What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

As promised...
This is one of the kits I made up for each of my vehicles.
Flashlight, pen, notebook, SAK Tinker for tools, and Buck 112 for heavy cutting.
Of course I always have a pocket knife on my person, but these are available for handy backups.

Sorry the cover materials aren't more "traditional".

John, good choice of tools, very similar to what rides in my vehicles.

The blade shape is definitely weird. It's like a spear, but not really a spear- kind of like a rounded off wharnecliffe. Like a wharnecliffe that goes to school with popular spear points, so it changes it's look to fit in a little better. I have a wharnecliffe version similar what @r8shell carries, and if it was better put together I'd carry it more often.

LOL! :D :thumbsup:

I too find it a little weird.
I'm happy they make a single blade jack, but that one doesn't do it or me.
The blade is like a super skinny Zulu and the handle shape is too narrow and pointy.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the thinking was behind it. I'd have been perfectly happy with a standard Spear, or a Wharncliffe. You are right about the handle shape. The ebony is nice at least! :D :thumbsup:

Same 29 today, but with newly arrived Pocket Blade from @Redmeadow Knives

UpgDQ62.jpg

Nice Pocket Blade Mike, and it compliments your 29 well :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack! It has that kind of grippy-texture feel to it, and looks as nice in person as it did on the website. My photo doesn't do it justice, but I will work on that :).

It looks both practical and classy Tom :thumbsup:

It's finally getting cool enough to keep hand sanitizer in the car. The inside of a car in the summer in Texas can make the alcohol leak and spray all over.

It does make me think of an old spear blade after a lot of sharpening. I'm sure it cuts just fine, though.

Thank heaven for small mercies eh? :rolleyes: :D

Yes, me too :) It arrived nice and sharp, and since I've only carried it a few times, it still is! :D :thumbsup:

Watch Pocket Knife this week is a Hen & Rooster mini canoe (thanks, Will):
View attachment 1433705

Big Knife of the Week is a Sabre Ireland trapper I received from a retired geology professor:
View attachment 1433707

Miscellaneous Knife this week is an American-made Schrade 33OT, also from Ralph the geologist:
View attachment 1433711

- GT

Three more interesting knives Gary, I didn't realise Sabre had had some knives made in Ireland, by Jowika I imagine, but I've not seen one before :thumbsup:

I'm sure these two stout beauties helped you get through the day, Jack!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Jack!!!

I've been toting these two Robeson Barlows as the day zipped by. :)

Thank you JJ :D Two beautiful Barlows there my friend :) :thumbsup:

Thank you Jack, enjoy the upcoming weekend:thumbsup:

Thanks a lot Paul, you too pal :) :thumbsup:

Working on the sheath for this so had the knife in my hand or next to me for a couple hours today. Rose did the handle and I did the kydex.
View attachment 1433772 View attachment 1433773
Mexican bocote, truly beautiful in the sunlight.

Very nice :) That's an interesting blade shape, are the spine and edge non-parallel? :thumbsup:

Thank you, Jack! A fine pair you have today - the Hartshead is always worthy of note and that Ebony Gunstock is such a finely made knife (one of GEC's best efforts, in my opinion). I had two from that run, one in Ebony and the other in Cocobolo - I kept the latter due to its uniqueness and gifted the Ebony to my biological dad. It was his first GEC after having used and collected Case knives for many years.

That is a fine duo, JJ, I love that red sawcut!

Back to a favorite color combo for me today - black and red.

BzYaV11.jpg

Thanks a lot Dylan, the #44 was a kind gift from Duncan @Campbellclanman :) I hope your dad likes his as much as I do mine :) Nice red and black combo there, my favourite colours too :) :thumbsup:

Hope everyone has had a good week, and that your weekend holds some promise :) I'm toting my #44 again today, with a large ebony Lambsfoot SFO :thumbsup:

5DIdg0k.jpg

KKImkfB.jpg

Last edited:
The blade shape is definitely weird. It's like a spear, but not really a spear- kind of like a rounded off wharnecliffe. Like a wharnecliffe that goes to school with popular spear points, so it changes it's look to fit in a little better. I have a wharnecliffe version similar what @r8shell carries, and if it was better put together I'd carry it more often.

Problem I had with it is that it has a very poor blade to handle ratio....comes across as a Quill knife that didn't make it and outgrew itself :D just don't find it feasible:rolleyes: Gave one away.

Had a Wharncliffe version in cv Chestnut Bone, this was better but the blade is again very narrow. Gave that away too...you don't see them being used or posted much here either and I have to state that this is not one of Bose's best efforts in design. My view anyway.

Great knife, GT. :cool::thumbsup:

You and GT are making me miss my Old Timers. They are great knives.

John, good choice of tools, very similar to what rides in my vehicles.
The selection seems practical. :cool::thumbsup:
I laugh at some of the things people deem necessarily in their little bags.
I'm not trying to survive the Zombie Apocalypse or become a glove box survivalist. :D

The ebony is nice at least!
Oh, it's Ebony?
That changes everything, that knife is awesome! :)

I wish I had taken to the #44.
It's a beautiful knife and GEC did a great job with them. :cool::thumbsup:

Ebony calf roper and the old schrade made shapleigh DE.

67A5C3C0-65EB-4B1D-8D72-2A8342194D70.jpeg

I’ve been carrying the shapleigh non stop for a little while now. From a practical use and carry perspective this pattern is really just about ideal, and this one has enough use that I don’t fret over it being “too nice“. The blades are very lean so I also use it as my apple knife each morning. It zips right through them and has produced a nice patina over time.

05977636-CCBF-441C-AEC6-EBB824DBC3DC.jpeg

Back