What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Scratted Ancient Barlow for TC Tuesday this week.

View attachment 1461426
Noteworthy example, Dean; the scratted covers always appeal to me! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Toting these two for Tuesday, a Robeson electrician and a Cattaraugus Whit-L-Craft. :)
JJ, you've been on a roll this week with the intriguing scout-isn patterns! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm beginning to suspect one reason I was able to carry the same two or three knives for consecutive years, is at least partly because I didn't have other knives crying to be carried.
I think I'm going to change to a 110 or 2 blade slipjoint folding hunter, and a different stockman, on or after turkey day. All this crying coming from the armoire is getting on my nerves.
View attachment 1461531
Who is in charge over there, you or the knives??? :eek:;)

DtT9YOV.jpg
Captivating classic, Steve! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I like the way you drilled your Opinel to add the fob! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

JMQ1hpT.jpg

Just some obsolete man-jewelry :rolleyes:
:D:thumbsup:
Very cool handle mod on the Opinel, David! :thumbsup::cool::cool:
Thanks for the details in a later post. :)

Happy Friday-on-a-Wednesday, everyone!
hzTsmGc.jpg
That 2-blade bonestag teardrop is a marvelous blend of form and function! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Dependable dark duo! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I really like this CASE Barlow, English Walnut covers and fit and finish is impeccable:thumbsup: I liked it before but even more now after converting the pen blade into a coping blade:) paired today with a small Tinker.
yneVtV.jpg
Superior blade mod on that very handsome Case Barlow, Paul! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Happy Thanksgiving to all my US friends and a Happy Thursday to all my non US friends! I hope y'all are well and spending the day with someone you love and care about! I'm thankful for so many things. Pam and I are spending Thanksgiving in our home. We will be taking a short drive to take Pam's brother a meal later this afternoon. I've picked two big 'uns to carry today. You can't ever tell when I might have to carve a turkey breast or slice some dressing. ;) Y'all stay safe out there! :) :thumbsup:

50355544971_298e271d49_o.jpg
Couple of elegant ebony carries for the holiday, Ron! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I am making stuffing, mashed and sweet taters, cranberry sauce, broccoli and corn, with a blueberry pie for wrapping it up. All from scratch, and NO green beans mixed with nasty cream of something soup topped with factory made deep fried “onions”!o_O:D
My sympathies to you and yours, Jeff, for depriving yourself of one of my favorite Thanksgiving traditions! :eek:;):rolleyes:

- GT

Simple is good my friend :) The TC was a gift from the ever-generous Duncan @Campbellclanman at our first meeting in Sheffield some years ago :) :thumbsup:

JssEETJ.jpg

Great photo, Jack! :thumbsup: Duncan must not like those TC Barlows very much, seems like he’s always giving them away. ;) :D I’ll re-share this photo of the lost-and-found 2012 PPP that I won in his giveaway a couple years, taken not far from where your photo was taken. (This knife might actually be in your photo, too, although out of sight.)

ABFkxAQ.jpg

Pam and I were getting ready to leave out in the morning to visit our daughter in DC. We were planning to visit her for a week at Thanksgiving and Christmas both. We've prayed and thought and prayed some more about the dangers of going. I finally broke down and called her this morning and told her we would not be coming for Thanksgiving. It broke my heart to have to do it. I'm not going to lie, there might have been a few tears shed on both ends of the conversation. :( Good Lord willing maybe we'll feel better about the situation at Christmas. I'm carrying these two in Black for today. I've got my LT Wright Patriot in Black Micarta and D2. I've paired it with my 2018 Guardians Special Ebony Lambsfoot. Y'all stay safe out there! :) :thumbsup:

50096632818_202a09e94d_b.jpg

Sorry to hear about your Thanksgiving plans, Ron. :( I hope you and Pam were able to have an enjoyable one nonetheless.

We were planning on going home to Arkansas for Christmas, but decided to cancel. Between my family and my wife’s, it would’ve meant seeing folks from 7 or 8 different households and 4 different states, and it just didn’t seem like the right decision. The worst part was having to tell Eleanor, who had been talking about going to Nana’s house for Christmas for months. That was tough.

Sunday Carry!!! I guess my Indian River Jack is green enough!
8cB2rxT.jpg

Handsome pair there, Taylor! :thumbsup:

I’m carrying wood and stag today. I’ve got my Wright’s large Pere David stag Lambsfoot and a new Opinel No.8 limited edition with red laminated Birch. Y’all stay safe out there! :) :thumbsup:

50644937607_76a7bc7122_o_d.jpg

I like that Opinel, Ron! :cool: I always wish they did some of those interesting/unique handle materials with carbon blades.

