What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Headed off to my basketball game, switched out the carry, inspired by Greasepiggy!;):thumbsup:
View attachment 1546725 View attachment 1546726
Those stag Böker Barlows are impressive, guys!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

ozIGTSy.jpg

Fancy-schmancy! :p:p
Congrats on the good-looking whittler! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: FWIW, I like that shield shield. ;)

Case pocket worn 6318 stockman and GEC 74 mustang. The Case was along to take care of any cutting needs, the Mustang was in the pocket just for handling and admiring when I took a lunch breakout work today. :rolleyes: Oh eventually I'll start using it for what it is intended for and not worry about scratches and scars.
View attachment 1546765
Superb pair of knives, Greg; that Case stockman looks great! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Hey Mike, I'll be doing the same tomorrow, plus changing the blade. Never really thought of it as a festival though but I like your attitude and will try and adopt it as I set about the task. :D
How often do you change the mower blade, Greg? I was thinking I really need to pull out a file and sharpen mine this spring, but maybe I ought to replace it. (Or just have two on hand that I can alternate to give me more time to do my less than optimal sharpening jobs. :rolleyes:)

Haven't carried the " Old Girl " for awhile , so gave here a flick on the sharpener and she's good to go .

vyr5H9T.jpg
W:eek:W! That one makes me weak in the knees! What a vintage beauty! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

In my pocket today is this A.Wright & Son (Guardians 19), in Ironwood.;):thumbsup:
One of my favorite BF knife photos, José! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

5K Qs 5K Qs you’re welcome Gary. No, they are just now firing up, too many hens yet to be bred, I think next week will be more productive (hope it will be!). Worked one hard for nearly an hour and a half but never could get him to commit to being shot. OH
Better luck next turkey trip, Bruce. :)
Hilarious description of your target turkey's problem. :D:thumbsup::D

Gary, truer words were never spoken!
;):thumbsup:
:thumbsup::D

Thanks, GT. I love the lines on that pattern, and Case’s chestnut jigged bone is always top notch:thumbsup:
Totally agree on the chestnut jigged bone! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

That's a beauty, GT. Looks like hard candy. :):thumbsup:
Thanks, John. :) I haven't tried, but I'll bet you could break a tooth on it. ;)

Is Oddball Friday a thing?

AlEeK0t.jpg
Intriguing! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: You could disassemble it and post it again for Take-Apart Tuesday! ;)

That stag Amherst is a beauty, Dwight! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Great to see one of those pop up again!

"cha-ching"
My wife insists on watching a lot of Home and Garden on TV.
Seems everybody uses the phrase "pop of color".
I told my wife that I put a Patent on that phrase and I'm earning money every time someone says it.
So now when she watches it, all she hears from me is "cha-ching"... "cha-ching"... "cha-ching"...
After a while she gets tired of it and lets me change the channel. :D
Your knife may not "pop" (cha-ching), but it sure looks good the way it is. :cool::thumbsup:
Amusing story, John! :p (But remind me never to watch TV with you. :rolleyes:)

So far today:
qPvcvFj.jpg

1PUiyLf.jpg
That bi-color jack is very cool! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Headed out the door pretty soon to go by a niece's house to feed her cat as the niece is out of town this weekend and then on to the Mexican restaurant for lunch and then a quick trip to the Holiday Market for weekend groceries and ice. On a whim, I'm slipping this two-blade Rosewood Lambfoot in my pocket for this journey.

e9z1kcp.jpg
Sounds like a great day, ED! :cool::cool::thumbsup: I had trouble seeing anything after "Mexican restaurant"; haven't had Mexican since this COVID thing started. :(

Thanks for your thoughts my friend :) The Yachting Knife probably was quite posh, yachting is certainly not much of a working-class pastime here! :D Thanks pal! :D We don't have much of a Navy left anymore, but the sea, and an ability to sail it, has certainly been central to our history :) 'Main' in this context, simply means 'sea', as in 'The Spanish Main', or 'the azure main' :thumbsup:
After a good hike today, the first of the year, and a couple of afternoon pints, I'm running on empty here, and struggling to keep my eyes open! :D Had a great day though :) Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend :thumbsup:

My Friday pair :thumbsup:

9twPT52.jpg

9sQSFzW.jpg

bT6gLDq.jpg
Thanks for the info on "main", Jack. :)
Glad you had a good hike, and that HHB/Farmer pairing would be tough to beat IMHO! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Can you briefly share one of the SAK "Tips, Tricks, & Uses" from your book? ;)

Been this one the last few days. Not exactly a greening spring yet, but we're definitely melting out!
How many hours of daylight do you have at this time of year? You get some long days by the time June rolls around, right?

