What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Looks like that old Case has been around the block a time or two. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Did you do the blade mod?

- GT

It has indeed been around, athough I'm I'm not sure what its previous owners did to/with it. Its a 1998, I got it on that auction site in 2015(for about $12 as my records say).

Yup, I did it. well... mostly.
I'm getting awfully forgetful, had to go back and check to see exactly why I reground it. I remembered broken blade.

Assume it was a broken blade, then someone else made a kinda chisel ground tanto point on it. I had to make it a useful shape and tweak/tighten the frame.

You can see the shield hase moved in the handle scale(although, possibly a factory defect, considering the large pocket around it…) The front side pivot end bolster is turned slightly, there is a good gap along the back at the pivot end, and of couse the blade has been I think broken and re-ground. The pivot pin is visible in both bolsters.. The spey blade sits crooked when open, and has been convex sharpened(no problem there, several of my knives I’ve convexed the edges).

I think the story goes that some idiot used that main blade as a pry bar, broke it, and in the process spread the liners/sides, exposing the pin in the bolsters, and tweaking the one bolster on the liner. Also probably tweaking/bending the pivot and canting the spey blade.. They then pressed/squeezed the end together again, or the natural tension returned it to this point. And the blade was re-ground roughly.

Also though, the pitting in the blade is deep, and rounded… Like its melted in. It looks like spatter type pitting from electric arc welding, like the blade was welded on, or near by to.

20151119_144206.jpg

Been experimenting with using a farmer for my weekend knife. Came in handy last weekend working in the back yard. Have to see how it works just around the house. I do enjoy the thicker, pointier main blade compared to the regular SAKs. I can say that the reamer works well for making holes in leather, as I was fussing with a piece of leather for a project today.
D4boKqH.jpg

I'd like to be able to superimpose knife photos with "transparent backgrounds" over photos of the many neighborhoods, parks, etc. through which I wander on my daily walks.)

Sooo..... I got curious how hard it'd be to find a simple app to do it.

Anything like this what you had in mind?

161515511480228129.jpg

I literally just Googled "transparent background overlay app" and this was in the top like 3 hits... there might be better options if you dig around, this was just fast and easy to me.

"PhotoLayers〜Superimpose, Background Eraser"

Its dead simple, add a photo, then add another and adjust the opacity of the top one. (Can adjust all other usual photo editing stuff too, contrast, sepia, etc)

It also has all the features to cut/crop around things in a pic then layer that over another image.

wp-1615156958011.jpg

Not perfect, but I only played with it for 5 min. The tools are pretty easy to use though, I think I'll have a lot of fun with this!

I had to run them through my favorite pic tools app ( "PicTools" ) afterwards to get the file format I wanted and down the size, but it works fine with minimal adds.

Thinking I might start taking several photos of days events or places , run through a colage maker, and put that with the days knives... or visa versa.

A play of contrasts... I'll likely just tote the little one though ;)
sB4k3x5l.jpg
Nice Bowie! I could have used that splitting kindling for the smoker, but settled for my old Winchester carpenter’s hatchet.
I like how they make use of the prunings, rather than burning them.
Stakes, beanpoles, etc.
Be sure to show us your new cudgel, my friend.

View attachment 1523005 View attachment 1523006
A little late getting the meat on the smoker. One of the joys of owning a house is keeping an eye on your sump pump during spring thaw. Checked it before bed last night, and sure enough, Dead. Turned out that my outlet hose had developed a sag, so water had not been flowing, so I had about six feet of solid ice to melt out of there. Trying to pump against solid ice, of course burned up the pump. Oh well, we got eight years out of it.

@5K Qs ~ appreciate your kind comments, Gary!
Glad you got to visit your flea market, steamed up glasses notwithstanding. Our big local one was this weekend, and I’d fantasized about going but sump pump repairs put that to bed.
Knives there are either proudly priced, or junk, but I like to poke around for old USA made hand tools. Usually good deals to be had.
Actually, to be fair, in the last two years, I did find an old Camillus stockman for six bucks, and a Camillus carpenter’s whittler for 10.

Last edited:
Been experimenting with using a farmer for my weekend knife. Came in handy last weekend working in the back yard. Have to see how it works just around the house. I do enjoy the thicker, pointier main blade compared to the regular SAKs. I can say that the reamer works well for making holes in leather, as I was fussing with a piece of leather for a project today.
D4boKqH.jpg
It’s sure hard to argue against having a Swiss Army Knife, with your choice of tools on you no matter what other knife(s) you might be totin. I don’t have an Alox model, but that Farmer would be at top of my list.
Good for you finding a leather project. My last one involved a belt that somehow got shorter!

Nice Bowie! I could have used that splitting kindling for the smoker, but settled for my old Winchester carpenter’s hatchet.

Very nice looking axehead! You were probably better off with the hatchet--that V44 is the lt version, 3/16ths stock. It'll get the job done, but an axe is tough to beat.

I did a little splitting too, but with my H&B forge Goshawk. Hand forged and finished...

ZORDaTFl.jpg

UZcru2wl.jpg

tmPtLLzl.jpg

Very nice looking axehead! You were probably better off with the hatchet--that V44 is the lt version, 3/16ths stock. It'll get the job done, but an axe is tough to beat.

I did a little splitting too, but with my H&B forge Goshawk. Hand forged and finished...

ZORDaTFl.jpg

UZcru2wl.jpg

tmPtLLzl.jpg
That thing is pretty cool. Tomahawk after growth hormones!

Back