JMQ1hpT.jpg

Just some obsolete man-jewelry :rolleyes:
:D:thumbsup:

Thanks! Yes I carved it with a double spiral and scorched one of them with a mico torch. Now its "rare" and "one of a kind" probably can add "vintage" so I probably could sell it on etsy for $900 :D But I wont sell, as it was a gift.;)
That teardrop wharncliffe is subline:cool::thumbsup:

Nice work on your Opinel, David. It looks really good! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I enjoyed everyone’s Thanksgiving posts. We had a low-key day and a nice meal (turkey, scalloped potatoes, bacon-wrapped green beans, cranberry relish, crescent rolls and pumpkin pie). I didn’t take a single knife photo on Thanksgiving, but this is what I had in my pocket (a gift from @Âchillepattada, for which I am very thankful).

aBcnvDp.jpg

Going with this Bull Nose today (old photo, as it’s early here and still dark out).

J5P49VE.jpg

Great photo, Jack! :thumbsup: Duncan must not like those TC Barlows very much, seems like he’s always giving them away. ;) :D I’ll re-share this photo of the lost-and-found 2012 PPP that I won in his giveaway a couple years, taken not far from where your photo was taken. (This knife might actually be in your photo, too, although out of sight.)

ABFkxAQ.jpg

Sorry to hear about your Thanksgiving plans, Ron. :( I hope you and Pam were able to have an enjoyable one nonetheless.

We were planning on going home to Arkansas for Christmas, but decided to cancel. Between my family and my wife’s, it would’ve meant seeing folks from 7 or 8 different households and 4 different states, and it just didn’t seem like the right decision. The worst part was having to tell Eleanor, who had been talking about going to Nana’s house for Christmas for months. That was tough.

Handsome pair there, Taylor! :thumbsup:

I like that Opinel, Ron! :cool: I always wish they did some of those interesting/unique handle materials with carbon blades.

Nice work on your Opinel, David. It looks really good! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I enjoyed everyone’s Thanksgiving posts. We had a low-key day and a nice meal (turkey, scalloped potatoes, bacon-wrapped green beans, cranberry relish, crescent rolls and pumpkin pie). I didn’t take a single knife photo on Thanksgiving, but this is what I had in my pocket (a gift from @Âchillepattada, for which I am very thankful).

aBcnvDp.jpg

Going with this Bull Nose today (old photo, as it’s early here and still dark out).

J5P49VE.jpg

Thanks Barrett :) Like yourself, Duncan is a very generous :) That's a great pic my friend, it brings back some happy memories. From what I remember of Duncan's giveaway, and the whole adventure, he did have one of those knives with him, either the original or the replacement, and he would have had it in the pub too. When I checked my photos, he had this one hen we visited Stan Shaw, so either my memory is incorrect, or he was festooned with TCs ;) :D :thumbsup:

YBH7EHD.jpg

I'm glad to hear you had a nice Thanksgiving buddy :) Sorry to hear about Christmas, and I hope you all have a very happy one nonetheless :) :thumbsup:

All of my own TC Barlows have been in The Fat Cat many times of course ;) :thumbsup:

EUrI1Wv.jpg

Last edited:
That 2-blade bonestag teardrop is a marvelous blend of form and function! :cool::thumbsup:
Thank you.
My sympathies to you and yours, Jeff, for depriving yourself of one of my favorite Thanksgiving traditions! :eek:;)
To each his own, my friend. I'll be content to go at least another year without being served any more gloopy casseroles.

This wooden pair was calling to me.
DOJ2sGb.jpg

Utica and a PAL Blade Co.

80NI4wz.jpg
Notable pair, Steve! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you folks today . Much to be thankful for . Today it is 2 Wooden ones and of course a Stag

All are carried in Slips

Harry
Valuable variety in that trio, Harry; a size for every occasion! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Whenever I think of a Canoe knife, that's the exact knife I think of. It's a Classic. :cool::thumbsup:
Thanks, John. :)

What's the saying? "That one punches above its weight!" :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Hope you had a safe and enjoyable holiday, Dean!

