What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

pBipIFR.jpg

Beautiful Catt and Cat, Gev! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Such a lot of wonderful knives folks have been posting all week! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: I wonder if I'll ever make time to post my daily retrospectives on the knives that most catch my fancy?? I HATE the coronavirus and all the changes it has made to my life and times! :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::(:mad:

Watch Pocket Knife this week is a Case mini copperhead, IMHO perhaps the prettiest knife I own:
View attachment 1446633

Big Knife of the Week is a Rough Rider ram's horn bone cotton sampler. I've been frequently using it for food prep this week, and it takes me some getting used to best ways to use this big-bellied blade for chopping fruit and vegetables!
View attachment 1446634

Miscellaneous Knife of the Week is a Case CV chestnut jigged bone muskrat. I love the knives in this series, but I wish the dye job were a little more uniform on this muskrat that I bought very early this year and haven't carried much at all:
View attachment 1446635
Gotta love the tang stamp, though! :)
View attachment 1446636

- GT

I'd have to agree on the beauty of the Case mini copperhead, Gary. :thumbsup::)

I used to eat them raw as a kid when me and my mate would bring back big hauls from the woods. They're nicer roasted, but still tasty raw. My find last year was Turkish Hazelnuts, which I discovered littering a nearby street :) We still get traditional chestnut roasters in the streets here, but they're not as common as in the past :( :thumbsup:

mwGbEwu.jpg

Thank you very much Dean :) :thumbsup:

Thanks JJ, looks like you mean business with those two :) :thumbsup:

w
Looking good Gary, particularly like that impressive Cotton Sampler :) I think I may even have one somewhere :D :thumbsup:

Wishing everyone a very happy Halloween weekend :) I'm being even duller than usual today, as I still have these two in my pockets :rolleyes: I may change later though ;) :thumbsup:

QUPqqvQ.jpg

NqS4LH0.jpg

Love the roasted chestnuts cart, Jack. :) I lived in South Korea when I was young and there were roasted chestnut sellers everywhere. Last time I went there, I only found one. Times change.:( Spooky knife photos today. :eek::eek::eek::)

You're gonna send me on search too.
That's nice, I bet it would be a great skinner.
Boker has a newer model available, which I also have. A really nice knife in D2 and brown Micarta. A web search for Boker Plus Nessmi Pro will turn up a number of places to purchase, some are BF dealer members.

This is kind of a quick, slipshod attempt at catching up in this thread, at least responding to posts directed at me.

It looks nekid. :eek::D
That’s a cool Diamond Edge GT! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I’ve never seen such a thing. Does it have actual metal covers pinned on, or are those dimples just for show?
Thank you, Gary. Your RR half whittler does not have a flaw; it has a feature.

It's always nice to see your sleek unclothed Imperial Diamond Edge, Gary.
Thanks, John & @Spaten & Dean. :) Yeah, I sometimes refer to my knives that have bare metal handles because the thin celluloid/synthetic veneer has peeled off as "naked knives". ;) I can still see a couple of shreds of some light-colored thin cover material trapped between the liners and the "clipped-on" metal covers. The bolsters and cover on each side are a single piece held on by a little crimped clip at each end of the knife. The dimples/bumps are definitely just for show, and I'll bet stuck out through a hole in the thin covering sheet to simulate the appearance of real pins.

Dean, do you mind if I adapt that "feature, not flaw" claim to occasional domestic discussions where applicable? :rolleyes:

Thanks very much, Gary!!! :D

Very cool global threesome; I really like the blade shape on your MAM!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks, JJ. :) That MAM model reminds me of a toothpick pattern.

Thanks Gary, I'll spare you my singing! :D Yes, I carry the Farmer a lot when I go out, the saw gets a fair bit of use, along with the punch :) Terrific trio there my friend :thumbsup:
Thanks for the Farmer info and the kind comment, Jack. :)

Thanks Gary! :thumbsup: The #79 is a great pattern! That’s some beautiful Horn and Stag you’re sharing today! :cool:
Thanks, Ron. :)

These two for me today. I hope y’all have a great day and weekend! :) :thumbsup:

50270607166_b5f4791d6e_o_d.jpg
Old Friends Friday, or Black Friday. Get both.
View attachment 1442201 View attachment 1442202 View attachment 1442203 The old Eagle,Phila cigar jack got me again. With it’s heavily worn blades and home ground E/O notcheso_O, it is admittedly homely. But the jet black ebony, and nickle silver bolsters and shield draw me in, and once I pick it up and slide my hand over those smooth contours, I’m gone. Interestingly, this is my sharpest knife. And all of my knives are SHARP. We often use the term “razor sharp”...

I found this about Eagle, Phila:
View attachment 1442215
Toting these two ebony covered jacks today. :)
A couple dressed in black for me today.

1JxLrLN.jpg
Dandy dynamic dark duos, Ron & Jeff & JJ & Dylan! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

This will be the last day for X-Caliber for a while.
I'm getting super bored carrying the same thing every day.
I wanted to see what it was like for past generations to just carry the same tool until it wore out.
But that's not really me (us), we have too much disposable income and it's much too fun to have some variety.
I guess to me, knives are more that just a tool. So, I want to be able switch it up as I see fit and have fun with it.

I made it about six weeks... ;)
I think you have a good idea there. :cool::thumbsup:
I could pick a knife that always stays with me, and then rotate a second choice each day to ride along with it.
In the vain of carrying one tool around for a long time,
and satisfying my need for variety... I'm going back to a "user" group.
My daily tote will be picked from these knives, giving variety but allowing for some bonding.
You might notice that they are my favorites and I've already bonded with each one of them... my usual's.
It was fascinating to track your attempt at being a 1-knife man, John! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I can vouch for the efficacy of your one-forever, one-rotating plan. That's essentially what I do, but my rotation is weekly instead of daily (and I have 4 knives I ALWAYS carry, and sets of 14 chosen from about 165 knives, instead of 1 chosen from a set of 5, that rotate weekly :D:rolleyes:).

