What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Jeff, Pam and I really enjoyed meeting your family and the breakfast was great too. I’m glad y’all made it home okay. The 804 looks right at home with your other Schrade’s. ;) Well deserved, use it in good health my friend! :) :thumbsup:

You're a class act Ron :) :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot, Jack!!!

Great pairing to start the week; a very cool old Rodgers pen to ride along with your HHB!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Toting these two slicers to start the week. :)

Many thanks JJ, I love the look of that pair, both handsome and useful :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Carrying my Stan Shaw Lambsfoot today, along with a Random Tuesday Lino Knife :thumbsup:

FG9Fuo6.jpg

hro8IOT.jpg

Fantastic stag and horn, Jose’! Anyone would be proud to have one of those in hand.
Any chance the bottom one started life as a hawkbill?

Thank you very much, Jeff. Yes, I really like these three, the bottom one, I don't know what it was like because I already bought it as is.:):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you Ron, it wasn't too bad thanks my friend :)

We were fortunate to have Sue acting as group photographer :) Sometime later, I received this A2 sized photo in the mail, got it framed on my wall :thumbsup:

OFMyzEo.jpg

That must have been fantastic Ron :) I hope you reminded Jeff that there's a special thread he can show off that nice-looking Lambsfoot of his in :D ;) Great-looking pairing there :thumbsup:

Thank you Dean, the weather was pretty miserable, but I was glad to get some fresh air :) :thumbsup:

That's very nice :cool: Who is the maker (excuse me if I've asked before)? :thumbsup:

Thanks JJ! :D ;) What a beautiful matched pair, and in stunning condition of course :) :thumbsup:
The maker is J Lewis and Sons.
Factinating to read of yours and CampbellClanMans meeting with Stan as is the videos of him making the penknife.
Elegant, too!

Fantastic stag and horn, Jose’! Anyone would be proud to have one of those in hand.
Any chance the bottom one started life as a hawkbill?

We would have jumped at the chance, meal or no meal, Harry.
You know what? A Bat Flu mask can’t hide that guy’s big ‘ol grin!:D

That’s great ~ did you have to completely disassemble it in order to pin the stag scales on?

Had a great visit, my friend!:thumbsup:;)

That’s when I ask myself how much do I really need to go in there?:D

Duly chastised, mate!
Keep a spot warm for me over there, huh?
Cool photo!

We are recovering from our drive home from Georgia as well, Bruce.
Sure is a beautiful area!:thumbsup:
I have not seen many stag handled sheffield folders with spear points and yes it is an elegant shape. Just noticed a small chip to the blade, rap from the spring:( Reading up on how to correct it.

You're a class act Ron :) :thumbsup:

Carrying my Stan Shaw Lambsfoot today, along with a Random Tuesday Lino Knife :thumbsup:

FG9Fuo6.jpg

hro8IOT.jpg
Thanks Jack! I appreciate that my friend! :) Two great choices today! The Lambsfoot from Stan is a beauty. I've never seen a hawk bill quite like that one. It's a beautiful old knife with the etch still intact. The bone is outstanding and the shield is very interesting also. :cool: Did this maker use a shield like that on all their offerings! Again just a great old knife. :) :thumbsup:

I'm wearing long pants in the house this morning. ;) The temp is in the lower 30's and I had to warm up my sweeties car for her, so I decided against the usual shorts. :eek: I've got three out this morning since I've got plenty of pockets! :rolleyes: I've got my Beaver Tail #23, (Thank you Barrett and Eleanor @btb01). I've also got my Wright's PD stag big'un. Then as I almost forgot, I picked a Queen City Rosewood Copperhead out of the tool box for my Tuesday Random Carry. The Queen City has a soft spot in my heart because I bought it from our late friend and fellow forumite Bob aka @BigBiscuit. Y'all stay safe out there! :) :thumbsup:

50667223913_16e9694fb3_o.jpg

50668043812_e7d874b765_o.jpg

The maker is J Lewis and Sons.
Factinating to read of yours and CampbellClanMans meeting with Stan as is the videos of him making the penknife.

I have not seen many stag handled sheffield folders with spear points and yes it is an elegant shape. Just noticed a small chip to the blade, rap from the spring:( Reading up on how to correct it.

Thanks for the info :) I'm glad you found the video interesting. It's is Stan's 94th birthday tomorrow :) You'll see more Spear points than Clips. Sorry to hear about the chipped blade, I hope you can sort it out :thumbsup:

3skkRLV.jpg

Thanks Jack! I appreciate that my friend! :) Two great choices today! The Lambsfoot from Stan is a beauty. I've never seen a hawk bill quite like that one. It's a beautiful old knife with the etch still intact. The bone is outstanding and the shield is very interesting also. :cool: Did this maker use a shield like that on all their offerings! Again just a great old knife. :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Ron :) I've seen 3 of those Lancaster Lino Knives, all the same pattern, so perhaps they ordered a big consignment from whichever Sheffield cutler made them. The shield is very unusual, and while I can't say for certain, I'd be surprised if the maker used a shoield like that on all their other knives. Most of the Lino Knives have been fixed blades. I have several, but don't seem to be able to find a pic :thumbsup:

3skkRLV.jpg

Thanks Ron :) I've seen 3 of those Lancaster Lino Knives, all the same pattern, so perhaps they ordered a big consignment from whichever Sheffield cutler made them. The shield is very unusual, and while I can't say for certain, I'd be surprised if the maker used a shield like that on all their other knives. Most of the Lino Knives have been fixed blades. I have several, but don't seem to be able to find a pic :thumbsup:
It's good to see your Abbey Jack my friend! Thanks for the additional info on the Lino knife. :thumbsup: Over here we would probably just call that a Hawk Bill. ;) They do sell a lot of fixed blade knives in the paint and hardware stores. Both in big chain and Mom and Pop stores. Some of those are labeled as Lino knives. :) :thumbsup:

