What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Western
14W5wOM.jpg

z73THSz.jpg

It's good to see your Abbey Jack my friend! Thanks for the additional info on the Lino knife. :thumbsup: Over here we would probably just call that a Hawk Bill. ;) They do sell a lot of fixed blade knives in the paint and hardware stores. Both in big chain and Mom and Pop stores. Some of those are labeled as Lino knives. :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Ron, the Sheffield cutlers essentially sold the same simple knives for multiple purposes - leather knives, lino knives, pruning knives, etc ;) Here's a Leather Knife by Harrison Brothers & Howson, a little bigger than usual :thumbsup:

0VaKIjS.jpg

I have another Sheffield-made Lino Knife, which is just the same as one that appears in a rather notorious and bloody scene in the film Eastern Promises :eek:

Hawkbill blades were once available for Stanley utility knives :thumbsup:

And I thought your Yorkshire Rose was nice, that one's fantastic! :cool::thumbsup:

Thank you kindly John :thumbsup:

It's Tuesday, so why not a Trapper to go along with my Lamb. :cool::thumbsup:

Winning combination :cool: :thumbsup:

The man is a living piece of history, which is said as intended. I just hope there are some who have learnt what he had to teach.
Best bit of the vid was the work to correct a binding blade and offsetting the blade to clear the other. That is not simple but he made it look so!
I prefer clip point to spear, the belly has a more everyday appeal but I tend to see straight cutting edges more with stag handles, well at least for sale. Love your example, the stag looks mega.
I was going to use my welder to add a mm or two to the kick but decided against, will try to hone the edge and see if clears.

I'm sure that Stan has passed on some of his knowledge, but sadly, he is the last of the old Sheffield factory cutlers who had a direct link to the hey day of manufacture in the city. Thanks for the kind words, that old stag takes some beating :) You can 'grow' the kick with a punch if you want to go down that route :thumbsup:

Thanks Ron, the Sheffield cutlers essentially sold the same simple knives for multiple purposes - leather knives, lino knives, pruning knives, etc ;) Here's a Leather Knife by Harrison Brothers & Howson, a little bigger than usual :thumbsup:

0VaKIjS.jpg

I have another Sheffield-made Lino Knife, which is just the same as one that appears in a rather notorious and bloody scene in the film Eastern Promises :eek:

Hawkbill blades were once available for Stanley utility knives :thumbsup:

I'm sure that Stan has passed on some of his knowledge, but sadly, he is the last of the old Sheffield factory cutlers who had a direct link to the hey day of manufacture in the city. Thanks for the kind words, that old stag takes some beating :) You can 'grow' the kick with a punch if you want to go down that route :thumbsup:
That's a Big 'Un Jack! Stanley still markets the fixed blade models. Very economically priced. :) :thumbsup:

Ron IS a class act!

I’ve come to realize that even though us gardeners think of hawkbills as pruners, most of them were marketed toward the building trades~ electricians, carpet layers, etc.
Thank you! Your too kind Jeff! ;)

Something entirely different today, hasn't been in my pocket in years. A gift from my late Battalion Commander, LTC Robert Grant, when I was the battalion S2/3. During a battalion staff meeting, back around 1990, he came in and showed us a Swiss Army Knife he had bought for himself - said he liked it so much he went back and bought one for each of us - guess he gave out half a dozen that evening! OH

Victorinox-Adventurer-Lockblade-1990.jpg

Ron IS a class act!

I’ve come to realize that even though us gardeners think of hawkbills as pruners, most of them were marketed toward the building trades~ electricians, carpet layers, etc.
I know for a fact that that is true Jeff !!!! My Dad was an Electric Lineman all his life , and he had a pruner hanging from his belt . I have both the Pruner and the belt and use neither of them .

Harry

(And I'm glad to see someone else who still uses a road atlas instead of some GPS machine. My wife and daughter always stick a GPS to the windshield and it drives me nuts not to have a "big picture" ...

- GT
I like to snag those state maps you can get in the interstate rest areas, too.
I think gps nav is handy for the first time trying to find an address in a strange town ~ after that they quite literally block my brain from navigating and actually learning a new area.

You know what’s fun? Make note of interesting terrain/geography, and later use google earth to see what it looks like in detail.

Holy Garbanzo Bean! Nice Cut co.

Today, I have my Eye Witness and Camillus barlow...View attachment 1465183

I like to snag those state maps you can get in the interstate rest areas, too.
I think gps nav is handy for the first time trying to find an address in a strange town ~ after that they quite literally block my brain from navigating and actually learning a new area.

You know what’s fun? Make note of interesting terrain/geography, and later use google earth to see what it looks like in detail.

Holy Garbanzo Bean! Nice Cut co.

Love the Tip Top !!! Great covers

That's a nice one Gev :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Ron IS a class act!

He sure is Jeff :) Yes, indeed, and also at cobblers and leather workers. Here's one which was intended for cutting mining belts :thumbsup:

NKjoENt.jpg

That's a Big 'Un Jack! Stanley still markets the fixed blade models. Very economically priced. :) :thumbsup:

I think it's the biggest I have Ron. I should add that I don't usually collect these knives, but I come across quite a lot of them, and buy the odd one :thumbsup: Do they really Ron, with a Hawkbill blade? I was actually referring to the Box-cutter blades, which were available in a Hawkbill shape :thumbsup:

I know for a fact that that is true Jeff !!!! My Dad was an Electric Lineman all his life , and he had a pruner hanging from his belt . I have both the Pruner and the belt and use neither of them .

Harry

Here's a Linesman's Knife Joseph Rodgers made for the General Post Office (and later British Telecom) here Harry :thumbsup:

9YOKeUr.jpg

I'm with you on the maps, GPS, and Google Earth Jeff :) Great-looking pair :thumbsup:

Back