, Mike):
View attachment 1421150

Are you dying to know what economy canoe I have this week? Wait for it ... the ever-popular Marbles with "damascus etch" blades and stag bone covers:
View attachment 1421152

Itching to see my premium canoe this week? Feast your eyes on this stag Mohawk canoe from AG Russell by way of Germany:
View attachment 1421154

- GT

It's like you read my mind, Gary! That is exactly what I was wondering, curious about dying to know and itching to see!!! :D

Another excellent foursome, sir. :)

Talking of tasty treats, I've managed to combine my Saturday hike with a 3 course pit-stop this week! :D ;) Hope everyone has a great weekend :) I'll be carrying these three, Hartshead Barlow, Issard Violon, Enzo Elver :thumbsup:

SynlA2t.jpg

ynFjHUv.jpg

ppt2F2K.jpg
Have a great time in the beautiful English countryside; your excellent threesome should serve you well!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Toting the old Imperial Navy jack with the Queen made Winchester sowbelly. :)

Top stuff! :cool: Two incredible knives :thumbsup:

Have a great time in the beautiful English countryside; your excellent threesome should serve you well!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks buddy, after a couple of days with just my Hartshead Barlow this week, I figured I was owed something extra! :D Have a great weekend JJ :thumbsup:

Still carrying this one. I love it!
View attachment 1421218
I saw that in your other thread~ nice work! Those 15s turned out beautifully as well:thumbsup:
This old schrade made shapleigh jr cattle knife is a delight to use, and pleasing to the eye.

View attachment 1421328
Yes quite pleasing to the eye. I’ll bet you grin every time you pull it out.
Thanks Jeff. Sorry about the F word! We're on the edge here this weekend, and I'm almost out of jars and lids. I have to water the vegetables by hand, and we're in a real drought, so I'm just as glad to have the garden wind down.
rdReW93.jpg
I hear that! The only thing scarcer than rain in July and August was canning supplies in the stores!
I like that knife. Can we see the other blades?

Last edited:
I always enjoy seeing some harvested goods in these pictures. It often defines the climate and season where the picture was taken. Here along the hot Texas coast we don't harvest anything this time of year. Everything is locked in survival mode in the blistering hot summer and demands water daily for survival. My various hot pepper plants are just beginning to set blooms again for the fall crop we will harvest in early to mid December. Eating fresh grown fruits and vegetables is important for your health. Grandpa always carried a traditional knife to sample and enjoy these blessings while in the field. Let us continue the tradition. And if your bounty is abundant, kindly share with the less fortunate.

Back