What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Peanut-like Knife of the Week is a Rough Rider half whittler:
halfwhit-pile-main-jpg.1439552

Stag/Horn Knife of the Week is a RR stag medium trapper:
stagmt-mark-2open-jpg.1439553

Lambsfoot of the Week is Black Jack, a Jack Black SFO from A. Wright & Son, the ebony 2018 Guardians lambsfoot:
mark-v-woods-jpg.1439554
Terrific triple totes for today, Gary; the Black Jack by Jack Black looks awesome in your photo!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I just have to stay away from the bakery.
Nooooooo... That's the BEST part! ;)

Excellent Black Friday "choice", John!
Also good for Tidioute Tuesday and Wooden Wednesday. :cool::thumbsup:

the nail file is kind of a wasted blade for my typical use.
I agree I'd like to see them change the file to an awl on the Cadet. Ithink the Cadet is the perfect size though.

Electrician, with spear main and sheepsfoot instead of can opener
I just can't abide by a Scout/Camp knife without a can opener... I think I like the Pioneer better for that reason.

Looks like you're taking precautions about scurvy
Us Pirates can't be too careful. ;)

Handsome choice, Dean! :cool::cool::thumbsup: (The patina looks like it might contain a Halloween scene, or maybe a Nativity scene? :rolleyes:)

Peanut-like Knife of the Week is a Rough Rider half whittler:
View attachment 1439552

Stag/Horn Knife of the Week is a RR stag medium trapper:
View attachment 1439553

Lambsfoot of the Week is Black Jack, a Jack Black SFO from A. Wright & Son, the ebony 2018 Guardians lambsfoot:
View attachment 1439554

- GT

Thank you, Gary. The message in the patina is determined by the beholder. ;)

I like the RR half whittler. You seem to be able to find RR treasures!!

Love the Farm Boy.
Us old(er) farts can’t help sharing knowledge that sometimes only we find interesting. And we often repeat it!

So anyway, here’s something I read about in our county’s conservation magazine, which explains my own experience on my vast country estate:
The article was about Illinois’ vastly diminished oak savannas, and what land owners can do to restore the oaks.
All of the acorn and nut bearing trees have a survival relationship with tree rats. The mast is the tree rat’s food source (besides what I put out for the birds), and in return, the tree rats bury them in the ground planning on sniffing them out and digging them up during the winter. They miss a lot of what they bury, which ensures the next generation of trees.
So here’s the “interesting” part, assuming you’re still with me...
We always wonder why the tree rats bury their acorns and nuts out in the middle of the yard, or in our gardens instead of in the brush or woods where we might actually want a tree. Well, it’s because of the field mice and meadow voles. They spend all winter digging up the squirrel’s winter food, but because of hawks and owls, they only do it in the brush, high weeds, or woods. So the squirrels plant out in the open where the mice are afraid to go. So if you want the tree rats to help re-populate your oaks, hickories, and walnuts, you brush hog or mow off where you want the nuts planted.
I stopped shooting at them with the BB gun, and just transplant the seedlings out to the wooded corners of my palatial grounds.:D
Here’s a little walnut and a hickory that came up in one of my raised beds. They are the same age, but hickories spend their first year or two sinking a deep tap root that makes them a bear to dig up without killing them.View attachment 1438292

That’s interesting. We have more than enough trees around our place, and we definitely don’t need any where the squirrels have been digging the ground up (the new grass I planted is along both sides of the driveway we had put in last fall). :D

Someone suggested sprinkling cayenne pepper on the ground, and since it was a small area, I gave that a try, but these squirrels must not mind the heat, ‘cause I applied it pretty liberally, and that didn’t stop ‘em. I ended up staking down some deer netting over the ground, which helped.

Hey Barrett, I have a plethora of Northfields for sure but at times, less is more:) Hank is growing into an amazingly, smart young dog, he has a bit of cat in him where he can totally ignore you then minutes later he'll be licking your face off:eek::p

I have the same farmboy and it's a favorite of mine:thumbsup:

I know what you mean, Paul. I don’t have a shortage of Northfields, but the Tidioutes still outnumber them about 3-to-1. Add the Farm & Fields and it’s closer to 4-to-1. :D

That Farm Boy was one of my first GEC knives. I bought it and (later) a backup in Rust Red Jigged Bone at least a year after they were released, readily available on dealer’s sites. Now I kick myself for not grabbing one in Ebony or (especially) Nifebrite back when I could have.

