What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Spending some quality time with a G.Wines lambfoot this afternoon as we go through the bonding phase
Put my AW&S lambfoot out to pasture, so to speak ... for the time being
The 01 Tool Steel on the Wines is giving me fits as I try to get a popping edge raised
Got a Ken Onion Work Sharp, Spyderco Sharp Maker and Lansky Diamond hones
Even have an Arkansas stone I got with a Randall knife ... but not going to break it out
This 01 Tool Steel is giving me fits ... wait, i already said that ... nevermind. Shoot
EDIT: Old Traf Old Traf ... you have a Wines. Any hints and tips to sharpening?
EDIT 2:
And finally got the 01 Tool Steel to come to an understanding
Took the Ken Onion Work Sharp and progression through all the belts though
Saved that as a last resort because I knew it would remove more metal than other methods

@brother Jim

I have a pocket Baryonyx sharpener that I use in front of the tele. I first check that there is no burr, I have had some from AW&S that still had the burr. If there is a burr, start sharpening on that side until the burr is gone and you have begun to rise the burr on the other side. When you have a continuous burr on the other side, make a few light passes on the first side then alternate until there is no burr. The knife should be toothy but sharp enough to cut paper. You will now have set the bevel and you can go up the grits to your desired state.

BTW, I m a 30 year mustang.

@brother Jim

I have a pocket Baryonyx sharpener that I use in front of the tele. I first check that there is no burr, I have had some from AW&S that still had the burr. If there is a burr, start sharpening on that side until the burr is gone and you have begun to rise the burr on the other side. When you have a continuous burr on the other side, make a few light passes on the first side then alternate until there is no burr. The knife should be toothy but sharp enough to cut paper. You will now have set the bevel and you can go up the grits to your desired state.

BTW, I m a 30 year mustang.
Old Traf Old Traf
Thank you sir !!! :)
Mustangs know both sides of the coin and were some of sharpest, fairest, finest sailors I ever served with or for
... unsaddled, devoid of encumbrances characteristic of a novice and the envy of all others :SALUTE:

Took this out of the mailbox and put straight into my pocket. Been wanting this one since I missed the release.
6CxkoMp.jpg

Many thanks JJ, that's another prefect pairing, love the saw-cut bone :cool: :) :thumbsup:
Thank you very much, Jack!!!
Hope everyone has a good week :) I'm starting mine off with a Waynorth Lambsfoot, and a small Ibberson Yachting Knife for Metal Monday :thumbsup:

zlVxp9b.jpg

tua9O06.jpg
The Waynorth lamb is always a fantastic choice, but adding that classic marlin spike/yachting knife certainly rounds out "metal Monday" in excellent form!:cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

View attachment 1544731

We're setting out these Scarlet Oaks for the mother-in-law later this evening. That just might clinch today's 'Darling Son-In-Law Award'. If you can beat it, let me know!

This picture doesn't really do it justice, but the white bone on this 78 is aging like a champ. I've been trying to capture it for the past two days, but no dice yet. I got this 78 on a lark; I thought it was going to be too plain. It's turned me around, though, and it's hands down my favorite GEC (out of the ten patterns I've had in hand).

Very good choice, very tasteful :cool: Ivory Bone for the long run :thumbsup:

Back