What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

It's cool that you're setting aside knives for your kids, Tony. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: What made you go with the Field Master? I haven't picked one up yet, but as a theoretical exercise, I once analyzed all the SAK models and concluded the Field Master was optimal for me. :)

Thanks Gary! The Field Master was a gift from my then girlfriend-now-wife thirty years ago! She knew I’d prefer the saw and didn’t need the corkscrew!

View attachment 1514098 View attachment 1514095 View attachment 1514096

Our remote camera snapped a photograph of this curious doe a few weeks ago. Looks like the camera was not as well hidden as I thought!

Have a Blessed Sunday everyone.

Totin’ my favorite 86 version today. GEC made them for Percy Richardson and Lone Star Knives. Percy had some beautiful designs over the years, many of them with wood from famous battleships. Part of the profits went to support museums honoring the ships.

Yes, bigfish64 bigfish64 , it is a single blade. That is why I like it so much. They also made a few single blades for Charlie @waynorth which were the best of all, but I could not get one of those. The Northwoods version was also a single blade.

Last edited:
View attachment 1514098 View attachment 1514095 View attachment 1514096

A remote camera snapped a photograph of this curious doe a few weeks ago. Looks like the camera was not as well hidden as I thought!

Have a Blessed Sunday everyone.

Totin’ my favorite 86 version today. GEC made them for Percy Richardson and Lone Star Knives. Percy had some beautiful designs over the years, many of them with wood from famous battleships. Part of the profits went to support museums honoring the ships.
Wow! A beautiful knife.

View attachment 1514095 View attachment 1514096
That is a beautiful knife, :thumbsup: forgive my ignorance but did that come as a single blade?

My grandma passed away August 22, at the age of 90. Today would have been her 91st birthday. I'm going to be thinking about her today as I carry this Boker she gave me about 15 years ago that was her father's. I'm not sure the age of it, but it has been around a while. It was only fitting to pose it with the Christmas cactus she started for me that is off her mother's. That plant is still alive over 100 years later. She was a great example of a Godly, loving Grandmother. Thankful I had her for 34 years. I hope everyone has a great Sunday!

6hTPmqT.jpg

After seeming endless days of Pacific Northwest weather in coastal Virginia, I was finally able to take my boys out to Fort Story for a (cold) walk around the beach. Carried this new to me 74. If you squint your eyes just right you'll find the destroyer we saw heading to sea while we were there. Not quite a Rose and Thistle Custom Rose and Thistle Custom quality picture, but it was what I was able to do.

oHN718H.jpg
Great picture, the Virginia coast is a lot more hospitable than the Oregon coast which usually translates as less photogenic. I miss Virginia, spent about a year between Hampton and Charlottesville, longest stay anywhere out of Alaska and Oregon for me.
20210218_172912_copy_1512x1512.jpg

My grandma passed away August 22, at the age of 90. Today would have been her 91st birthday. I'm going to be thinking about her today as I carry this Boker she gave me about 15 years ago that was her father's. I'm not sure the age of it, but it has been around a while. It was only fitting to pose it with the Christmas cactus she started for me that is off her mother's. That plant is still alive over 100 years later. She was a great example of a Godly, loving Grandmother. Thankful I had her for 34 years. I hope everyone has a great Sunday!

6hTPmqT.jpg
Sorry for your loss, that’s a great tribute to your grandma, and it’s a beautiful knife!

Thanks—really loving this knife. The size suits my hands. As for the edge, I’m the second owner, but it seemed unused. The edge seemed serviceable upon inspection, but I decided to touch it up on a Spyderco “double stuff” stone. After that, it would whisper cleanly through receipt paper. I’ll eventually use a fine diamond stone, then finish with a ceramic one, but for now it’s good. With curls like that it’s a combination of a fine edge, the right geometry, and a little technique.
Thanks for the informative reply. :)

Humble Case Peanut SS in pocket worn Harvest Orange jigged bone today...

View attachment 1513349

-Brett
That's a handsome, rich example of how good Harvest Orange can be! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Camillus #16 and a Boker Cattle Junior

QumF6Ku.jpg
Superb pair, Steve! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I'm always impressed with your lighting in winter. Do you manage to find sunshine most days, or have you got an artificial light shining?

Cleaning the garage this morning, and snapped a quick pic of this oldie... it lives in my tool cabinet.
De8pt8nl.jpg
Cool scout, Tony! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I got one like that at an antique store almost exactly a year ago (3/7/20) on a Saturday; coronavirus hit the fan the following week, and I credit the Kamp King with helping me survive the massive changes that occurred in the week following my purchase! :rolleyes:

An older picture but this one today.
Peerless pen knife, Les! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

:cool:

Oh come on Gary! Saber grinds are great! They are perfect for spreading all sorts of the finest delectables. Butter, peanut butter, apple butter, almond butter, sour cream, cheese whiz, brie, caramel, salted caramel, etc.

