What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Hope you're having a peaceful Sunday, folks!
My Laguiole is helping with a quick lunch. Sous vide grass fed sirloin on Rosemary Olive oil bread, covered in beef gravy and mushrooms. Just typing that out has made me hungry again!
kxN3WpI.jpg

Looks like the Fleet is in GT! :D :thumbsup:

I thought of carrying that knife today Mike :cool: Instead, I opted for another of Charlie's great patterns :) And my Hartshead Barlow of course ;) :thumbsup:

BE9Fglk.jpg

TyPG2N4.jpg
Thanks, Jack; the only time I'm in command of anything is when I take out my boxes of canoe knives. :rolleyes:
Fine pair you've selected! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

That's a quality quartet, Gary! I really like the two RR stockman knives.
Thanks, Dean. :) The RR medium bone stockman has many of the features of your superlative 897UH. :cool::thumbsup:
Your avatar Ancient is a treat, as always! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Low quality photo as I rush out the door for a hunting vacation, looking forward to catching up on this thread next week.

Your stag sowbelly is a show-stopper, Tom! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Ulster Jack and a SW 879

CzzlNwf.jpg
Camillus and a Queen today
haZhcg3.jpg
Thanks for sharing both of those vivacious vintage pairs, Steve; exemplary bone! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Going with these two as the FB will come in handy for a couple of chores; the Farmer ain't bad either. :)
JJ, the green Farmer is major league!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sublime whittler, Dee! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Going all out for Black Friday today, with my 44 Gunstock and 2018 Guardians SFO :) :thumbsup:
Overwhelming quality in that ebony duo, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Striking bone/shield combination on your Tribal Lock! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Happy Friday Everybody
I've really been bonding with this #76 Outlaw...
Excellent Black Friday "choice", John! ;):cool::cool:

I'll carry a couple small jacks today:
MsCr9ww.jpg
Dazzling diminutive duo, Rachel! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Going with my old two-tone Clauss on this cool Friday morning.
Compelling Clauss jack, Les! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Now I'm interested... Which is your favorite?
Me... I'm a fan of the Alox Cadet and Bantam.
The Cadet is a bit small for my taste, and the nail file is kind of a wasted blade for my typical use. I do like the aesthetics of Alox, so I'd probably choose the Electrician, with spear main and sheepsfoot instead of can opener, as my favorite (with the Farmer and its saw as runner-up) among the Vics I actually own. :thumbsup::cool: (In principle, I welcome the new Alox versions that have scissors, but haven't picked one up yet.)

I always enjoy a glimpse of the "El Greco Knife", Joshua! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thank you for comments and carry information, Gary. Regarding the Scratted Barlow, it has so many Xs because it is so Xcellent. :)
:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
I'm totin' this Schrade Cut Co. Barlow today.

View attachment 1438059
Special jigging on that Schrade Barlow, Dean! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the music and kind comment, Gary!
Regarding blade tips sitting proud (ouch!), that’s from blade loss due to aggressive sharpening. You fix it by filing down the kick~ the little protrusion on the blade tang that sits on the spring when closed. Just file a little, and test, repeat until it seats properly and safely. I believe they are designed for adjustment.
Thanks for the proud tip tip, Jeff :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:; I'm familiar with that in principle, although I've never actually filed a kick yet. But I'm talking about brand new stockman knives (often from Case, IIRC) that have the sheepsfoot tip up above the liners (and the hump on the spine of the sheepsfoot towering above the other blades). Granted, that proud tip is not a problem when the knife is closed since it's between the other blades, and I suppose having the sheepsfoot "canted up" like that makes it easier to access for opening. But it still looks like a puncture waiting to happen when either the clip or the spey/pen is being used.

