What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

gptfTjy.jpg

This Opinel looks great! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: How did you do it?
Wow, I guess I haven’t been on the forum in a bit. Just saw this notification. Lol
I used a dreamer with a 60 grit sanding disc for the majority of the shaping, then a 120, then a 240, then rubbed it with 400 grit and finished it with 2,000 grit. Then I finished it with BLO and did the standard mustard patina on the blade , although it didn’t take as well of that side of the blade as I’d started a patina already eating quite a few apples).

Went on a prairie walk today with my dogs, carried a fantastic gift from Greg, aka Sunknife:thumbsup: he gifted me two Russell Green River fixed blades that came as kits and he put Osage on one and Black Locust on the other as well as a excellent handmade sheath:thumbsup: I'll show post more pic's in the near future.

Carried the Russell Green River fixed blade with my Ancient 2.0 TC today:thumbsup: Thanks Greg:thumbsup::)
949Vvi.jpg

Went on a prairie walk today with my dogs, carried a fantastic gift from Greg, aka Sunknife:thumbsup: he gifted me two Russell Green River fixed blades that came as kits and he put Osage on one and Black Locust on the other as well as a excellent handmade sheath:thumbsup: I'll show post more pic's in the near future.

Carried the Russell Green River fixed blade with my Ancient 2.0 TC today:thumbsup: Thanks Greg:thumbsup::)
949Vvi.jpg
Congrats my friend . Very nice gifts from a very generous guy who has a certain artistic style of decorating knife handles and slips that I certainly admire . Carry them in good health my friend . Very nice photo I might add .

Harry

They may not be as good looking as a lot of the knives that get posted here, but there's not much else that is as practical as a SAK for someone at home doing dad duty. I've already used the corkscrew to untie a stubborn knot, the screwdriver to tighten a screw on a toy, and the blade to slice some snacks.
2DCnyPF.jpg
Before the pandemic, I volunteered in our church nursery 1 or 2 Sundays per month, and always had a SAK with me. It was useful many times for the variety of tasks you mention, as well as replacing batteries in parent pagers, and just being an attention-grabber for an unhappy kid! :thumbsup::cool:

Smooth! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

New to me Crucible Knife Co New York. Strong springs on this one.
I started the day with my Scratted TC Barlow, but then a package arrived and I added another TC to the mix. Old friend and new below.

View attachment 1491402 View attachment 1491403
Picked this up the other day. First production none collab knife I’ve gotten in awhile. Man this thing is sweet. Assembled perfectly also. The half stops and threading set it off just perfectly. The color is awesome. I’m tickled. Straight into the pocket she goes.
View attachment 1491428
New to me Buck 301 and a Challenge Cutco
A new-to-me Old Timer 33OT. @Old Hunter posted his previously, and then JohnDF JohnDF commented how much he liked his. Then I noticed that the pen blade sits in front of the clip so both nicks are on the same side and well...I "had" to have one. First time in the pocket today.
Congrats on the new knives, guys! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Les, that Crucible jack looks solid, with handsome bone.
Dean, your new TC Barlow has bone that reminds me a little of the old clip/pen Antique Amber Sawcut Bone TC Barlow (which is the only one that happens to give me little heart palpitations :rolleyes:).
Joey, those lined bolsters are fantastic.
Steve, your new Buck 301 is timeless.
Michael, your Middleman Jack is a classic.

Striking photo! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: (I have no idea how to make a pic like that, with color foreground and B&W background. :eek:)

Put a couple of old pens from Robeson and Crucible in my pocket today. :)
Sensational pair of pens, JJ! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

I carry this Portuguese Veríssimo-Miranda do Douro in stag, in my pocket today.;):thumbsup:
... ...
All four are spectacular, José, especially the top and bottom knives with the little man on the blade! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

View attachment 1491593 View attachment 1491592
I am going back to the 70’s with one of my all time favorite knives. It’s a six dot Case XX USA Canoe with pretty bone and the best etch ever. ...
You have great taste, LT! ;):cool::cool: I have a 1975 model of that canoe, and I think it is the only knife I own that I haven't been able to bring myself to use (so far).

Really neat looking handles.
They should call it Lava Bone. :cool::thumbsup:
Thanks, John. :) I have another just like it except with autumn brown pick bone (or something like that). I'm very pleased with both of those Chinese Klaas knives.

