What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

5K Qs 5K Qs
Thanks GT, so far I'm really liking the half hawk. Only thing I didn't like was I couldn't find a smooth tobacco bone with the acorn shield lol. Well I also wanted to change the jigging it had really uniform jigging and I changed that with my trusty dremel ;).
I guess in a way the "Coal Miner" edition is a reminder of home,I originate from the coal fields of Virginia. My grandfather and my mom's brothers all were miners, though I've not worked in the mines I did work in the industry for awhile :thumbsup:

Cookie carry
20210110-134945.jpg

OK, now that is a super cool camp knife, Charlie. :thumbsup: Is that on a 53 or 54 frame? and what is the 'chicken little' shield all about? Bone, bail, bolsters and blades and shield all go so well together, probably the most handsome camp knife I've seen. IMO :)
That's a #98 pattern, Greg!! Over 4 3/4' long!
GEC has only run that pattern once - it's indeed a handful of beautiful knife!:eek:! Hard to find, I have heard!!:rolleyes:

Hope everyone has made it through another week unscathed :rolleyes: Carrying this re-covered Lambsfoot today (@jsdistin did a fantastic job), along with an Old Friend by Carl Schlieper :) :thumbsup:
Couple of gallant folders, Jack! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Otter Messer 169 and Buck 303...
Notable pair! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Superior knife :cool::thumbsup::cool:, but what is that "golden wall" in the background??

The Lone Star of Texas meets the White Rose of Yorkshire! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

You’re welcome~ glad it still sings with authority.
Guitar lore/trivia~
Vibrato is pitch modulaton, tremolo is amplitude or volume modulation.
The bar you see on a lot of guitars, aka: whammy bar, wiggles the bridge, causing a change it pitch, so it is a vibrato. The effect found on a lot of amps uses a photovoltaic cell to change the voltage to the tubes, causing volume modulation. So that is tremolo.
Leo Fender reversed his definitions, labeling guitar whammy bars as tremolos, and amp trems as vibrato. This has caused confusion for decades.
File that away with other stuff you didn’t need to know.:rolleyes::D
This vibrato/tremolo stuff was pretty interesting to me, Jeff; thanks! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Our daughter played violin from about age 4 through college, and I was the practice supervisor until high school, at least. I remember the quest for vibrato for several months in there somewhere! :rolleyes: I think on violin it came from jiggling fingers on the neck (can't call it a fret board, I suppose), rather than wiggling the bridge.

NEW!! Another sweet deal from @TexasTomcat. @Old Engineer, these things are sweet. First knife in Osage! Love the #29 pattern why did I pass on these in 2019!?
dmlRnF8.jpg
Congrats, Taylor! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I don't own any osage orange myself, but I sure admire how it looks on other folks' knives; looking forward to yours as it ages.

Toting these two to aid in me in a little precision project I cooked up. :)
Nice pair of knives, JJ, but you've got me curious about the nature of the "precision project!" :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Paul, your new slip is very photogenic, like your knives! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Have a great weekend folks :thumbsup:

iK0msw7.jpg

04t8m1c.jpg
That jigged bone WCLF and the stag knife make a striking pair, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::cool: (Is that the Abbeydale Jack?)

Saturday. No Schrades or stags ~ felt like the same two Cases.
Samurday.
View attachment 1487947 View attachment 1487948 I’d prefer a little coping blade instead of the pen on this whittler.
:D:thumbsup:

Great knives, especially that swayback, Case’s chestnut bone is beautiful!
That's a beautiful knife, GT. :cool::thumbsup:
That's a beautiful knife!
Terrific trio Gary :) :thumbsup:
Thanks for the good words, @bigfish64 & John & M Marlingspike12 & Jack. :)

Toting a couple of Camillus BSA Scouts for Saturday. :)
I really like that pair, JJ, Scout's honor! :cool:;):cool:

Excellent trio, Gary! :thumbsup::thumbsup: The yellow slimline is luminous.
Thanks, Dean. :) And "luminous" is a perfect description of the following photo with your Buck 503! :cool::thumbsup::cool: (Does the 503 have a "regal" name like some of the Buck 500 series do: Knight, Prince, Duke, etc.?)

It's an odds and ends project day today. Have the Vic Florist knife. I'd say that, "It's been pulling its weight.", But that would not be giving it enough credit because it weighs so little.

4y1GbOE.jpg
That's a fine pair of Vics, Frank; I'm a big fan of both Florist and Pocket Pal. :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I carry in my pocket this little Case Peanut, in stag.;):thumbsup:
... ...
Exemplary stag Peanut, José! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you kindly Gary, they could have very easily been my KOTY 2019 and 2020, had my pocket-hogging Hartshead Barlow not got in the way :)

Sounds delicious, you're making me hungry buddy, I might have to go and look for some lunch ;) :thumbsup:

Edit - Smoked ham and cheese with sweet peppadews, on sourdough ;) Should keep me going :D :thumbsup:

42Q5SHw.jpg
Did that sandwich taste as good as it looks? ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you!

