What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

My usual 93 today.

G11iro4.jpg

Old Cattaraugus electricians knife
mHVWysT.jpg
Very cool! Never seen a Klein marked Catt. And Klein & Son still sell electrician pattern knives, too bad they’re not still made by Catt.
Very strange case of burglary. The thief stole half of the victim’s eggs, but left a nice little Case knife.

When Victorinox first used a smaller version of that blade on one of their first locking models, the 'Hunter', it was designated as a gutting blade. I was sent one by Victorinox to review in 1991 or '92, and was very impressed by the gutting blade (and with the knife in general), and in my 3 page article on the knife, published in July '92, I suggested it would make a great basis for an 'Emergency Release Knife'. I passed on my thoughts to Victorinox, and Buck also took an interest in the idea, which I explored further in a subsequent article. Never heard anything back officially from Victorinox, but when they subsequently launched a Rescue Knife, they quoted more or less verbatim from part of my article. You'll also notice the reference to inset panels :rolleyes:

AHDmhEK.jpg

XeJG4sS.jpg
Nice write-up, Jack! Naturally, Vic did not credit you with the rescue knife idea. Paying royalties hurts the bottom line.

I once commented that an identical gutting blade, albeit non-serrated, would make a good draw knife for woodworking in tight quarters. I was specifically thinking about a luthier shaping a guitar neck.
I like your comment on the saw. This one is just big enough to actually use in real life. Just two days ago, I had to repair a short section of fence, which included getting some 1/2” to 1 1/2” branches out of the way, and the Wenger on my belt worked very well.
Cheers!CE380066-FCA5-42DF-8241-8000876D2ACD.jpeg

I just realized I’ve had my new Cadet in my pocket every day for exactly one month (since Christmas morning.) I’ve always carried just one knife at a time, but now it’s one knife at a time plus the Cadet. I have a feeling it’s going to be a permanent arrangement.
C4IQfdh.jpg

Back