What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Getting the grill ready for steaks with my most used blade--the Dave Beck Forager. Curls to light, with sparks off a ferro rod.

bXPinCUl.jpg

00xzELvl.jpg

I almost forgot to post the last 3 knives from this past week's carry (a new group rotates in tomorrow for the week ahead).
Peanut-like knife since last Monday has been a Case CV chestnut jigged bone Peanut:
chestnut.mark.open.jpg

Stag/Horn Knife of the Week has been a buffalo horn GEC #85 (thanks, Paul):
EO85.mark.2open.jpg

Lambsfoot of the Week has been Black Jack, my Jack Black SFO 2018 Guardians ebony lambsfoot:
BJ.kitchensill.jpg

- GT

I almost forgot to post the last 3 knives from this past week's carry (a new group rotates in tomorrow for the week ahead).
Peanut-like knife since last Monday has been a Case CV chestnut jigged bone Peanut:
chestnut-mark-open-jpg.1514519

eo85-mark-2open-jpg.1514520

Lambsfoot of the Week has been Black Jack, my Jack Black SFO 2018 Guardians ebony lambsfoot:
bj-kitchensill-jpg.1514521
Three stunners for you today, Gary; cool covers on the entire trifecta! :cool::cool::cool::thumbsup:

I like the pocket watch, too. I had an annual physical exam a couple of weeks ago, and part of it involved checking the mental capabilities of a geezer like me. They gave me a paper with a circle on it, and instructed me to make a clock face, including all the numbers and hands. I thought about using Roman numerals, but the nurse didn't seem very cheerful, so I just went with 1-12 instead of I-XII.
I believe that test proves you are a stable genius. ;)
Congrats on the sparkly new Barlow! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
With those two knives, you must be a member of The Glitterati!

Amazing photo, Rachel! :eek::cool::cool: I don't think I've ever seen anything like that!
Thanks, GT. I've never seen that before, either. I stepped around the plant very carefully, afraid the ice would break off before I got a picture, but it was pretty thick.
Pairing the 'shunkle' with basic black today.
S2CldIS.jpg

View attachment 1514519

View attachment 1514520

View attachment 1514521

- GT

Stupendous patina packed trio, GT!

View attachment 1514519

View attachment 1514520

View attachment 1514521

- GT
Great looking knives, especially that little peanut! I really like mine too, but the color of yours is fantastic!;)

Cool picture, really shows of the beautiful grain in those Osage covers!:thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack! I use the trial and error method :D

Your pair is looking exceptional as usual.

Thank you very much Joshua, I use the same technique :D :thumbsup:

Wonderful looking Barlow, Jack. :cool::thumbsup:

Hope everybody has a blessed Sunday.

Thank you John, stunning Sunday pair there :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack! It’s good looking, and the differentially hardened O1 takes a very fine and durable edge. They make excellent knives over a Behring, to your individual liking.

Thanks for the info Tony, I'll have to check them out :) :thumbsup:

My grandma passed away August 22, at the age of 90. Today would have been her 91st birthday. I'm going to be thinking about her today as I carry this Boker she gave me about 15 years ago that was her father's. I'm not sure the age of it, but it has been around a while. It was only fitting to pose it with the Christmas cactus she started for me that is off her mother's. That plant is still alive over 100 years later. She was a great example of a Godly, loving Grandmother. Thankful I had her for 34 years. I hope everyone has a great Sunday!

6hTPmqT.jpg

Sorry for your loss, your grandma sounds like a fine lady. That's a nice keepsake :thumbsup:

Yeah, the older I get, the scarier life is! :p
Maybe you need to "layer" your vests to provide more pockets! :thumbsup::thumbsup::D
Certainly seems true for me that my favorite knives are the ones I'm actually using. I've got several tree branches drying in the garage with the hope that I'll turn them into walking sticks, but I'm not even sure what style I want. Almost all of my branches would become canes rather than shoulder/head high staffs (staves?).

