What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Gerber Folding Sportsman today.

ZHp2q1.jpg

I felt intimidated by the convex grind.

I am happy to report that I ain't intimidated no more :thumbsup: :)

Bought the strop and compounds, read up on sharpening convex grinds and went to work.
Sounds like you figured it out! :thumbsup: I felt the same way about convex edges, went down the same path as you with the strop and compounds. I even had some points at a big outdoor sporting goods store and picked up a Ken Onion edition Work Sharp. I think I’m getting better but still not satisfied with my results. Was there something that you did that clicked, or some kind of “Ah ha!” moment for you? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Todd

Thanks my friend! Accidentally dropping it into a cup of black coffee a couple of times one morning trying to take a picture of it probably made the ebony even darker. :oops:
That’s funny! Maybe that’s a new thing, coffee dye, you could call it “dye it and drink it!”:D

Sowbelly Stockman of the Week is a Rough Rider stag model:
View attachment 1520300
- GT
That is a great looking RR!

Handsome pair of Otters!:thumbsup:
Thank you sir! I like them both, but the Weavers knife with the wharncliffe is cool, only Otter I own that has a half stop.:)

Regular stockman of the Week is this Buck 371 (thanks, Randy):
View attachment 1520299

Sowbelly Stockman of the Week is a Rough Rider stag model:
View attachment 1520300

Couple of canoes in this week's carry, too: a Chinese Schrade 11OT and a Case from 1975.
View attachment 1520310

View attachment 1520311

- GT

Nice line-up Gary :thumbsup:

An old Imperial with some new toys ready to go camping.

IunQ2gm.jpg

Nice selection of tools there Dennis :) It's great to see you here again, and I hope you have a great camping trip buddy :thumbsup:

Carrying my Hartshead Barlow today, and a wee Queen Trapper kindly gifted to me by JohnDF JohnDF :) Have a good day folks :thumbsup:

UVq2XYA.jpg

cneKM8w.jpg

Toting these two today :thumbsup:

A4Z0z0Z.jpg

So, are the Old Bear knives any good? Seeing you with one, knowing what else you have, I want to assume a resounding YES, but figured I'd ask anyway. :) I'd never seen them before I stumbled onto them on the auction site a couple nights ago... I'm intrigued. Kinda like an opinel but not..

A refrigeration shut-off valve (I think it was 2-3” or so).

I hope everyone is having a good hump day.

Today I went for the 29 but the lure of the 86 got me. Even though it’s a bit beefy, it’s so hard to resist...

(A much more interesting valve this time)
View attachment 1520169

Cool!
This one is out of my line too... looks more familiar but I'm stumped again. (I work in all sorts of maintenance and fixit work, and auto/machinery/ hvac off and on too, plus I'm just a hardware junky that likes to learn... so this kinda stuff always interests me :) )

The knife is nice too! :D

So, are the Old Bear knives any good? Seeing you with one, knowing what else you have, I want to assume a resounding YES, but figured I'd ask anyway. :) I'd never seen them before I stumbled onto them on the auction site a couple nights ago... I'm intrigued. Kinda like an opinel but not..

I don't carry locking folders often these days here, and part of the reason for that is that, for the past few decades, UK law has put them in the same class as fixed-blades, with restrictions on EDC. I tend to carry slipjoints and fixed-blades. I saw the Old Bear knives on a UK site a few years back, and thought they looked interesting. I was already familiar with Antonini knives, and thought the ones I'd had were good value cheapies. Soon after, a friend bought me one, I suspect because of the 'Old Bear' etch :rolleyes: They were only available in stainless then, and he gave me the 3 1/4" model. While I was grateful for the knife, it was somewhat superfluous to my requirements, and I probably only slipped it in my pocket a couple of times. Unlike most folks here, I've never been a huge fan of Opinels (I'm hiding behind the sofa at the moment), and I definitely prefer the locking mechanism on the Old Bear knives, as well as the blade profile, and the handle, which is very comfortable. The blades are slightly thicker stock than an Opinel, but well-ground. I bought the carbon model, out of interest, when they first appeared, and decided to get a different size, the 2 3/4" model. I prefer the steel, but definitely prefer the larger knife. Carrying these knives recently was, first of all, the result of my Random Tuesday thread, (just a blind pick), and secondly, inspired by Charlie's Maniago thread, but I've enjoyed carrying them, they're well-made budget knives, and very comfortable to use. I'm sure I'll carry them again :thumbsup:

The webermesser looks cool indeed! :thumbsup:Nice to know about the half stop. Is it in Plumwood or Sapeli?
Honestly, the only thing I can say for sure it that it isn’t Sapeli.:) I saw this knife in a video, thought it was pretty cool because I liked the wharncliffe blade and half stop. The site said the handle material was “wood, Sapeli”. By your question, I’m going to assume the “wood” option is plumwood, although it is much darker than my others in plumwood. To me the grain looks like cocobolo or maybe rosewood, but I’m not familiar enough with this knife to know all the cover options. Sorry for the long uninformative response, maybe a picture will help!:D
304FB6A3-DC8F-4D78-A1B3-9AF260782A49.jpeg

Honestly, the only thing I can say for sure it that it isn’t Sapeli.:) I saw this knife in a video, thought it was pretty cool because I liked the wharncliffe blade and half stop. The site said the handle material was “wood, Sapeli”. By your question, I’m going to assume the “wood” option is plumwood, although it is much darker than my others in plumwood. To me the grain looks like cocobolo or maybe rosewood, but I’m not familiar enough with this knife to know all the cover options. Sorry for the long uninformative response, maybe a picture will help!:D
View attachment 1520511
:thumbsup:Thank you for the reply! I appreciate it very much! It looks good whatever wood it is.;) Another Otter on my list.:D

An old Imperial with some new toys ready to go camping.

IunQ2gm.jpg

Nice set up Dennis, so wish I could tag along with you :)

Spring is in the air :)
Not yet here ... but soon .

Was there something that you did that clicked, or some kind of “Ah ha!” moment for you?

Hi Todd.
A tiny micro bevel did it for me, I was able to truly fully apex the edge with it :thumbsup:

Despite practicing and concentrating on technique a lot I could only bring the convex grind to "sharp enough" level on the strops. Probably fine for cutting rope/general use but I wanted the next level :)

A few feather light passes on the sharpmaker on the fine white stones ( 20 degrees) was like BANG ... super sharp. I was literally blown away by the almost instant improvement.

The second time I stropped/repeated the experiment it only took 10 light passes on each side at the end of stropping.

It makes sense to me that a convex edge, stropped on a soft medium can be quite a challenge to get a crisp sharp point of contact between the steel and the material being cut.

I think the light passes on the sharpmaker created a crisp V at the point of contact which made all the difference between "sharp enough" and "super sharp"

Carrying my little laser today :cool:

gRMdaTW.jpg

Back