5K Qs 5K Qs this one comes in at 3 5/8” closed.
Thanks for the info. :) I consider that about the perfect length.

Elegant in its simplicity, Dean! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
When I was a lad, my dad almost always carried a 2-blade jack very similar to that pattern, although I'm sure his was never a Case. IIRC, our knives were typically purchased at the hardware store in the nearest little town or at the Grange Store in the bigger "county seat" a few miles farther away, and I think both featured knives from Imperial and/or Colonial.

Captivating CS canittler! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Fedex was good to me yesterday.:) They delivered this Case SS Pocket Worn Harvest Orange Bone Sod Buster Jr.. I really like it I'll carry it today and break it in.
That's a VERY appealing SBJr., ED! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Wouldn't bat an eye around here.
Five knives does sound like a lot. I'm usually carrying two traditionals of different sizes. The smaller one in a watch pocket or slip, if I don't want them knocking against each other.

Plus a modern clipped on a pocket.

Oh yeah, there's also the Vik Mini-Champ on my keyring....so that makes four.

Five knives would be extreme. :eek:;)
It all seems so subjective. My guiding principle seems to be that 5 knives times four would be extreme. :rolleyes:

There's a LOT to like about that knife, Alan, not least of which is the cover texture!! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

- GT

Did I say "quick"? What foolishness! :eek::rolleyes:

I can understand not wanting to carry the same knife every day but I did in fact carry this one every day from when I bought it in 1961 until I retired in 2001 .

Harry
Seeing a photo and reading the story of that knife and your devotion is always inspiring, Harry! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Quite an elk herd, Jeff!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

At least all your quotes didn't disappear (that's been happening a lot to me lately). :confused:

I'll have to pick up some Grain Belt the next time I'm at the liquor store. :thumbsup:

Does the snow ever actually wait until after Christmas in your neck of the woods? :D

I was really surprised by the Joker. I mean, I thought they looked really cool and figured I was going to like it, but the quality and feel in-hand really surpassed my expectations.

Eleanor was wearing the same monster boots as last year. :) We bought them a bit big, but they are getting snug now, so we may have to get her something different before winter's over.
When my quotes disappear, I almost always know why (even if I often couldn't have done anything about it).
I wonder if Rust Belt beer or Bible Belt beer would be marketable brands? ;)
I heard on a TV weather spot this week that our local "average date" of first measurable snow is November 9. I tend to evaluate winters using this metric: if I don't have to shovel snow before Thanksgiving, that's a good winter. I'm guessing winters split fairly evenly between good and bad on that criterion. But my wife and daughter have spent many mid-December days agonizing over whether or not we'll have a White Christmas. I don't have a good feel for what percentage of our December 25s have snow on the ground; I'm sure it's over 50%, but I'd guess it's less than 80%.
I have several Jokers, wood/stag/horn, and I like them all! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Those monster boots are awesome! :p

That's a Buck 317 Ridgeway. According to an old thread in the Buck sub-forum, it was meant for the UK and EU countries that frown on lock-backs. I thought the "7" should be in the middle of a Chinese-made Buck, but at $25 I wasn't too surprised to see "China" on it. According to the old thread, these were made for Europe and not meant for the US market.
vF1vysx.jpg
Thanks for the info on that handsome Buck. :)

Thanks.
It was time to pay forward some of the good fortune and generosity I've seen over the years.
I've given him multiple knives, tools, hatchets, sharpening gear, and now I'm getting him into airguns so I've got a shooting buddy.
Altruism with a hint of selfishness is best! :D

Thank you, Gary. I'm fortunate to have a hiking friend who puts up with my knife photography. He often makes recommendations for photos. Also, we have about 20 Metro Parks in this area, so the diversity of terrain is pretty good.
Sounds like a good situation! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Those covers do look outstanding and the sunken joints are definitely a bonus!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for the support, JJ. :)

These four are a great beginning to your new rotation schedule, Gary. I've commented on the first three before (or in the case of the Pocket pal, one of the iterations). Your Okapi Baby Sable is a real neat looking design; do you use it at all?
I appreciate your comments, Dean. :) I haven't used the Okapi much this week, but have used it often in the past; it's a very serviceable knife. One thing I really like is that its external backspring helped me understand better how normal spring knives work.

I think well-worn red alox looks so good. :cool::thumbsup:
Real pretty bone on that Case. :cool::thumbsup:
Most excellent stock knives and canoes today, Gary. Love the Chestnut bone Sowbelly and Case Canoe with the blade etching. :thumbsup:
Thanks, John & Dean. :) Most of the Alox wear had already occurred when I bought the knife, so I can't take credit for it.
And I'm a big fan of Case's chestnut jigged bone CV series; I think I currently have 8 patterns in the series (3 were gifts from generous Forumites). Someday I'd like to find a Case canoe of that type, even though it predates the series from which the others I have come.

Exciting stuff Gary :) Cool Quartet :cool: :thumbsup:

Quality quartet GT, I'm enjoying your new line-up :) :thumbsup:

Looking good Gary, particularly like that impressive Cotton Sampler :) I think I may even have one somewhere :D :thumbsup:

Wishing everyone a very happy Halloween weekend :) I'm being even duller than usual today, as I still have these two in my pockets :rolleyes: I may change later though ;) :thumbsup:
I'm grateful for your encouragement, Jack. :) I have a couple of RR cotton samplers, a small one with excellent stag bone covers (I think mine is very similar to one @Will Power has) and that 4" model with simulated ram's horn.
Your pair is certainly worthy of consecutive days of carry!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

Back