LOL! :D I layered up to sit out round the fire-pit last night, and had a total of 31 pockets! :eek: No wonder I couldn't find my gloves when I came back in :rolleyes: :D I'll be interested to see your walking sticks Gary, I have quite a few, including a couple of really old ones. Being tall, my two shop-bought staffs are shorter than I would like, so I decided to make one more to my liking :thumbsup:

Home with the sick one today.
View attachment 1514173

Hope your little 'un is better soon Joshua :) :thumbsup:

What a cool couple of piano keys, especially when you throw in the wonderful talent of Bill Evans; awesome slicer/music grouping!;):cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Going with these two Scouts for Sunday. :)

Many thanks for the kind words JJ, what a superb pair of Sunday Scouts :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Getting the grill ready for steaks with my most used blade--the Dave Beck Forager. Curls to light, with sparks off a ferro rod.

bXPinCUl.jpg

00xzELvl.jpg

That's another fantastic-looking FB Tony :cool: I did my fire-prep last night with a humble Enzo Elver :) :thumbsup:

YgG2Upv.jpg

Off into a cozy evening with this beauty...
A wonderful Sunday nite to all.
View attachment 1514463

LOvely old Robeson :) :thumbsup:

GEC ebony Harness Jack and SAK Apprentice today:)
CXYt1s.jpg

Handsome pair Paul :) :thumbsup:

View attachment 1514519

View attachment 1514520

View attachment 1514521

- GT

Terrific trio Gary :) :thumbsup:

S2CldIS.jpg

LOL! :D Nice pair Rachel :) :thumbsup:

Hope everyone had a great weekend :) I'm starting off my week with my trusty Hartshead Barlow and a German Jack for Metal Monday ;) :thumbsup:

dfVvCkA.jpg

9VJapRA.jpg

Your lambsfoot knives are beauties, Bill! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: With that one, I can hear the bagpipes skirling. ;)

Hope everybody has a blessed Sunday.
Prestigious pair, John! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Do they fight over who gets to ride in the pocket slip?

Thanks Gary! The Field Master was a gift from my then girlfriend-now-wife thirty years ago! She knew I’d prefer the saw and didn’t need the corkscrew!
So a Fieldmaster will be fine reminder of a great family story about Mom & Dad! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
(When I tried to determine the optimal SAK for me, I only looked at the Tinker "side of the SAK family" with backside Phillips driver; had no use for a corkscrew, so I didn't even look at the Spartan "descendants". Ironically, in picking up secondhand SAKs at gun and knife shows, I've ended up with a Huntsman, the corkscrew Fieldmaster counterpart. :rolleyes:)

My grandma passed away August 22, at the age of 90. Today would have been her 91st birthday. I'm going to be thinking about her today as I carry this Boker she gave me about 15 years ago that was her father's. I'm not sure the age of it, but it has been around a while. It was only fitting to pose it with the Christmas cactus she started for me that is off her mother's. That plant is still alive over 100 years later. She was a great example of a Godly, loving Grandmother. Thankful I had her for 34 years. I hope everyone has a great Sunday!

6hTPmqT.jpg
Fine tribute to your grandma! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Treasure those keepsakes she gave you!

Thanks, GT! A German made Hoffritz that I found at a local antique store. :)
A fortunate find like that will have you going back for more! ;):cool::cool:

They’re both sweet Gary, thanks.
Not a simple Winchester number I’m afraid...
I can never remember it myself.
View attachment 1514176
When I saw the box you posted, I thought, "That number should be easy for me to remember: first 2 digits make the only 2-digit perfect number, and last 2 digits are my birth year." So then I looked at a photo of mine and the model number is 2857. So now I wonder if I really have the same Black Box Winchester as you posted (my eyes are less than reliable these days o_O).
jack.2857.pile.open.jpg

cool story! Getting through this is the trick—getting out on the hiking trails or to the high desert has kept us going.

