What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

I had a day full of yard work today. Got the landscaping cleaned out up and ready for new mulch, and the 85 made easy work of several fertilizer bags for the lawn.

Libu3X6.jpg

Thanks a lot JJ, I do enjoy seeing your vintage thrifties :) :thumbsup:

Interesting knives nonetheless Rachel :cool: That is quite a collection you're looking after too! :thumbsup:

You're well-armed Dan :D Great pics :thumbsup:

Hope everyone has had a good week :) Carrying TWO Old Friends today :) :thumbsup:

tSEoNWq.jpg

VxsmCAp.jpg
The horn on that lamb is some of the finest I’ve ever seen, Jack. :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
Thank you, it's an honor.

As a contrast to yesterday's "Thrifty Thursday", it's time for "Fancy Friday":
QKmMqy6.jpg
I didn’t like glitter gold at first, but now the more I see it, the more I’m warming up to it. o_O

I have to make up my own days because I never get Stag Saturday, Micarta Monday or any of them right for that matter, so here is Micarta Friday's carry;):D
GRINRw.jpg
I really like the SAK replacement covers. I have a Tinker with a melted scale, I never considered an aftermarket replacement option before. Thanks for the idea! :thumbsup::thumbsup::)

Busy day today . Out to lunch and then some walking on Lake Geneva and had these very seldom ever carried Stag . Both are Northfields . #12 & #44 ( Old Pics )

Harry
That 44 has me drooling. :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

JACK!! :eek: :eek: I’m not mad, I’m just disappointed. :(

;) :D

LOL! :D I know, and most of all I'm letting MYSELF down :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

That’s a cool knife. :thumbsup: And Cormac McCarthy one of my favorite feel-good authors. o_O :D

:D :D :thumbsup:

Znz630m.jpg

(I added the Opinel for Jack Black Jack Black .) ;)

I’ve been carrying this Burlap Micarta #71 Bull Nose (a gift from @paulhilborn) for few days.

AL0b9Yd.jpg

:eek: Nice #71 my friend ;) :thumbsup:

The horn on that lamb is some of the finest I’ve ever seen, Jack. :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thank you very much :) :thumbsup:

Great pic :) :thumbsup:

OK, I'm literally heading out to the porch tonight... wish you all could join me. Have a good one :thumbsup:
ltAQfrol.jpg

Looks like you've got everything covered there Tony, and in considerable style :) :thumbsup:

Have a great Sunday folks :) These two are going to be doing some work today :thumbsup:

bW8dEDV.jpg

yKX380x.jpg

I don't carry locking folders often these days here, and part of the reason for that is that, for the past few decades, UK law has put them in the same class as fixed-blades, with restrictions on EDC. I tend to carry slipjoints and fixed-blades. I saw the Old Bear knives on a UK site a few years back, and thought they looked interesting. I was already familiar with Antonini knives, and thought the ones I'd had were good value cheapies. Soon after, a friend bought me one, I suspect because of the 'Old Bear' etch :rolleyes: They were only available in stainless then, and he gave me the 3 1/4" model. While I was grateful for the knife, it was somewhat superfluous to my requirements, and I probably only slipped it in my pocket a couple of times. Unlike most folks here, I've never been a huge fan of Opinels (I'm hiding behind the sofa at the moment), and I definitely prefer the locking mechanism on the Old Bear knives, as well as the blade profile, and the handle, which is very comfortable. The blades are slightly thicker stock than an Opinel, but well-ground. I bought the carbon model, out of interest, when they first appeared, and decided to get a different size, the 2 3/4" model. I prefer the steel, but definitely prefer the larger knife. Carrying these knives recently was, first of all, the result of my Random Tuesday thread, (just a blind pick), and secondly, inspired by Charlie's Maniago thread, but I've enjoyed carrying them, they're well-made budget knives, and very comfortable to use. I'm sure I'll carry them again :thumbsup:

Thank you Sir for your thoughts!
I too am not(diving for cover here) particularly an Opinel fan. I like mine OK, but find it a bit of an uncomfortable shape, and too lightweight to really use--Have a hard time using it cause I can't feel its there. Buf anyway, the Old Bears do look interesting, if I can find a small enough one I think I'll give them a try.

Verry nice knife, but that might just be the coolest cutting board I've ever seen!

Guess I set my glass of water in just the right place on my desk at just the right time this morning. Same old ironwood viper in a different light.
ld5rc92.jpg

Verry cool shot!

This one, and a passage from Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian. The passage describes an inscription on one of the character's rifle, so I thought it fitting. Have a great day; some amazing pics today!

r89QlWnl.jpg
Thank you for adding to my reading list!

Due to unusually high Sasquatch activity in our area recently, I carried both a fixed blade and a folder while out in the woods today.

KJRndC3.jpg

Zxcy2eC.jpg

Been wanting to ask you... What on earth IS that thing in the background, cross between ice skates and a stand up (razor type) skooter?