Although I’ve lived in MN for 2 1/2 years now, I haven’t yet tried any Grain Belt beer! :confused: :D

I don’t know much about Hee Haw, but this discussion reminded me of this song. :D

If you ever try Grain Belt, Barrett, let us know what you think! ;)
The first verse in the video you posted reminded me of Hee Haw for sure! I liked that song, especially the pedal steel! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

:cool::cool::thumbsup:

A Bull Buster and a Jr Stockman are today's totes, both covered in black. :)
Kool Keen Kutter, and that Bull Buster is gigantic!! :eek::cool::cool:

- GT

So anyway, here’s something I read about in our county’s conservation magazine, which explains my own experience on my vast country estate:
The article was about Illinois’ vastly diminished oak savannas, and what land owners can do to restore the oaks.
All of the acorn and nut bearing trees have a survival relationship with tree rats. The mast is the tree rat’s food source (besides what I put out for the birds), and in return, the tree rats bury them in the ground planning on sniffing them out and digging them up during the winter. They miss a lot of what they bury, which ensures the next generation of trees.
So here’s the “interesting” part, assuming you’re still with me...
We always wonder why the tree rats bury their acorns and nuts out in the middle of the yard, or in our gardens instead of in the brush or woods where we might actually want a tree. Well, it’s because of the field mice and meadow voles. They spend all winter digging up the squirrel’s winter food, but because of hawks and owls, they only do it in the brush, high weeds, or woods. So the squirrels plant out in the open where the mice are afraid to go. So if you want the tree rats to help re-populate your oaks, hickories, and walnuts, you brush hog or mow off where you want the nuts planted.
I stopped shooting at them with the BB gun, and just transplant the seedlings out to the wooded corners of my palatial grounds.:D
Thanks for the interesting info, Jeff! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Three bone covered beauties today, Gary; your Case Teardrop Wharncliffe is certainly a real eye catcher!;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thank you, sir. :)

My first experience with Rope jigging...I like it:D

20201016_171303-2-jpg.1438352
Commendable Canal Stree canittler! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Today in my pocket I carry this Portuguese from Veríssimo-Miranda do Douro in stag.;):thumbsup:
Fantastic knife, José; I had never realized it was a liner lock model! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Nice trio of bones Gary !
Thanks, Steve. :)

Thank you I thought I lost it in the marsh two weeks ago it’s approaching 9 years of edc.

Gary that is Glass Gem corn my wife was seed trading and procured 18 seeds they all took and next year will be planting a good deal more. It can be used for popping and can be gristmilled which I wanted to do but will wait until I can grow more
https://www.npr.org/2019/11/25/7825...poster-child-for-the-return-to-heirloom-seeds
Thanks for the info about the heirloom corn! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Finally the weekend... hope it's a good one for everybody.
I like the black/orange combo! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Looks like you're taking precautions about scurvy as well as COVID! ;):thumbsup::cool:

A cwality carry today, Gary! The canittler is good, the teardrop is great and the marlin spike is out of this world.
Thanks for the high praise, Dean. :)
Classy Case stockman you have on duty! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

I’ve been carrying this Tidioute Farm Boy (one of my favorites) for the last week or more. We got our first bit of snow this morning, but it only stuck on the deck, grass and vehicles, and it was all gone within a couple hours.

ic9bAjk.jpg
Well this time the weatherman was spot on:eek: we had 4" overnight of the wet, heavy type of snow fall, still snowing now. Will replenish the bird feeder when I get home mid afternoon.
Picked up two great vintage knives, an easy open Winchester and a Robeson Scout, both with great blades and no play and killer bone:cool::cool::cool:

Usually I snap the in hand pic but just happened to lay these down at my desk at work and after downloading I thought "Hey this is kind of a JJ pic" (but mines not as good):):cool: I think Barrett or someone had a GAW which called into play how other members posted their knife pic's:confused::cool:

4DIV4c.jpg

V2ZZCB.jpg
Barrett and Paul, I adore the knives you posted :thumbsup::cool::cool:, but detest the snow pics! :(:thumbsdown:

I'm gonna tote this Otter-Messer Sheepfoot Anchor knife to town today and around the property this afternoon. Besides, we are sending "Jack Alan Ryan" on his way today and he always liked these knives with the big brass anchors on them.