Thanks Jeff, not only for the knife compliment but the interesting info on tree rats and acorns:thumbsup: I find that totally interesting as I get older. Things that my son's feel is totally useless. I tell them the reason why Beaver dens are closer or farther out in the pond, the color of certain caterpillars and how it translates to winters being mild or harsh;)

Well this time the weatherman was spot on:eek: we had 4" overnight of the wet, heavy type of snow fall, still snowing now. Will replenish the bird feeder when I get home mid afternoon.
Picked up two great vintage knives, an easy open Winchester and a Robeson Scout, both with great blades and no play and killer bone:cool::cool::cool:

Usually I snap the in hand pic but just happened to lay these down at my desk at work and after downloading I thought "Hey this is kind of a JJ pic" (but mines not as good):):cool: I think Barrett or someone had a GAW which called into play how other members posted their knife pic's:confused::cool:

4DIV4c.jpg

V2ZZCB.jpg

Looks like y’all got some actual snow! The little bit we got the other day only stuck around for a hour or two, but it was long enough for Eleanor to go out on the deck in her pajamas and snow boots and play in it.

That was a fun giveaway, but all the credit for the idea goes to @Jack Black, who had done the same thing a few years earlier.

If you ever try Grain Belt, Barrett, let us know what you think! ;)
The first verse in the video you posted reminded me of Hee Haw for sure! I liked that song, especially the pedal steel! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I’ll have to give it a try sometime. I’ve heard their Nordeast is supposed to be good. I believe it’s an Amber Lager.

I’m glad you enjoyed the song. :D That’s a band I first heard a few years back when they opened for another band that we were seeing in concert.

Barrett and Paul, I adore the knives you posted :thumbsup::cool::cool:, but detest the snow pics! :(:thumbsdown:

Winter is coming! Resistance is futile! ;) :D

You got that Lag at Costco?;):D:cool:
I wish! The beef, Will! The beef! :D
Looks tasty, Gary! :thumbsup::cool::cool: Just yesterday, my wife and I happened to reminisce about cream chipped beef on toast, which neither of us has had for decades. But your beef on bread is qualitatively different, I'd wager! :D
Mmmm, creamed chipped beef on toast! Air Force chow hall staple, affectionately called SOS.:D
Yes, my lunch today was a little better. :)

I wish! The beef, Will! The beef! :D

Mmmm, creamed chipped beef on toast! Air Force chow hall staple, affectionately called SOS.:D
Yes, my lunch today was a little better. :)
My wife and I had also discussed the affectionate name, but I was afraid to include it in my post for fear that a moderator might ding me for offensive language! :D:p

- GT

5K Qs 5K Qs ~ thanks for the kind words Gary!

Inside on this kind of wet day and carrying a couple of Pruners . An old Stag ,
and my newest acquisition , a Case XX

Harry
Ok. I like your new old CaseXX! Nice find. And the blade looks almost mint!

We escaped any snow! Got home in time to sit on my butt and watch the second half of the Bears game, and went out to rearrange leaves out of the creek and lawn into the compost piles where they belong. While I was finishing up, I realized the temp had dropped enough to make a fire. Which is one of the best parts of cold weather!View attachment 1439623

I need learn to post pictures
I really like the Autopoint Advertising knife cracked ice scales
long pull clip point 3 3/8in closed

My wife and I had also discussed the affectionate name, but I was afraid to include it in my post for fear that a moderator might ding me for offensive language! :D:p

I tried to ding myself, Gary! It wouldn't work! :D

5K Qs 5K Qs ~ thanks for the kind words Gary!

Ok. I like your new old CaseXX! Nice find. And the blade looks almost mint!

We escaped any snow! Got home in time to sit on my butt and watch the second half of the Bears game, and went out to rearrange leaves out of the creek and lawn into the compost piles where they belong. While I was finishing up, I realized the temp had dropped enough to make a fire. Which is one of the best parts of cold weather!View attachment 1439623
We've got a fire going tonight too. Takes the chill off and you are right. It's one of the best parts of the colder weather.

I need learn to post pictures
I really like the Autopoint Advertising knife cracked ice scales
long pull clip point 3 3/8in closed
Love the username, Bruce Lee avatar, and Patton quote. Have you tried the Imgur app for posting pics?

I spent some time cleaning up X-Caliber.
Took the gloss off the ebony and put a slight satin finish on the bolsters to hide all the scratches.
Celebrated with a cold brew...
Favorite knife, John? It's a looker. Good beer, too.

Back