What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

wz3koyU.jpg

Like those 93s a rugged but attractive carry. Decent extra strong coffee is always welcome, can't stand it weak, nor tea, nor drink ;):cool:
The favorite of the limited number of patterns I own.

Agreed on the coffee. After making submarine strength coffee for my in-laws during one of my first visits I was encouraged to stick to being a coffee drinker and not a brewer at their house.

It was off to our local hospital this morning for the first COVID-19 vaccination shot for Cindy and I and then on to the Wagon Wheel Cafe for lunch. This Case 6318 Amber Bone Stockman kept me company.

oPCN8YH.jpg

I carried such a fancy knife so that if I croaked from a reaction to the COVID-19 shot at least the Coroner would be impressed with my pocket jewelry. Got to talking to one of the Wagon Wheel Cafe patrons who shoes horses for a living and who had just participated in a virtual cattle auction where twenty-five hundred head of Black Angus cattle had been sold and earmarked for Mac Donalds. Stopped at the 4-Corners market on the way home for ice and called it a day when we got home. Nothing to do now but wait for the snow projected to fall tonight and over the week end.

I'm not typically a New Year's Resolutions guy, but this year I made several. The nice thing is I've been keeping them all for 3 weeks. :thumbsup::thumbsup: The nasty thing is that doing so cuts into my discretionary time, so I've been spending less time in some of my favorite Porch threads. :(:thumbsdown: Here's a half-hearted attempt to catch up in this thread.

Three good 'uns there Gary :) :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack. :)

Wow, I guess I haven’t been on the forum in a bit. Just saw this notification. Lol
I used a dreamer with a 60 grit sanding disc for the majority of the shaping, then a 120, then a 240, then rubbed it with 400 grit and finished it with 2,000 grit. Then I finished it with BLO and did the standard mustard patina on the blade , although it didn’t take as well of that side of the blade as I’d started a patina already eating quite a few apples).
Thanks for the details. It's undoubtedly another one of those things that for me is easier said than done! :rolleyes::thumbsup:

Completely different knives.
I like them both and the #33 was my KOTY.
But, I like Jacks the best, really not sure why?
Thanks for sharing your opinion, John. :)
I like pen knife set-up better than jack set-up, and I'm not sure why either. :rolleyes:

Thanks Gary, I was fortunate to have a friend help me with the TC, and the Ritz is a re-store for me as it came to me in a bad way. I like putting a knife back into service:)
I can understand that, Paul. I got back into pocket knives almost exactly 7 years ago when my wife found an old jack she'd got from her dad and put it at my spot by the kitchen table. I spent part of an afternoon cleaning it up and decided I'd start carrying a knife again like I had as a kid back on the farm. I also decided I'd start looking around for old knives that needed a little TLC. I was surprised how few old users I've been able to find in person. I've bought far more new knives than I intended to! :eek::D

Thanks, Gary. But a weekend tryout is enough. I love the way the canoe looks, but we just don't "click," like I do with trappers and stockmans. I really dig clip blades: trappers, stockmans, Laguioles, and Opinels especially. Opinel in my pocket now; stockman in the morning, probably.
No accounting for tastes, Vince, and we happen to have different tastes! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
I've never really clicked with trappers, and clip point blades aren't even in my top four favorite blade shapes.

Glad to help, Gary!
:thumbsup:;):thumbsup:

Hope everyone had a good weekend :) I'm starting my week with a Unity Lambsfoot and an Ibberson Burma Knife :thumbsup:
Vivacious vintage knives, Jack, and interesting "background literature"! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thank you, Gary; all I can say about that knot is that I did not tie it.
:):thumbsup:
I'm carrying my Case Texas Jack today.

View attachment 1493325
I've seen a lot of those iconic knives lately; yours is grand! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I sure wish Case offered that specific pen blade on a round-bolstered pattern. I may have to overcome my bias against square-bolstered knives just to satisfy my curiosity about that unique pen blade.;)

It took me a long time to really get why people seemed to like SAKs so much. I had always seen them as mediocre for a few simple tasks, but not much else. I'm glad I gave them a chance, because they save a lot of trips to the tool box. I must admit though that I felt a bit better when I switched back to my stockman.
And speaking of my stockman, it's in my pocket again today.
iYLDIOw.jpg
To avoid having to switch back, I just make sure I always carry both a stockman AND a SAK. :D:thumbsup:

A French knife made in China bought in Spain, that knife certainly is international :D:thumbsup:
And I'm so glad it's livin' in the USA! :thumbsup::thumbsup::p

Carrying this today. 'Found' it yesterday in...a Rough Rider box :eek::D this is what happens when you have to move house, knife collection gets turned upside down ;)

GEC 25 Drop-Point in Sambar

fQDyJiR.jpg
That's a happy discovery, Will! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

I'm carrying this most excellent double-ended jack today, CSC Mexican Bocote BladeForums knife of 2015.

View attachment 1494484
Immaculate, Dean! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Camillus 61 Old Smoothie 4 in. closed
49866392533_d779bbe7e3_b.jpg
My, Grandma, what BIG (birds)eyes you have!! :p:thumbsup::thumbsup:

That sheepfooted Vic looks downright useful! :thumbsup:
Thanks; it's a really nice knife. :) Here's a thread with enthusiasts singing its praises:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/victorinox-florist-knife.1698936/

Toting these two juniper covered slicers from France. :)
Be still, my beating heart (and cross, and anchor)! :thumbsup:;):thumbsup:
Phenomenal pair, JJ!

Quality quartet Gary :) :thumbsup:

Miserable weather here in Yorkshire this week o_O Thought I'd have a Fancy Thursday :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

fmf7snM.jpg

aGk0Qhi.jpg
Thanks, Jack. :)
That IS a fancy pair for a wintry day! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

View attachment 1495002 I call this 204 and 804 on Redwings.
I like both knives and I really like the 2-tone boot laces, Jeff! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

You are ready for the apocalypse. :D
No doubt! :D Here's a shot of the secondary blade with words to live by:
canoe.zombie.mark.secopen.jpg

More of my carries this week:
Watchpocket knife is a Rough Rider copper pen knife:
pen.pile.Vspey.bridge.jpg

Miscellaneous knife is a RR medium trapper:
med.trap.open.jpg

Big knife is an Imperial clip/pen toothpick like one Grandpa used to carry (thanks, Dave):
toothpick.dock1.jpg

- GT

Be still, my beating heart (and cross, and anchor)! :thumbsup:;):thumbsup:
Phenomenal pair, JJ!
Thanks a lot Gary!!!
No doubt! :D Here's a shot of the secondary blade with words to live by:
canoe-zombie-mark-secopen-jpg.1495440

More of my carries this week:
Watchpocket knife is a Rough Rider copper pen knife:
pen-pile-vspey-bridge-jpg.1495443

Miscellaneous knife is a RR medium trapper:
med-trap-open-jpg.1495445

Big knife is an Imperial clip/pen toothpick like one Grandpa used to carry (thanks, Dave):
toothpick-dock1-jpg.1495446
Fab four you have today, from the humorous to the sublime; I've got a real soft spot for the old Imperials, too!:rolleyes::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back