4iqxot0.jpg
Great knife and fine tribute to the man who passed on ED! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

- GT

Thanks, Jack; the only time I'm in command of anything is when I take out my boxes of canoe knives. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Dean. :) The RR medium bone stockman has many of the features of your superlative 897UH. :cool::thumbsup:
Your avatar Ancient is a treat, as always! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Your stag sowbelly is a show-stopper, Tom! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks for sharing both of those vivacious vintage pairs, Steve; exemplary bone! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

JJ, the green Farmer is major league!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sublime whittler, Dee! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Overwhelming quality in that ebony duo, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Striking bone/shield combination on your Tribal Lock! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Excellent Black Friday "choice", John! ;):cool::cool:

Dazzling diminutive duo, Rachel! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Compelling Clauss jack, Les! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

The Cadet is a bit small for my taste, and the nail file is kind of a wasted blade for my typical use. I do like the aesthetics of Alox, so I'd probably choose the Electrician, with spear main and sheepsfoot instead of can opener, as my favorite (with the Farmer and its saw as runner-up) among the Vics I actually own. :thumbsup::cool: (In principle, I welcome the new Alox versions that have scissors, but haven't picked one up yet.)

I always enjoy a glimpse of the "El Greco Knife", Joshua! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Special jigging on that Schrade Barlow, Dean! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the proud tip tip, Jeff :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:; I'm familiar with that in principle, although I've never actually filed a kick yet. But I'm talking about brand new stockman knives (often from Case, IIRC) that have the sheepsfoot tip up above the liners (and the hump on the spine of the sheepsfoot towering above the other blades). Granted, that proud tip is not a problem when the knife is closed since it's between the other blades, and I suppose having the sheepsfoot "canted up" like that makes it easier to access for opening. But it still looks like a puncture waiting to happen when either the clip or the spey/pen is being used.

If you ever try Grain Belt, Barrett, let us know what you think! ;)
The first verse in the video you posted reminded me of Hee Haw for sure! I liked that song, especially the pedal steel! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

:cool::cool::thumbsup:

Kool Keen Kutter, and that Bull Buster is gigantic!! :eek::cool::cool:

- GT

Thanks, Gary! It had been too long since I last carried it.

Flexi-sphere!

Have a great Sunday, everyone.
QS8zAnK.jpg

Thank you very much Rachel :) My original post was from 2012, and while I still have them, it has been stripped of the photos, and much of its punctuation o_O Gevonovich Gevonovich hit the jackpot! :) :thumbsup:

Brilliant read and write my good man. I enjoy reading your posts immensely!

The "Scooby Thing" looks to be a Buckminster Fuller geodesic lattice shell structure. Its a structural principle he used to explore and develop his design theories. Its called Tensegrity, tensional integrity or floating compression, a structural principle based on the use of isolated components in compression inside a net of continuous tension.

Thanks Jack!!! I really like your description!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks again, Jack!!!

It looks like you had a great day in the wild with those marvelous three amigos; love the addition of those 2 workhorse beauties!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Many thanks JJ :) Definitely a good day out, but a tiring one! :D :thumbsup:

My Laguiole is helping with a quick lunch. Sous vide grass fed sirloin on Rosemary Olive oil bread, covered in beef gravy and mushrooms. Just typing that out has made me hungry again!
kxN3WpI.jpg

How the other half live! :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

Thanks pal :D :thumbsup:

kxN3WpI.jpg

My plate /begging-bowl is in the Post:D;)

Superfood superlag:thumbsup:

For the weekend this lovely schrade walden 861 will be joining my usual carry.

View attachment 1438748
Phenomenal pair! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Schrade Walden 204 and a Wards Cattle knife

So3EEW1.jpg
That Wards is like one of the Seven Wonders of the World, Steve!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Classic, José! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

It's been a while, but I'm carrying my favorite pocket knife ever - my "precious" amber bone Case mini copperhead. Y'all have seen it before but it's the bottom knife in this pic...