I don't usually like etches on my blades, but I love that one. I bought a Case canoe last year, but haven't carried it much. Gonna tote it this weekend.
D0OpjoB.jpg
Great knife, but be careful, Vince! :cool::thumbsup::cool: The first canoe I ever bought was scheduled to get a 1-week tryout, and the next thing I knew, I had to force myself to give another knife a turn a month later! :eek: Didn't take much to turn me into a canoesseur.

I always liked the etch on that Canoe. I had one that I gifted to an old Air Force buddy of mine on his 70th birthday.
Great gift, Gary; you're a good buddy! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: May I show your post to my wife periodically throughout the coming year? My next birthday will be my 70th, and I'm not above using some blatant hints. :rolleyes:

Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend :) Issard Violon with my Hartshead Barlow today :thumbsup:
Thanks for the Stag-o-Rama, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Notable pair, Jeff! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: 50 or 60 years ago, we'd have said that even the smooth one was groovy! :D

Always nice to see LamBar get his time in the pocket. :cool::thumbsup:
Gary, yours is the second Hartshead Barlow (aka LamBarJack) I've seen today. Beautiful wood on yours.
Very cool threesome Gary; your LamBarJack is especially appealing!:cool::D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks, John & Dean & JJ. :) I don't usually consider myself a Barlow fan, but I'm sure a fan of the rosewood HHB!

Some GEC Stag for Saturday...
Useful pair, John! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I'm enjoying your thread on medium jacks; how do you like your 33 penknife compared to your Case medium jack?

- GT

Busy day for me yesterday and never posted my pic of yesterdays pairing, a 2008 #54 Harness Jack and an older KeenKutter jack.
For today I selected a Boker Club Knife and a Tidioute #29 Stockyard Whittler to pocket. Have a great weekend porch folk.:)
View attachment 1492009 View attachment 1492010
Quality quartet, Greg! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Today the Keen Kutter is my favorite (and I really like that Airstream trailer cut-out, whatever it's for).

It's an #18, with a full clip blade.
Thanks for the ID, John. :) I'd say that's my favorite Case medium stockman (unless you call the x347 a medium - then I might have to flip a coin).

I'm carrying my Ulster Barlow (aka Number 10).

View attachment 1492045
Vibrant vintage Barlow, Dean, and a massive knot! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Thank you! Yep, it's a well worn pen blade.
Thanks for the confirmation. :)

Catching up on some reading today
Your red Alox old cross SAK is first-rate! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks, Gary! My Grandpa carried an identical knife. I have it now, but the secondary’s spring is broken, and it’s retired in honor. I casually looked for one for years until I saw this carryable version of Grandpa’s knife. Here it is with his ancient Speingfield double:

View attachment 1492225
That you have your grandfather's old knife, and a substitute to carry is wonderful, Jeff! :thumbsup::thumbsup::)

I put these two Swiss totes in my pocket today. :)
Notable pairs you've posted, José and JJ! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Queen Rail Splitter
h5RCrTu.jpg
Splendid knife, Frank! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I have to learn the relationships among rail splitters, cattle knives, and stockman knives.

Hoffritz tang stamp (70's) small Tinker and Charlie's latest:thumbsup:
HdKhhd.jpg
Congrats on your new TC Barlow, Paul! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I like that ritzy Tinker, too. ;)

Twins are nice - and they play well together.
View attachment 1492399
Are those REAL? Is this a dream? :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Beautiful trio, Gary.;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thank you, José. :)

Three good 'uns there Gary :) :thumbsup:
Wishing everyone a peaceful and pleasant Sunday :) I'm going posh! :D ;) :thumbsup:
3X6zvKA.jpg

L7rlb6B.jpg
Very nice knives Jack. I think that my "Black Jack" is right up there with my HHB as far as my favorite knives are concerned.
View attachment 1492582 View attachment 1492583
Thanks, Jack. :)
Enviable pairs of knives the two of you are carrying, Jack and Bill! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

Quality quartet, Greg! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Today the Keen Kutter is my favorite (and I really like that Airstream trailer cut-out, whatever it's for).
- GT

Thanks, Gary. I gotta agree on the KeenKutter, sure wish today's knife makers could replicate that jigging on bone.:thumbsup:

Reactions: AnW
Back