I've posted this before, but here's a pic that illustrates the variability in shades among Case chestnut jigged bone examples among those that I have. (I think I have 3 other patterns now from the chestnut CV series, so it's time that I update the family photo; maybe when the weather gets warm. ;))
View attachment 1521177

The color variance may be somewhat exaggerated because the shot was taken in bright sunshine. I think the shot below is the same array of knives, but I moved so that my shadow fell over the knives. I don't think there's as much lightening near the bolsters in this shady shot.
View attachment 1521200

- GT

Wow, and thanks for thst. That us quite a variety of colors! Ill have to get another one, just to see what I get. :D

What a beauty ! Thank you Mike @knifeswapper for this beautiful example Case XX Barlow smooth Giraffe bone. It will be going in my pocket today !
ZSFTXsN.jpg

8IvwZEM.jpg

NucKZ6X.jpg
That bone IS fabulous. Always have liked giraffe bone, its a rpugh look but classy too.

Today with this Schrade Barlow Scrimshaw in my pocket.;):thumbsup:

Im not really a Barlow fan, but lovecthis one every time I see it, the carved/engraved bolsters really set it off.

“And now I remembered that the real world was wide, and that a varied field of hopes and fears, of sensations and excitments, awaited those who had the courage to go forth into it's expanse, to seek real knowledge of life amidst it's perils.”

― Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

41093371970_d9bdb900d7_b.jpg

Wonderful quote, thank you Sir!

In addition to my stag mini trapper I’m carrying my 86 tortoise. This picture was taken on the wall of an enclosure I built for a few tortoises when our kids were 3 and 6. We still have the tortoises and the kids are now 17 and 20! It seemed like an appropriate setting for the 86 even though the tortoises are still in hibernation. Have a great Saturday everyone!
View attachment 1521809

Huh. Learrn something new every day! Never knew tortoises could live that long, nor that they hibernate.

View attachment 1522003 View attachment 1522002

Don Hanson III, his son, and his brother make a line of knives bearing the Steam Mill stamp. The micarta is vintage, and the steel comes from old saw mill blades. (Do I remember that correctly @Don Hanson III ?) Regardless, they are extremely nice knives with that special Hanson touch!

Whatever the exact details, it is a great knife! Ive always thought thst not enough makers do long handle shorter blade combinations. This just looks great, and I'm sure it handle just as well as it looks.

Always a welcome sight.
More and more grass is being exposed, but the snow is still knee deep in my gardens:(

At least you can see some grass. I'm butt deep in snow, and more forecasted next week. Im itching to get my seed starting done but its too early, won't see my lawn or garden for probably 2 months yet. :(

I think the giraffe bone makes some really distinctive covers.
IMG_0879-X4.jpg

Oh that us wonderful! Fantastic color and pattern for a sowbelly.

Great flame pic Jack! :cool:
I need to get out with a small stove for a walk about and a cuppa in the woods soon.

Just gathering good things together, Jack. Have a great Sunday, my friend... just past midnight here in SoCal.

Thanks Tony, sweet dreams buddy :) :thumbsup:

Thank you Sir for your thoughts!
I too am not(diving for cover here) particularly an Opinel fan. I like mine OK, but find it a bit of an uncomfortable shape, and too lightweight to really use--Have a hard time using it cause I can't feel its there. Buf anyway, the Old Bears do look interesting, if I can find a small enough one I think I'll give them a try.

Great flame pic Jack! :cool:
I need to get out with a small stove for a walk about and a cuppa in the woods soon.

LOL! :D Good look in finding one of the Old Bears :) :thumbsup:

Thank you my friend, as soon as our latest lockdown is lifted, I'll be straight out :)

That looks like a serious work knife. :cool::thumbsup:
Nice to see that Otter work knife again.:thumbsup::)
Thanks, John and @Marlingspike12 . :) I like an "all business" knife like that Otter, but it doesn't open quite as far as I think it should (but maybe the downward can't of the blade is a design feature).

Aside from being able to score a Winchester Sowbelly (Black Box), I also was able to get one of these Case Barlows in CV - I missed out on them and have been looking for one ever since. I have @LastRodeo to thank for making both available to me. (Now I need to get a little patina on it....)
Congrats on the sawcut Case Barlow, Dylan! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Quality quartet Gary :) :thumbsup:
Toting these two today :thumbsup:

A4Z0z0Z.jpg
Thanks, Jack. :)
I dig your dynamic duo! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Tuesday night/Wednesday morning around the house.

wp-1614773057017.jpg

(Amherst cutlery baby canoe in slightly burnt preban elephant ivory. )
Marvelous little canoe!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Jaw-dropping jigging on that Schrade, Jeff!! :eek::cool::cool:

No turkeys Harry, just a couple of Otters! :D
View attachment 1519960
Prestigious pair of Otters, and a vivid vista! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

That's exactly how it is in my school district.
You get a text notification, and then you have to race all your fellow teachers to reserve an appointment time on-line before they're all gone.
Afterwards, everybody's talking about either getting an appointment or the horrific experience of trying to get one but failing.
No different than trying to purchase a new GEC knife. ;)
I don't think I'd ever get the vaccine if I had to compete for appointments like that! :eek::mad::thumbsdown: (I don't do GECs, either, for that reason among others.)