As a good southern man, I enjoy a good buttermilk biscuit. The saber grind is quite efficient for the spreading of grape, strawberry, blackberry, fig, apple, apricot, and muscadine jellies. However you may want something a bit thinner behind the edge to get good separation on your biscuit hemispheres.

The Trestle Pine is of course one of the finest spreading saber grinds out there but nothing quite spreads like a Northwoods. I suggest anyone that hasn’t experienced the spreading power of a saber grind with the heat treat scale still intact, flock to eBay with a five hundred dollar bill ready to burn ASAP. :cool:;):)

Thanks as always for your kind words GT!!!
Jon, you're a persuasive proponent of the "saber grind gospel"! :D:cool::cool:

Thanks. Both blades are sharpened to 17 degrees per side. The only chisel grind is on the round cutout (serration?) of the sheepsfoot. The primary grind is a bit asymmetrical too I guess.
Thanks for the info. :) I was convinced that the sheepsfoot on my Electrician was a chisel grind, but I checked it and it's not. :oops: Must have been thinking of the sheepsfoot on my Vic Gardener.

Spooky! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

Thanks buddy, I should really carry it more :) Too many knives, not enough pockets! :D ;) :thumbsup:

Thank you, I've been making myself another walking staff these past few days, and really enjoying giving my knives more use than they generally get these days :) :thumbsup:
Yeah, the older I get, the scarier life is! :p
Maybe you need to "layer" your vests to provide more pockets! :thumbsup::thumbsup::D
Certainly seems true for me that my favorite knives are the ones I'm actually using. I've got several tree branches drying in the garage with the hope that I'll turn them into walking sticks, but I'm not even sure what style I want. Almost all of my branches would become canes rather than shoulder/head high staffs (staves?).

Taking these two stag covered slicers from Germany out for a spin. :)
Quite a pack of bulldogs on your stag 5-blader! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

That's a pleasing pruner, José! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

These two got all the handy work done today.

Proficient pair, Jon, and primo photo! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thank you, Gary. :thumbsup: Those arrowheads were acquired from a friend and talented flint knapper in Texas in a trade. I made him a osage bow and he sent
all those arrowheads plus two flint knives and two arrowhead beaded necklaces, one for me and one for my wife. I was blown away by his generosity and the quality of his work. My grandson has taken an interest in flintknapping and has gotten some instruction from a few of my friends at rendezvous.
Here's a pic of him from 2018 when he was 9 yrs old working some stone on one of our campouts. And a pic of an arrowhead he made the next year.
View attachment 1513817 View attachment 1513818
Thanks for the follow-up, Greg. :) Your grandson is doing some impressive work! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

View attachment 1513845 Once again, 500 miles from home in a hotel, and a bunch of pages behind here.
Returning my three grand daughters to their Mom after a nice week with them. We met in Kentucky, sparing me from having to drive all the way to Georgia.
I look forward to catching up with all your posts when I get home. For now, I’m zonking out.
Safe travels, Jeff! :):cool::cool:

I am of the same mind as you when it comes to Micarta. For years I never really warmed up to micarta on pocket knives. I preferred to see it on larger fixed blades. However, when Northwoods started using the blue denim Micarta I knew it was for me.

Yes, that is what Hens & Chicks looks like in the winter. I planted these in a natural crack in that rock over 10 years ago. Hopefully it will look like this again this spring.
ElZX10G.jpg
Thanks for the info about your "micarta journey" and the "flock of chickens" you've raised in that rock. :)

Elite edges, Joshua! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend :) Piano keys for me today ;) :thumbsup:

pVlToll.jpg

Sweet pair of keys, and thanks for the tune! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Indeed Gary it’s a #21 Cami, good eye!
Yes that case TB teardrop does bring smiles, regardless of its name lol!
Thank you
I happen to have a Camillus peanut like that, so I could recognize it. ;)
I also have a Winchester identical to your Sunday-go-to-meeting knife, so I could recognize that one, too (although I haven't memorized the model number :rolleyes:). :thumbsup::cool::cool:

- GT

Cool scout, Tony! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I got one like that at an antique store almost exactly a year ago (3/7/20) on a Saturday; coronavirus hit the fan the following week, and I credit the Kamp King with helping me survive the massive changes that occurred in the week following my purchase! :rolleyes:

cool story! Getting through this is the trick—getting out on the hiking trails or to the high desert has kept us going.

My Kamp King was actually given to my then 7 year old son by an older gent selling knives at a local knife show. My son was a Cub Scout and keen on camping and hiking, and the man decided to make my son’s day. Now he’s 11 and hikes/ does outdoor activities with me regularly. These days he’ll use the knife to cut veggies for his feeder insects, which eventually get fed to his Bearded Dragon and Leopard Gecko. That’s his way of making it through this.

Back