The Bladeforums 2020 Viper is everything I hoped for and more. It’s a drop smaller than ether the GEC or the RR, it’s a bit stouter than the GEC and way ahead of the RR in luxurious quality (if that makes any sense). The rounded back spring is a different touch. I like it. The closing snap is more muted. I chalk that up to the stop pin?61B84FD5-6484-42FC-991B-BB85829E23A4.jpeg06C974B6-E4A1-4BF8-824F-B22C8A4C1162.jpeg1B10C9DD-537C-4F1C-8BD8-43D57BC02D19.jpeg

Thanks for the info :) I'm glad you found the video interesting. It's is Stan's 94th birthday tomorrow :) You'll see more Spear points than Clips. Sorry to hear about the chipped blade, I hope you can sort it out :thumbsup:

3skkRLV.jpg

Thanks Ron :) I've seen 3 of those Lancaster Lino Knives, all the same pattern, so perhaps they ordered a big consignment from whichever Sheffield cutler made them. The shield is very unusual, and while I can't say for certain, I'd be surprised if the maker used a shoield like that on all their other knives. Most of the Lino Knives have been fixed blades. I have several, but don't seem to be able to find a pic :thumbsup:
The man is a living piece of history, which is said as intended. I just hope there are some who have learnt what he had to teach.
Best bit of the vid was the work to correct a binding blade and offsetting the blade to clear the other. That is not simple but he made it look so!
I prefer clip point to spear, the belly has a more everyday appeal but I tend to see straight cutting edges more with stag handles, well at least for sale. Love your example, the stag looks mega.
I was going to use my welder to add a mm or two to the kick but decided against, will try to hone the edge and see if clears.

A wonderful Classic Canoe today.
A special gift from my friend @mitch4ging
John, I'm happy when I see a knife like that appear! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I'm carrying my BladeForums Buck 301 for Stagurday.

View attachment 1463439
Dean, that knife is worthy of a toast with beer! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Buck 501 Sqiire

x6oXNCW.jpg
ED, your svelte Buck fills me with cheer! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Two new arrivals in yesterdays mail, Boker Castle Burg Barlow with Acid Wash (removed by me) O1 blade (excuse the glare) and 2020 Aqua Blue Pioneer:thumbsup:
v6MExd.jpg
Paul, congrats on a couple of new knives you must hold dear! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

View attachment 1463637
Road trip companions.

Oh. And our masks.:rolleyes:
Jeff, be careful with the knife (and handgun) so you don't lose an ear! :eek:;)
(And I'm glad to see someone else who still uses a road atlas instead of some GPS machine. My wife and daughter always stick a GPS to the windshield and it drives me nuts not to have a "big picture" of the area through which I'm traveling. :(:rolleyes:).

Thanks, it’s a very good knife but benefits from a more acute edge. That’s about 3 hours of work on a diamond stone, tedious but paid off!
Definitely time well-spent, have no fear! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thank you, Gary. Terrific Trilogy of knives you have there. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Dean, thanks for the compliment on my gear. :)

Thank you kindly, Gary!!!

Terrific threesome today; your lamb is definitely a beautiful brute!:eek::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Great carry choices today Gary! :) :thumbsup:
Great knife choices as usual.
Another magnificent choice for the week!:thumbsup::thumbsup::)
Nice-looking trip Gary :) :thumbsup:
JJ & Ron & T Trvr & José & Jack, thanks for telling a guy what he likes to hear! :)
(Of course, is someone tells me different, I just jeer. :rolleyes:)

Thank you very much, Gary. You will find for sure, there are still many for sale you have to do some research.:):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for the encouragement, José. :) I'll try to find one of those "KL" SAKs (I assume that's NOT King Lear. :p)

We were planning on going home to Arkansas for Christmas, but decided to cancel. Between my family and my wife’s, it would’ve meant seeing folks from 7 or 8 different households and 4 different states, and it just didn’t seem like the right decision. The worst part was having to tell Eleanor, who had been talking about going to Nana’s house for Christmas for months. That was tough.
I enjoyed everyone’s Thanksgiving posts. We had a low-key day and a nice meal (turkey, scalloped potatoes, bacon-wrapped green beans, cranberry relish, crescent rolls and pumpkin pie). I didn’t take a single knife photo on Thanksgiving, but this is what I had in my pocket (a gift from @Âchillepattada, for which I am very thankful).

aBcnvDp.jpg

It must be tough for young kids to understand all the implications of the pandemic! :(
Barrett, that French gift knife is one I'd be sure to keep near! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

To each his own, my friend. I'll be content to go at least another year without being served any more gloopy casseroles.

This wooden pair was calling to me.
DOJ2sGb.jpg
Gloopy casseroles, fresh fruit & cheese, tortilla chips, and desserts are basically what I live on! Food without peer! :D
Anyone who criticizes your little sleeveboard pen knife deserves a kick in the rear! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Thank you, GT. :)
That's an Alox Bantam, so the secondary is their combo bottle opener, can opener, and screwdriver... very useful tool.
Thanks for the info, John; that tool seems a grand complement to the spear! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks, Gary. You've no shortage of good-looking cutlery yourself!
Vince, your writing that caused my eye to well up with a tear. ;)

Thanks! Yep, it's 3", all stainless steel, solid lockup, and a whopping $4.99 (plus tax). They also have the same knife with brass handles for a couple of bucks more. Maybe I need a set.........:rolleyes:
Thanks for the info. :thumbsup::) Sounds like a knife of the year! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

Back