What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

kae544T.jpg

Happy Thursday from Southern New England.

Some of you are toting some superlative cutlery. I, on the other hand, will be observing Thrifty Thursday, otherwise known as cheap knife day.:D
This Sabre grandaddy barlow was a budget knife when it was new, but it’s a darned solid knife, takes a scary edge, and I personally love the sawcut bone scales.
I’ve gotten burned on my last three online knife purchases due to sellers either actively concealing things, or simply not mentioning flaws.
But I look at it like this ~ These dishonest sellers put a price on their honor, but I’m just out a few bucks.

This Schrade Walden 294 was listed as “made in USA”. It wasn’t. :mad:

But it was cheap enough (especially compared to an actual vintage 294) that it was not worth sending back. And darn it, I like it!:eek::D Real bone, good snap, smooth w&t. Someone had scratched up the blade with coarse sandpaper, but they failed to completely removed the etch saying “75th Anniversary 1936-2011”, which a magnifying glass revealed. Combined with no USA on the tang told me I’d been a sucker. I almost disassembled it to use the springs, but I’ve got too many other half finished projects right now. So I carefully polished out the damage to the blade, put a proper back bevel and edge on it, and tossed it in my knife drawer where I’d see it every time I opened it. Every once in a while I’d play with it and try to decide what to do with it. Eventually, I came around to liking it, and instead of giving it away or busting it up for parts, put it in my pocket. I’m liking it so far.
So, a decent user. Certainly not collectable. Oh well. I’m not a collector anyway, and I’m too old to start!:D I think I should do something about that missing shield, and maybe dye the bone...48FC95D1-0B63-4457-BFFA-E3830375F512.jpeg1484C422-2F6C-40D7-B4D9-BFFD8080C812.jpegHave a great day!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

As promised...
This is one of the kits I made up for each of my vehicles.
Flashlight, pen, notebook, SAK Tinker for tools, and Buck 112 for heavy cutting.
Of course I always have a pocket knife on my person, but these are available for handy backups.

Sorry the cover materials aren't more "traditional".

Last edited:
As promised...
Flashlight, pen, notebook, SAK Tinker for tools, and Buck 112 for heavy cutting.
Of course I always have a pocket knife on my person, but these are available for handy backups.

I always carry one of those maxpedition micro’s in my pocket. They are great.

The little tag of the left side works well to hold a small knife. I keep a small schrade stockman in mine.

That is one of my favorite pictures.

Thanks for the old photo of your tree my friend and thank you for the very kind words .

Harry

:D:p:cool::):thumbsup:

Good morning! I’m up bright and early, having already fixed sausage, biscuits and fried eggs for breakfast. :D I’m sipping my second cup of black coffee now and getting my lovely wife’s lunch packed for work today. :cool: I pulled these two out of the drawer to go in my pocket. I’ve got my Waynorth Cutlery Jigged Bone Lambsfoot and a Craftsman by Schrade 9554 Whittler. Y’all stay safe out there! :) :thumbsup:

49937487833_6bd1017997_b_d.jpg

A fine duo indeed :cool::thumbsup:

Good morning.
hzTsmGc.jpg

ohhhhh Mama !!:eek:

I should do that. I'm always jotting down notes on 3x5 cards and then losing track of them.

Feeling old today. ;)
3Ogtohj.jpg

Cards is a young person's game Rachel! ;) :D Handsome oldies ;) :thumbsup:

Great to see you back Gev :) Hope you're doing OK buddy :) :thumbsup:

Love that Ginger Beer, when I find it I stock up.

One of my favourites too Chuck :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack! Right back at you, those two blade shapes compliment each other nicely :thumbsup:

These two for me today (forgot it was Wooden Wednesday :) )

Thanks Tom, that's another cool pair :) :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot, Jack!!!

It's hard to beat a great cigar with an amazing Barlow; wonderful pairing!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you my friend :) :thumbsup:

I’ve had some things to attend today so I’m running later than usual. These two have been tagging along. Y’all stay safe out there! :) :thumbsup:

50140573837_8b34510e06_c_d.jpg

Nice black and tan pairing Ron :) :thumbsup:

That's a nice one Paul :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Toting a couple whittlers today, one covered in wood. :)

Looking good JJ :) :thumbsup:

Thank you, Jack! You have a rather stalwart pair you are totin' today - very nice.

I am eschewing Wooden Wednesday and going straight to the Stag :D.

9XJJzZQ.jpg

Many thanks Dylan, you have jumped in with both feet there buddy :cool: They go together really well :) :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack. :)
Your pair is exquisite, and even though you're stagless with those two, you've got some exemplary bone! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I, of course, am quite taken with the Queen canoe! ;)

Thank you Gary, the extra pics of your Pioneer were a treat :) :thumbsup:

Prestigious, yet practical, pair, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::cool:
I'll vote for the stag lambsfoot HHB. ;):cool:

Thanks again pal :) :thumbsup:

Much obliged Jack.

Thank you GT. :D

View attachment 1433178

Fab Tyne Knife Dwight, and in marvellous condition :thumbsup:

Good morning! I’m up bright and early, having already fixed sausage, biscuits and fried eggs for breakfast. :D I’m sipping my second cup of black coffee now and getting my lovely wife’s lunch packed for work today. :cool: I pulled these two out of the drawer to go in my pocket. I’ve got my Waynorth Cutlery Jigged Bone Lambsfoot and a Craftsman by Schrade 9554 Whittler. Y’all stay safe out there! :) :thumbsup:

49937487833_6bd1017997_b_d.jpg

Good-looking pair my industrious friend :) :thumbsup:

Good morning.
hzTsmGc.jpg

That's different Rachel :cool: :) :thumbsup:

As promised...

I have a bunch of similar EDC kits John :thumbsup:

Great choice Bill ;) :) :thumbsup:

As promised...

Cards is a young person's game Rachel! ;) :D Handsome oldies ;)

Thanks! That's a handy little "emergency bag". I'd probably add some sanitizer and spare mask. ;)
Most of the stuff on the 3x5 cards are just to-do lists, shopping lists, etc. but I have to sort through them before throwing any out, in case I also wrote down something important like phone numbers.
ohhhhh Mama !!
That's different Rachel :cool: :) :thumbsup:
The Case Teardrop is one of those knives I rediscover from time to time and think "Why don't I carry this one more often?"
Luscious pair! :thumbsup:

Back