Toting an old BSA scout from Remington to prepare for "Turkey Day" preparations. :)
Yet another scintillating scout, JJ, along with a matching match-safe! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Not much in common between those two knives, Alan, except that they complement one another to make a very versatile pair!! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

First chance I've had to post my carry today - my Hartshead Barlow and a much older Lambsfoot by Alfred Blackwell :) Have a good Friday folks :thumbsup:

khMC202.jpg

Primo pair, Jack, and another stirring photo of your stag HHB! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

The GEC #33 Conductor is becoming a habit, it packs a lot of blade for such a small carry.
Decided to carry my Ebony Lamb since today is the Real Black Friday, plus it gives my Rosewood Lamb a rest.

Dynamite duo, John! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Cool metal lockback! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: All stainless steel?

Thanks a lot Gary, three very interesting knives there my friend :cool: :) :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack. :)

A couple of old friends today. The 301 I got in 1974 (no pocket slips for the 5 years I carried that one), and a SAK I got in the late ‘80’s or early ‘90’s. Enjoy your leftovers today! :D
Thanks for introducing us to your old friends, Les! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you for your kind comments about my knives, Gary. Your Sabre Trapper is exquisite (which means it was formerly quisite :)).
Thanks for the trapper comment, Dean, and for your definition of "exquisite", which got me inquisitive about the etymology of "exquisite" and "inquisitive" and "acquisition" and "prerequisite", which all seem to be based on a Latin verb for "to seek". :):cool:

For 'Old Friends Friday,' I'm carrying my I*XL Barlow.

View attachment 1463134
XL-ent old friend, Dean! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

GTZvakA.jpg

Mostly this one today. Le Thiers Compact, by Chambriard. Fragrant juniper handle, 14C28 steel.
Beau couteau, Vince! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

My B-Day carry today :)
cd6emAI.jpg
Belated birthday greetings! :):cool::thumbsup:

Today I carry this GEC # 83 in Natural stag and serialized with nº 28.;):thumbsup:
... ...
First-class small stag lockback, José! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

- GT

Thanks Barrett :) Like yourself, Duncan is a very generous :) That's a great pic my friend, it brings back some happy memories. From what I remember of Duncan's giveaway, and the whole adventure, he did have one of those knives with him, either the original or the replacement, and he would have had it in the pub too. When I checked my photos, he had this one hen we visited Stan Shaw, so either my memory is incorrect, or he was festooned with TCs ;) :D :thumbsup:

YBH7EHD.jpg

I'm glad to hear you had a nice Thanksgiving buddy :) Sorry to hear about Christmas, and I hope you all have a very happy one nonetheless :) :thumbsup:

All of my own TC Barlows have been in The Fat Cat many times of course ;) :thumbsup:

EUrI1Wv.jpg

Thanks, Jack. “Festooned with TCs” sounds about right. :D

Duncan had mentioned in that giveaway thread how well-traveled that particular TC was, and that he’d had it with him when you showed him around Sheffield, which was the main reason I chose to bring it with me. Figured I’d put a few more miles on it. :D

(Here’s a short quote from that thread.)

I have looked at the journey of this Knife, originally from America, to me, carried with such pride in new Zealand, taken on Holiday to England where I met Jack- Jack most likely met this Knife - then Jack, Sue and I walked around Sheffield for the day- awesome, The Knife then went to Scotland with me, then back to New Zealand.

To continue Duncan’s travel log, the TC went from New Zealand to Minnesota, then back to England (London, Sheffield, Bath, Cardiff and down to Jurassic coast), and then back to Minnesota. Hopefully it won’t be too long before I can take it somewhere else.

XMj58yT.jpg

Edited to add: Cardiff, of course, is in Wales, not England. Perhaps I should’ve said “the U.K.” :D

Last edited:
So I'm guessing it's indoor weather? ;)

Dark and stormy ;) :D :thumbsup:

These two are becoming good friends and want to hang out together as often as possible.

That's a nice combination John :) :thumbsup:

Primo pair, Jack, and another stirring photo of your stag HHB! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks buddy :) :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack. “Festooned with TCs” sounds about right. :D

Duncan had mentioned in that giveaway thread how well-traveled that particular TC was, and that he’d had it with him when you showed him around Sheffield, which was the main reason I chose to bring it with me. Figured I’d put a few more miles on it. :D

(Here’s a short quote from that thread.)

To continue Duncan’s travel log, the TC went from New Zealand to Minnesota, then back to England (London, Sheffield, Bath, Cardiff and down to Jurassic coast), and then back to Minnesota. Hopefully it won’t be too long before I can take it somewhere else.

XMj58yT.jpg

That's pretty incredible Barrett, and a really great pic there my friend :) :thumbsup:

Back