Exciting day for us; we’re going inland to visit my folks and take a BBQ lunch - haven’t seen them since before Christmas (they have been quarantined while my brother worked through COVID19 - he’s over it now). Late afternoon we’ll leave my folks for a drive about 30 miles east to welcome my daughter and son-in-law to their new home on the Pamlico River (they will be an hour and a half north of us, much closer than the 6 hours plus it takes now to visit them). They are driving a U-Haul box truck from the mountains today carrying all of their furniture and possessions. OH
Ps going to carry the stag Case Mini-Copperlock my Dad gave me last summer.
Case-51749-LSS-Mini-Copperlock-2000.jpg
Hope you enjoy the family interactions, Bruce! Good to see that stag mini copper lock again. :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Taking a Loveseat and area rug to my daughter today for her apartment. Whenever I do things like this I remember I'm not as young as I used to be.

Got this guy in my pocket though so I got that going for me, which is nice.:cool:
l8shwlO.jpg
Handsome knife :cool::cool::thumbsup:, and hilarious reference! :D
Hope your daughter gives you a little something for the effort!

Yesterday was frustrating for us Seahawks fans. :(
Sorry to hear that the Seahawks got knocked out, John. I found out yesterday that my neighbors are big Seahawk fans; they've lived next to us for 4-5 years now, and I hadn't known that. :oops:

Now THAT'S a knife, Mike; I'd vote for that Presidential in every election! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

This Copperlock is a daily user and it's starting to show.

Y6pvpRh.jpg
The blue bone and red shield catches my attention, despite some usage! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks Gary, the pen came as a clip on the older models:thumbsup:
Thanks, Paul; I should have thought of that possibility! :rolleyes:

Haha! Thank you. My homemade sheath is pretty ugly, I think, but it hangs just right in the pocket and I'm happy the Baby Kephart fits so well.
oxmDO6N.jpg
We obviously have different pulchritude parameters! :eek: I think the sheath looks great with its clean lines and what I consider illustrious stitching! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

5K Qs 5K Qs Thanks Gary and I really like your colt Muskrat !
Thanks, Steve. :)

First post on BF! I’ve been carrying a Northwoods Hawthorne Jack in burlap micarta a bunch lately. It sits snug in a Grommet’s Leathercraft slip.
Welcome to The Porch. :):thumbsup:

- GT

Thanks, Jack. :)
The book under your HHB looks very interesting! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

It was a Christmas present Gary :) A bit of a 'coffee table book', but there are some interesting projects :thumbsup:

Lambsfoot this week is Lam Jack, the 2017 Guardians horn lambsfoot (thanks, @mrknife ):
View attachment 1488686

That's a great pic of your Lam Jack, and a very nice watch too :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack!!!

Certainly a pair of Waynorth aces you're sporting today; outstanding!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Slipped this old friend into my pocket today. :)

Thanks a lot buddy, what a choice Sunday carry, beautiful bone :) :thumbsup:

5K Qs 5K Qs
Thanks GT, so far I'm really liking the half hawk. Only thing I didn't like was I couldn't find a smooth tobacco bone with the acorn shield lol. Well I also wanted to change the jigging it had really uniform jigging and I changed that with my trusty dremel ;).
I guess in a way the "Coal Miner" edition is a reminder of home,I originate from the coal fields of Virginia. My grandfather and my mom's brothers all were miners, though I've not worked in the mines I did work in the industry for awhile :thumbsup:

I think I bought 3 of the ones with the acorn shield and smooth tobacco bone, but gave them all away, thinking I could get another. I do have a couple of the Coal Miners though :) :thumbsup:

Couple of gallant folders, Jack! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

The Lone Star of Texas meets the White Rose of Yorkshire! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

You're very kind amigo :) :thumbsup:

LOL! :D :thumbsup:

That jigged bone WCLF and the stag knife make a striking pair, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::cool: (Is that the Abbeydale Jack?)

Did that sandwich taste as good as it looks? ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you GT :) It IS the Abbeydale Jack, thank you for noticing my friend :) :thumbsup:

The sandwich was very tasty, but so filling I had to respectfully decline the offer of chilli from my neighbour several hours later :eek:

Wishing everyone a safe and happy week :thumbsup: I'm starting mine off with my Hartshead Barlow and a Metal Monday Penknife by Needham Brothers :thumbsup:

O17Lxvm.jpg

MgLBZaa.jpg

Back