Nice group of knives, Gary. :thumbsup::cool: This combo reminds me of those tests I was given in school,etc: which one is different than the others? :)
I wasn't trying to make a test, Dean, although if it were a test like that, I'll bet there are several acceptable answers! ;):cool::cool:

I'm carrying my Buck 503 for Wooden Wednesday.

View attachment 1519972
Elegant Buck, Dean! :cool::thumbsup::cool: I like the wide edge bevel; even I can feel when I've got the blade at the proper angle on the stone with a broad bevel like that. ;)

Well, it's Wednesday and there's wood in the pic... 'bout as good as I can do today. Have a good one!
TauVstZl.jpg
Impressive expanse of stimulating stag on that big trapper! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Carrying some wood for Wednesday. I love all of the BF knives I have gotten recently! Not only are they superb knives, but I love what they stand for.
Congrats on how quickly you're picking up so many of those Forum knives! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: You must be both dedicated and lucky! ;)

Herding Catts

42750683082_c24d81de05_b.jpg
Your herd shows off a marvelous array of Catt variety, Gev! :thumbsup::eek::thumbsup:

Toting these two wood covered single bladed jacks today. :)
That S&M is striking, JJ! :cool::cool:;)

Carrying my favorite scout knife today.

I can see why that scout (Remington?) is your favorite, Tom; it's a winner!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

The King of Canoes. :cool::thumbsup:
Thanks, John; I also think that model is quite regal! :)

Today, some canoe
View attachment 1520503
a great day to all.
Speaking of a regal canoe, that one is definitely monarchical, Gus! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Quite a nail nick on the main blade.

That is a great looking RR!
Thanks, Todd; I feel fortunate to have it! :)

An old Imperial with some new toys ready to go camping.
Great to see you, Dennis! :):thumbsup::thumbsup: You've got some top-notch camping gear there, but for this geezer's eyes, the Imperial is the star of the show!

I carry today this Case Mini Trapper of 1982 in stag.;):thumbsup:

Handsome stag mini trapper, José! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nice line-up Gary :thumbsup:
Carrying my Hartshead Barlow today, and a wee Queen Trapper kindly gifted to me by @JohnDF :) Have a good day folks :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack. :)
Couple of complementary carries for you! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I don't carry locking folders often these days here, and part of the reason for that is that, for the past few decades, UK law has put them in the same class as fixed-blades, with restrictions on EDC.
Carrying these knives recently was, first of all, the result of my Random Tuesday thread, (just a blind pick), and secondly, inspired by Charlie's Maniago thread, but I've enjoyed carrying them, they're well-made budget knives, and very comfortable to use. I'm sure I'll carry them again :thumbsup:
I appreciate your detailed evaluation of your Old Bear knives, Jack! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Missed my Boker Barlow while I was paying attention to some others...
Both Barlow and slip look dignified to me, John! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

The thriftiest for Thrifty Thursday:
b0CtwxG.jpg
Nice souvenirs! :cool::):cool:

Anything can happen at the Stockyards so a heavy knife is appropriate for this excursion; therefore, this Buck 500 will be going along.
More "facts of life" I didn't know, ED, and a superb Buck 500! :cool:;):cool:

Schrade Cutco and a Possum Skinner

lS3JubB.jpg
Two tremendous knives, Steve! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Handsome file fixed blade! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: What tools did you use to grind that?

My version of a "factory 2nd". I imagine this one'll be in my pocket a good long time. She takes down apples like nobody's buisness!
View attachment 1520639
Absolutely love that knife.
Truthfully, it might be my favorite knife posted... ever. :cool::thumbsup:
I wouldn't go as far as John in my praise ;), but my first reaction to the knife photo was "All knife, all the time!" :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm carrying my Case Tribal Lock today.

View attachment 1520654
Incredibly appealing knife, Dean! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Today's two thrifty 1930's totes, both from Hammer Brand/Imperial. :)
That pair hit the nail right on the head for this old man, JJ! :cool::cool:;)

A 48 degree F and sunny day can feel like heaven after several weeks of dreary and dark days.
STv0pPM.jpg
Truer words were never written. Great photo! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Last summer, @CHNeal decided to take a step back. I hope all is well with him.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/a-step-back.1745292/

I am currently honored to be the keeper of his "misfit" collection.
iZBeqZf.jpg
Clay's a good guy, and his Bucks are in good hands!! ;):thumbsup::cool:

- GT

Back