My Kamp King was actually given to my then 7 year old son by an older gent selling knives at a local knife show. My son was a Cub Scout and keen on camping and hiking, and the man decided to make my son’s day. Now he’s 11 and hikes/ does outdoor activities with me regularly. These days he’ll use the knife to cut veggies for his feeder insects, which eventually get fed to his Bearded Dragon and Leopard Gecko. That’s his way of making it through this.
Sounds like your son is raising some interesting livestock! :):cool: I've walked at least 6 miles each day except 5 since last March 11, both for exercise and sanity, but almost all of mine has been "urban hiking" through neighborhoods within 3 miles of my house.

I have quite a few carbon JJ Martinez knives, all of them I've finished in varying degrees, they are made to a good enough standard for a working tool but it's usually pretty easy to finish them much better than as they come. I visited the workshop of the two brothers who make them last year & still haven't posted the pics.........

Yes, the Mercator is about as basic as a lockback can get, tough knife. :thumbsup:. Pocket hanger made from a teaspoon handle. :eek:
Thanks for the additional info about your knives. :) I have a wood and a stag navaja de campaña from JJ Martinez, but both are inox (despite my daughter specifically requesting carbon in a shop in Granada, over the salesman's objections :mad:).

Going with these two Scouts for Sunday. :)
Captivating couple of Camillus scouts, JJ! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Thanks Gary ! We have our share of sunny day in the winter and more this year than most. It is overcast today however and no artificial light. It does help reflect light when there's snow on the ground. ;)

American Jack and a Barlow

dJhXEE7.jpg
Thanks for the "weather report", Steve. :) That American Jack is an attractive beast! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

I decided on this one for most of the day, Case Sowbelly Jack.

View attachment 1514393
Admirable single-blade sowbelly, Dean! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Three stunners for you today, Gary; cool covers on the entire trifecta! :cool::cool::cool::thumbsup:
Stupendous patina packed trio, GT!
Great looking knives, especially that little peanut! I really like mine too, but the color of yours is fantastic!;)
Terrific trio Gary :) :thumbsup:
Thanks for the encouraging words, gentlemen. :)

Thanks, GT. I've never seen that before, either. I stepped around the plant very carefully, afraid the ice would break off before I got a picture, but it was pretty thick.
S2CldIS.jpg
Inspired pairing, Rachel! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: The glitter above the ebony reminds me of the Milky Way spreading through the blackness of otherwise relatively-empty night sky!

I believe that test proves you are a stable genius. ;)
That is what i was told !!! I have the brains of a horse.;).
:D:D:D

Cheerful color and splendid grain! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

LOL! :D I layered up to sit out round the fire-pit last night, and had a total of 31 pockets! :eek: No wonder I couldn't find my gloves when I came back in :rolleyes: :D I'll be interested to see your walking sticks Gary, I have quite a few, including a couple of really old ones. Being tall, my two shop-bought staffs are shorter than I would like, so I decided to make one more to my liking :thumbsup:
Hope everyone had a great weekend :) I'm starting off my week with my trusty Hartshead Barlow and a German Jack for Metal Monday ;) :thumbsup:

dfVvCkA.jpg

9VJapRA.jpg
31 pockets filled with knives would be quite a workout, Jack! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Great photo of your HHB with watery background, and interesting German all-metal example! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
My only "cane" near completion is this red oak branch. The bend at the top is a serviceable handle, although I'm considering topping it with some kind of pipe joint from the hardware store for a better grip. I have a rubber tip on the bottom.
electrician.cane.fulllength.jpg

Today with this Portuguese knife of craftsman Veríssimo from Miranda do Douro, in stag.;):thumbsup:
... ...
Superb knife, José; I always enjoy seeing that one! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

Gary, your eyes are better than mine!
My black box Winchester is indeed a 15 2857 as the tang is stamped like yours, and not a 15 2851.
Must have been a mix up somewhere down the line. I do have the proper box liner, yet incorrect box top it seems. Good catch!

Back