What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Good luck Gary. I got exposed a poker game two weeks ago. The guy that tested positive got sick, but did not need to go to the hospital. Three other guys tested negative and his wife also tested negative. I didn't get tested, but I'm at the end of my 14 days and haven't got sick, so I think I'm good to go. Figure the guy just got a light dose, or he wasn't contagious at the card game, or we just got lucky.
Thanks, Mike.
I got a possible exposure dropping our 4 year old grandson off at his nursery school, last Friday. Our doctor advised us to get tested when we were notified of the possible exposure on Tuesday. Odds are we're ok. Should know by Monday, at the latest.
It's interesting how many things you want to get out and do, when you're told you shouldn't. :)

That's very interesting to hear Gary, I'm glad you were able to get one of the Solingen models :) Nice pairing :cool: Hey, good luck with those tests buddy :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack.
I got lucky finding it. The description had some discrepancies, which I tried to get clarified. I didn't get a quick enough response so I just pulled the trigger. I didn't want to chance losing the opportunity. I feel if it had been described properly, it would have been gone before I happened on it.
Thanks for the good wishes.

TGIF!
At home isolating with these two. We're approaching peak color here. Pics taken looking out from "Peregrin's Roost" ;)
2WziuWk.jpg

eLpLkvK.jpg

I think play is the wrong word, movement would be a bit more accurate. The blade seems tight in the locking mechanism, but when if I make a downward cut with any force the blade travels backward a bit, pushing the lock bar out. It seems more like a design quirk than a flaw and doesn’t affect the function.
I’m loving it so far, I hope they offer more barehead versions in the future.
Mine doesn't do that so I don't think its a design quirk. Manufacturing variance maybe.

The aging smooth white bone I bought from Lyle a few years back at the GEC rendezvous, it's been tucked away to long and has mellowed nicely, a patina will compliment it well.
bEnXNh.jpg

Then trying to keep pace with Mike's snow, this happened overnight:mad: with another 1" to 3" possibly overnight:( The upside is I bought a new Husqvarna snow blower last year;):D
tqbZjJ.jpg
Full disclosure, Paul. I hit “Like” because of your beautiful Orchard Gem Farmer’s Jack. :thumbsup:
I do NOT like your other photo.:mad::eek::D
Good luck with the digging, Paul! :D How’s that new pup doing?

I planted some grass in a portion of our yard a few weeks ago, and had a heck of a time keeping the squirrels from digging holes all over the ground where I’d seeded. :mad:

That’s a beauty, Will! :thumbsup:

I’ve always thought those old wire jacks were interesting. I like the ones with the bottle opener built into the tang. :D

Although I’ve lived in MN for 2 1/2 years now, I haven’t yet tried any Grain Belt beer! :confused: :D

I don’t know much about Hee Haw, but this discussion reminded me of this song. :D

Couple of handsome knives there! :thumbsup:

I was going to ask if that’s where that opener came from… now I don’t have to! :D

Grain Belt is actually owned by Schell’s now.

I generally feel the same way, Paul, but every now and then there’s a Northfield that’ll really speak to me. :D

I’ve been carrying this Tidioute Farm Boy (one of my favorites) for the last week or more. We got our first bit of snow this morning, but it only stuck on the deck, grass and vehicles, and it was all gone within a couple hours.

ic9bAjk.jpg
Love the Farm Boy.
Us old(er) farts can’t help sharing knowledge that sometimes only we find interesting. And we often repeat it!

So anyway, here’s something I read about in our county’s conservation magazine, which explains my own experience on my vast country estate:
The article was about Illinois’ vastly diminished oak savannas, and what land owners can do to restore the oaks.
All of the acorn and nut bearing trees have a survival relationship with tree rats. The mast is the tree rat’s food source (besides what I put out for the birds), and in return, the tree rats bury them in the ground planning on sniffing them out and digging them up during the winter. They miss a lot of what they bury, which ensures the next generation of trees.
So here’s the “interesting” part, assuming you’re still with me...
We always wonder why the tree rats bury their acorns and nuts out in the middle of the yard, or in our gardens instead of in the brush or woods where we might actually want a tree. Well, it’s because of the field mice and meadow voles. They spend all winter digging up the squirrel’s winter food, but because of hawks and owls, they only do it in the brush, high weeds, or woods. So the squirrels plant out in the open where the mice are afraid to go. So if you want the tree rats to help re-populate your oaks, hickories, and walnuts, you brush hog or mow off where you want the nuts planted.
I stopped shooting at them with the BB gun, and just transplant the seedlings out to the wooded corners of my palatial grounds.:D
Here’s a little walnut and a hickory that came up in one of my raised beds. They are the same age, but hickories spend their first year or two sinking a deep tap root that makes them a bear to dig up without killing them.4D3F0FD1-9097-45BD-8517-3FB98AE691E7.jpeg

Last edited:
Back