Lamwnh8.jpg

Ed J
Exquisite pair of mini copperheads, Ed! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Knife and beverage are both eye-openers, Vince! :thumbsup::cool::cool: My condolences to you on the end of the Astros season, but they made it quite interesting for you during your anniversary/birthday week! ;)

It DOES have a name Jer, though I forget it myself :rolleyes: I came across one on a market stall many years ago, and gifted it to another member who showed an interest. If I get time, I'll see if I can find it in an old post, as I think it would interest you, as it has a scientific nature :thumbsup:
Flexi-sphere!
It's another of my daughter's old toys that I reclaimed when she was about to trash it, but I don't know if I ever knew its name. :rolleyes:
Thanks for finding that, Rachel! ;):thumbsup::cool: I've heard the word "mandala" but didn't know its meaning; very cool! How did you ever find it? What search term(s) led to that cool video?

Finally caught up! :D I had these three with me yesterday on my hike :thumbsup:

1DRESth.jpg

PWp6SRu.jpg

vkLZLiA.jpg

And today, I'm pairing these two workhorses ;) :thumbsup:

c1r6fMf.jpg

HbYuFMa.jpg

Have a great Sunday everyone :) :thumbsup:
Superb weekend quartet, Jack! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Maiden voyage for my most recent online purchase/rehab.
I could have polished out the unfortunate Dremel hackery, but it was bent, and that Schrade stainless does not like to be put in a vise and straightened out. :eek:
So... she got a new blade. Kinda like it.
This is what it was ~ a Schrade + SC503.View attachment 1439129I’m not sure what to call it nowo_O
I’ll just call it The White One.

View attachment 1439121View attachment 1439120 View attachment 1439119View attachment 1439118 Y’all have a great Sunday~ it’s likely to be raining after church, which might keep me indoors enough to watch the Bears game. I’m really liking this Foles guy they brought in. Not too sure about the fake crowd noise, though! :rolleyes:
Great job, Jeff! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
Congrats on the Bears' win! ;)

I’m going to the local orchard this morning to restock our Apple supply. I’ll be carrying these two. Y’all have a great day! :) :thumbsup:

29884332667_9beea27476_c_d.jpg
Stylish, spectacular pair of knives, Ron! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Surprise! I'm carrying X-Caliber today. ;)
Who'da thunk it?? :thumbsup:;):thumbsup:

1KN2wI3.jpg

today is a good day for a Barlow
Splendid knife! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I have that model, too, and like it very much, but I admire how yours is brown all the way to the bolster (mine fades to almost-white near the bolster).

I'm carrying this Case Teardrop today.

View attachment 1439254
Handsome choice, Dean! :cool::cool::thumbsup: (The patina looks like it might contain a Halloween scene, or maybe a Nativity scene? :rolleyes:)

kxN3WpI.jpg
Looks tasty, Gary! :thumbsup::cool::cool: Just yesterday, my wife and I happened to reminisce about cream chipped beef on toast, which neither of us has had for decades. But your beef on bread is qualitatively different, I'd wager! :D

Harry
Inside on this kind of wet day and carrying a couple of Pruners . An old Stag ,
and my newest acquisition , a Case XX

Harry
Thanks for sharing your treasures with us, Harry! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
The stag 73s are impeccable, that old stag pruner is amazing, and congrats on the new Case pruner with its primo, pristine bone!

Peanut-like Knife of the Week is a Rough Rider half whittler:
halfwhit.pile.main.jpg

Stag/Horn Knife of the Week is a RR stag medium trapper:
stagMT.mark.2open.jpg

Lambsfoot of the Week is Black Jack, a Jack Black SFO from A. Wright & Son, the ebony 2018 Guardians lambsfoot:
mark.V.woods.jpg

- GT

Back