What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

k90MPf1.jpg

Pocket Watch Knife of the Week is a Rough Rider amber jigged bone canittler:
View attachment 1438319

Big Knife this week is a Rough Rider white smooth bone marlin spike (I think this is the 6th consecutive RR I've posted from this week's carries :eek::rolleyes:):
View attachment 1438320

Miscellaneous Knife of the Week is a Case CV chestnut jigged bone teardrop:

View attachment 1438322

- GT

A cwality carry today, Gary! The canittler is good, the teardrop is great and the marlin spike is out of this world.

Full disclosure, Paul. I hit “Like” because of your beautiful Orchard Gem Farmer’s Jack. :thumbsup:
I do NOT like your other photo.:mad::eek::D

Love the Farm Boy.
Us old(er) farts can’t help sharing knowledge that sometimes only we find interesting. And we often repeat it!

So anyway, here’s something I read about in our county’s conservation magazine, which explains my own experience on my vast country estate:
The article was about Illinois’ vastly diminished oak savannas, and what land owners can do to restore the oaks.
All of the acorn and nut bearing trees have a survival relationship with tree rats. The mast is the tree rat’s food source (besides what I put out for the birds), and in return, the tree rats bury them in the ground planning on sniffing them out and digging them up during the winter. They miss a lot of what they bury, which ensures the next generation of trees.
So here’s the “interesting” part, assuming you’re still with me...
We always wonder why the tree rats bury their acorns and nuts out in the middle of the yard, or in our gardens instead of in the brush or woods where we might actually want a tree. Well, it’s because of the field mice and meadow voles. They spend all winter digging up the squirrel’s winter food, but because of hawks and owls, they only do it in the brush, high weeds, or woods. So the squirrels plant out in the open where the mice are afraid to go. So if you want the tree rats to help re-populate your oaks, hickories, and walnuts, you brush hog or mow off where you want the nuts planted.
I stopped shooting at them with the BB gun, and just transplant the seedlings out to the wooded corners of my palatial grounds.:D
Here’s a little walnut and a hickory that came up in one of my raised beds. They are the same age, but hickories spend their first year or two sinking a deep tap root that makes them a bear to dig up without killing them.View attachment 1438292
Thanks Jeff, not only for the knife compliment but the interesting info on tree rats and acorns:thumbsup: I find that totally interesting as I get older. Things that my son's feel is totally useless. I tell them the reason why Beaver dens are closer or farther out in the pond, the color of certain caterpillars and how it translates to winters being mild or harsh;)

Well this time the weatherman was spot on:eek: we had 4" overnight of the wet, heavy type of snow fall, still snowing now. Will replenish the bird feeder when I get home mid afternoon.
Picked up two great vintage knives, an easy open Winchester and a Robeson Scout, both with great blades and no play and killer bone:cool::cool::cool:

Usually I snap the in hand pic but just happened to lay these down at my desk at work and after downloading I thought "Hey this is kind of a JJ pic" (but mines not as good):):cool: I think Barrett or someone had a GAW which called into play how other members posted their knife pic's:confused::cool:

4DIV4c.jpg

V2ZZCB.jpg

Last edited:
Back