What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Beautiful ebony on both of those and a fantastic photo
Thank you, Dean. :)

img_9098-jpg.1467121
That's amazing!
That would make for a really fun walk. :cool::thumbsup:

My "premium" canoe this week is a Colt stag model:
stag.canoe.mark.open.jpg

"Budget" canoe this week is a Rough Rider gunstock checkered bone model (thanks, Will):
canoe.checked.mark.open.jpg

"Regular" stockman this week is actually a 4-blade Rough Rider large model (thanks, Barrett, for the knife and other tools pictured):
stock.4blade.gifts.jpg

Sowbelly stockman this week is a "black stag" Colt (actually stag bone):
sowbelly.mark.closed.deck.jpg

- GT

I have these three with me today - all similarly jigged and all very well made. The Lambsfoot was the 2019 KOTY for me and is arguably one of the best knives that GEC has ever produced (obviously, that is my opinion). The M&G is the finest knife that GEC has produced so far this year (again, 'tis only my opinion) and the Conductor is a neat little knife that I have not taken the time to fully appreciate yet.

Asa8EZm.jpg

I actually carried these yesterday and today : The Northfield is a 610211 Serial # 20 and the old knife is a Horn Covered Schmachtenberg Bros. from Solingen 1887 -- 1939 which I watched for 6 months in an Antique Mall .

The Stamping on the Schmachtenberg blade is an AXE . I have never sharpened it but it came to me pretty sharp . The Horn Covers may have shrunk just a little . The Liners are Brass and the Blades are carbon . The Northfield is one that I had wanted for a while , because of the UNXLD stamping on all 4 Bolsters , and I got it off of the Exchange for a very good price . It is One of 35 Serialized pieces and the Serial # is also on the Coping Blade . It also has Steel Liners .

Harry

Two equal ends today, Boker Magnum scout and Churchill. Put the Churchill sheep foot blade to use today in the shop after work, cutting leather.
Making 8 plains style arrow quivers as Christmas gifts, 4 for my son in laws and 4 for grandkids.
View attachment 1467210 View attachment 1467211
Nice pair of working knives Greg . I would hope that you will post pictures of your process on the Quivers my friend .

Harry

Taylor-Schrade 93OT Wrangler has been in my pocket most of the week.
Sheepsfoot and clip blade in a jack configuration, and hits my sweet spot of 3 1/2 inches closed length.
The steel is 7Cr, so roughly 440A. Suitable for so many grubby daily chores.

If I remember correctly, this particular clip shape falls into the category of a "California Clip": long, somewhat narrow, and the clip starts almost at the tang.

HTqmmbE.jpg

I carried this old friend on another hike today. Note the festive decorations on the trail.

View attachment 1467120 View attachment 1467121 View attachment 1467122 View attachment 1467124
That old Schrade bone certainly has an Old Friend look to it:thumbsup:
I actually carried these yesterday and today : The Northfield is a 610211 Serial # 20 and the old knife is a Horn Covered Schmachtenberg Bros. from Solingen 1887 -- 1939 which I watched for 6 months in an Antique Mall .

The Stamping on the Schmachtenberg blade is an AXE . I have never sharpened it but it came to me pretty sharp . The Horn Covers may have shrunk just a little . The Liners are Brass and the Blades are carbon . The Northfield is one that I had wanted for a while , because of the UNXLD stamping on all 4 Bolsters , and I got it off of the Exchange for a very good price . It is One of 35 Serialized pieces and the Serial # is also on the Coping Blade . It also has Steel Liners .

Harry
Wonderful old horn knife, Harry.
I hope you didn’t beat up the proprietor too badly. :D

Back