What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

today781.jpg

today782.jpg

Your lambsfoot knives are beauties, Bill! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: With that one, I can hear the bagpipes skirling. ;)

Prestigious pair, John! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Do they fight over who gets to ride in the pocket slip?

So a Fieldmaster will be fine reminder of a great family story about Mom & Dad! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
(When I tried to determine the optimal SAK for me, I only looked at the Tinker "side of the SAK family" with backside Phillips driver; had no use for a corkscrew, so I didn't even look at the Spartan "descendants". Ironically, in picking up secondhand SAKs at gun and knife shows, I've ended up with a Huntsman, the corkscrew Fieldmaster counterpart. :rolleyes:)

Fine tribute to your grandma! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Treasure those keepsakes she gave you!

A fortunate find like that will have you going back for more! ;):cool::cool:

When I saw the box you posted, I thought, "That number should be easy for me to remember: first 2 digits make the only 2-digit perfect number, and last 2 digits are my birth year." So then I looked at a photo of mine and the model number is 2857. So now I wonder if I really have the same Black Box Winchester as you posted (my eyes are less than reliable these days o_O).
View attachment 1514641

Sounds like your son is raising some interesting livestock! :):cool: I've walked at least 6 miles each day except 5 since last March 11, both for exercise and sanity, but almost all of mine has been "urban hiking" through neighborhoods within 3 miles of my house.

Thanks for the additional info about your knives. :) I have a wood and a stag navaja de campaña from JJ Martinez, but both are inox (despite my daughter specifically requesting carbon in a shop in Granada, over the salesman's objections :mad:).

Captivating couple of Camillus scouts, JJ! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Thanks for the "weather report", Steve. :) That American Jack is an attractive beast! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Admirable single-blade sowbelly, Dean! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks for the encouraging words, gentlemen. :)

Inspired pairing, Rachel! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: The glitter above the ebony reminds me of the Milky Way spreading through the blackness of otherwise relatively-empty night sky!

:D:D:D

Cheerful color and splendid grain! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

31 pockets filled with knives would be quite a workout, Jack! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Great photo of your HHB with watery background, and interesting German all-metal example! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
My only "cane" near completion is this red oak branch. The bend at the top is a serviceable handle, although I'm considering topping it with some kind of pipe joint from the hardware store for a better grip. I have a rubber tip on the bottom.
View attachment 1514644

Superb knife, José; I always enjoy seeing that one! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT
Thanks GT. That one was gifted to me by @Modoc ED .

31 pockets filled with knives would be quite a workout, Jack! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Great photo of your HHB with watery background, and interesting German all-metal example! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
My only "cane" near completion is this red oak branch. The bend at the top is a serviceable handle, although I'm considering topping it with some kind of pipe joint from the hardware store for a better grip. I have a rubber tip on the bottom.
View attachment 1514644

- GT

It certainly would! :eek: :D I had two in my trouser pockets, and one on my belt :) Thank you my friend :) Thanks for the photo of your cane Gary, my staff is pretty much straight, but the top six inches lean slightly. I was intending to straighten it, but don't think I'm going to bother. I've fitted an alpine ferrule, which has a rubber 'boot', and a paracord wrist-loop at the other end. I may whip a section with paracord, but I'm not sure about that yet :thumbsup:

I almost forgot to post the last 3 knives from this past week's carry (a new group rotates in tomorrow for the week ahead).
Peanut-like knife since last Monday has been a Case CV chestnut jigged bone Peanut:
View attachment 1514519

Stag/Horn Knife of the Week has been a buffalo horn GEC #85 (thanks, Paul):
View attachment 1514520

Lambsfoot of the Week has been Black Jack, my Jack Black SFO 2018 Guardians ebony lambsfoot:
View attachment 1514521

- GT
That's a high quality tro, GT. :cool::thumbsup:

Thank you John, stunning Sunday pair there
Thank you, Jack. :)

That looks like a fantastic and beautiful Fixed Blade. :thumbsup:

Prestigious pair, John!
Thank you, GT. :)

Do they fight over who gets to ride in the pocket slip?
The Albers gets the slip, the Charlie Lamb is too long for it.

View attachment 1514659 View attachment 1514657 View attachment 1514658

An old ebony three dot Buck 110. This was the last year for the 440c steel and the first year Bos did their heat treatment. It was also the last year with the old square bolsters and convex blade shape. Finally, it might be the first year where they used a bushing. A lot of Buck history in this 40 year old knife. I hope I got all the details right!

sitflyer sitflyer , thanks for the correct information. I didn’t realize they continued to use a bushing to this day. Quite a knife for the money!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Tony, I'll have to check them out :) :thumbsup:

I think you’ll like what you see—the only problem is you’ll like them too much! I have a Scagel style woodcraft on the way.

That's another fantastic-looking FB Tony :cool: I did my fire-prep last night with a humble Enzo Elver :) :thumbsup:

Looks like a great blade—great size for maximum versatility.

So a Fieldmaster will be fine reminder of a great family story about Mom & Dad! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
(When I tried to determine the optimal SAK for me, I only looked at the Tinker "side of the SAK family" with backside Phillips driver; had no use for a corkscrew, so I didn't even look at the Spartan "descendants". Ironically, in picking up secondhand SAKs at gun and knife shows, I've ended up with a Huntsman, the corkscrew Fieldmaster counterpart. :rolleyes:)

Funny you say that—this past Christmas, all four children received their own Fieldmaster, and I told them the story.

No matter which you have, you can’t go wrong with a SAK.

View attachment 1514685 This particular Voos really needs some loving. It’s had a hard life. Rode hard, and put up wet~ literally. The pen is quite gritty in the w&t.
But she’s very sharp, and has that Rogers Bone...
And I am 219 posts behind, made worse by the fact that our 13, and 14 year old grand daughters burned through our month’s allocation of satellite internet gigabytes in one week, so we are in Slowdown Gulag until the 8th:rolleyes:

Last edited:
GEC ebony Harness Jack and SAK Apprentice today:)
CXYt1s.jpg

I just love those harness jacks! I have several older GEC's coming my way in the mail that I'm excited to show off, but those are evading me! it's a beauty.

Fine tribute to your grandma! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Treasure those keepsakes she gave you!
- GT

Thank you! I definitely will.

I love that knife every time you post it. As a self-proclaimed crappy duck hunter, it's great!

Love the grain on that one. You couldn't ask for better.

View attachment 1514659 View attachment 1514657 View attachment 1514658

An old ebony three dot Buck 110. This was the last year for the 440c steel and the first year Bos did their heat treatment. It was also the last year with the old square bolsters and convex blade shape. It is the only year that I am aware of where they used a bushing. A lot of Buck history in this 40 year old knife. I hope I got all the details right.
Nice three dot 110 Leslie. They started using the bushing on the three dotter, and it was a steel bushing. They continued using the bushing to this day, but at some point switched to a bronze bushing. Interestingly, I have taken apart a 112 two dot that had a bushing, which led me to guess that they were using up their stock of blades when the change was made, There is a pretty interesting timeline for these over in the stickies on the Buck forum.

Back