What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Great stag on the whittler. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I dig the fancy radiator too.

Thanks, I don't have many stag handled knives so felt I had to have this one when I spotted it since I had been looking to add another whittler anyway.:) I like my radiators too, I put a hammered finish/glass flake paint on them when I bought the house 20 years ago.

I’m glad one of us is looking better with age and use!:( :D
You know, I’d like it better with a swedge on the spear like your jack.

Your radiator shots always remind me of Grandma’s house...:thumbsup::)

Thanks, Jeff. Yep, I like the S&M Heritage knives even if the fit and finish isn't perfect. They have an old timey look to me but so does your big jack.
As for the radiators they are 110 years old and function perfect and remind me of my grandparents house too. Bungalow living is warm, comfortable and nostalgic. :) My maternal grandmother would be 108 years old if she were still with us.

Well, took another polar plunge today, only it wasn’t intentional this time. Was breaking up some ice around the dock, lost my balance, fell off the dock and went right through the ice! Pretty deep water but I was able to get ahold of the dock and climb out. Had my 86 tortoise in my pocket but I’m happy to report after a flush with WD40 and a few drops of fresh oil in the joint it’s all good! Overall, I’d say I was pretty lucky!:thumbsup:
View attachment 1518489

Thanks to the Good Lord that you were able to get yourself out. Cold water and often times unattended docks add up to bad outcomes. Glad you are okay! OH

Oh man! Glad you are OK! And glad you held on to that 86! :thumbsup:

Thanks to the Good Lord that you were able to get yourself out. Cold water and often times unattended docks add up to bad outcomes. Glad you are okay! OH
Thanks fellas, been around this stuff nearly all my life, knew better than to be doing by myself, was lucky!

v2GT0he.jpg

Well, took another polar plunge today, only it wasn’t intentional this time. Was breaking up some ice around the dock, lost my balance, fell off the dock and went right through the ice! Pretty deep water but I was able to get ahold of the dock and climb out. Had my 86 tortoise in my pocket but I’m happy to report after a flush with WD40 and a few drops of fresh oil in the joint it’s all good! Overall, I’d say I was pretty lucky!:thumbsup:
View attachment 1518489

Thank God you’re okay!!

... I’ve done one intentional polar bear plunge. I can’t imagine falling through ice like that though.

Just saw your posts - glad you were able to climb out and you're OK.
Thanks, it rained all night so the lake was high that’s why I was able to reach up and grab the dock. Nothing hurt but my pride!:rolleyes:

Playing around with tabletop photo stuff this evening, tried for a "beauty" shot (kinda) of the knives for the coming week (minus the key ring Cadet). Some of the other knives I have are beginning to feel neglected.
original.jpg
Very nice picture of some fantastic knives. :thumbsup:

Cool pic Bill :) :thumbsup:

Another legend passes. My condolences, Jack. May his memory be eternal.

Your double stags rise to the top, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Sorry to hear that sad news, Jack. Condolences to you and his other friends and family as you remember his long and remarkable life.

Sorry to hear of Stan's passing Jack.

I'm sad to here Stan has passed Jack. My condolences to you, his friends and family. I have enjoyed your photos, stories and the learning you have passed from Stan to us.

It feels like the end of an era.

Sad news, condolences !

Thanks a lot guys, much appreciated :) :thumbsup:

Thank you very much, Jack!!!

Speaking about "eye candy," these two stag covered beauties look amazing; super cool Jack!!! :D:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Many thanks my friend, you're very kind :) :thumbsup:

Another gorgeous pic Dwight :cool: :thumbsup:

Grabbed a couple of spear blades for Sunday. :)

Splendid Sunday Spears JJ :cool: :) :thumbsup:

View attachment 1518489

Blimey! :eek: I'm glad you're alright :eek: :thumbsup:

Starting off the week (and month) with my Hartshead Barlow and a Stan Shaw Ruler Knife, the last knife I had from him :( :thumbsup:

PPUUjTs.jpg

6R9CzpL.jpg

View attachment 1518136 View attachment 1518131 View attachment 1518132 View attachment 1518133

I am a big fan of Jess Horn knives. Given his knife making fame, I always wondered why it was hard to find much personal information about Jess, and almost impossible to locate a photograph. I recently had a nice long conversation with someone who knew him well. He sent me a photo of Jess, the only one I have ever seen. It turns out Jess was quiet and avoided attention.

He might not have been outgoing, but Jess made a hell of a knife. They speak for themselves! My favorite patterns are the ones designed by Bob Loveless and Jess Horn. This sambar stag “Small Horn Pattern” is an example of one of those. Loveless wanted to sell Horn folders thorough his shop to his customers looking for folders in addition to his fixed blades. The two legends collaborated on several patterns. It is easy to see the Loveless inspiration in several of the patterns Jess made. The opposite is also true, Jess obviously influenced some of the Loveless patterns such as the Stiff Horn which was apparently named after Jess.

My friend also told me that Jess made almost all locking knives and did not make many slip joints. I was happy to find this rare Horn slip joint in used condition, because I plan to carry it often and use it a lot! The knife is an early one, made in the 1970’s, and the stag has aged nicely over the decades.

Have a Blessed Sunday everyone!

Thank you @Mitch Will , it took a while but finally made it to Louisiana!

Superb this knife... :rolleyes:

Back