Splendid photo of what looks like a fabulous knife, Jake! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

#35 Churchill in the back pocket and a Klaas whittler in the watch pocket today. Have a fine spring weekend Ladies & Gents. :)
View attachment 1547374
Pair of aces for the win! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

This evening’s light carry
View attachment 1547392
A great one to all:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Dripping with nostalgia! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

View attachment 1547396
I’ve had a house finch hanging around my homemade birdfeeders so I decided to buy a thistle seed feeder today when I was picking up some safflower seed. Set the oriole feeder out too. I’ll probably start putting orange slices out next weekend.
Are these birds that will be around all summer, or are you providing food for migratory birds just passing through?

Sublime Churchill, Steve! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nice carry. EC at the Royal Albert Hall was the first proper gig I ever went to, at age 11. I remember queuing with my dad for what seemed like half a day to buy the tickets, pestering him the whole time to allow me to go too, he said no. Then at Christmas, I followed a treasure hunt finding clues and picking up a machinists rule and a rod on a handle, the penultimate clue led me to a small treasure chest with the final clue inside. The chest appeared empty and the clue stated something along the lines of ‘you now have everything you need to find your present’ after some head scratching, I figured out the floor was twice as thick as the walls and there was a small hole in the underside of the chest, pushing the rod tool through the hole raised the false floor revealing my Eric Clapton concert ticket!! We had pretty good seats about 15 rows back, but halfway through the show, you were allowed to stand and all of a sudden it felt like we were in row 50, all of a sudden, a security guard beckoned me over and took me right to the front and centre just feet away from Eric (my Father had had a word before the show it turns out), a life changing moment that inspired my life as a musician.
Clapton is a rock star, but your dad is the real star of this story; great memories! :):thumbsup::cool:

- GT

Thanks for the info on "main", Jack. :)
Glad you had a good hike, and that HHB/Farmer pairing would be tough to beat IMHO! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Can you briefly share one of the SAK "Tips, Tricks, & Uses" from your book? ;)

A pleasure Gary, I was so tired when I read your post, I had to wait until the next day to recall the meaning! It was sort of fizzing at the edge of my brain! :D I'm not sure if it's in there, but good advice would be to clean your SAK now and then! :eek: After seeing that pic, I gave my Farmer a good clean! :D Flicking through the book, (a birthday gift I haven't yet read), many of the tips and tricks appear to be things you could do with virtually any knife. A random tip though, is using the corkscrew of your SAK, if it has one, for loosening knots :thumbsup:

I hope you're better behaved than my old cat when the vet would check her ears for mites! Good luck!

I'm starting the week with a Queen. Hoping for the best.
JYbzlam.jpg
Oh, I’m very cooperative and well behaved. No mites or other vermin, as far as I know.

Hey~ that’s a fine whittler there!

Intriguing! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: You could disassemble it and post it again for Take-Apart Tuesday!
It is called a take-apart knife, but I've never take-aparted it. ;) I think putting it back together would be more challenging than with a modern knife. I bought it without box or papers, although I could probably google a copy of the instructions.
As I've often said, I'm very artsy-craftsy, but not mechanically inclined.

Missing for two years. Found last night!
Got a few of these Camillus #69's but this one disappeared a while back.
It fell out of a recliner while moving it from basement to upper floor.
It has a lot of pepper spots now but other than that it's good!
Reunited. Third from the top.
iPpHCQw.jpg

eTZsc1L.jpg

zNlpe1O.jpg

13mhg6V.jpg

Last edited:
B Bloefield glad you found your lost knife, always glad when one makes it back home. Funny about Camillus of that era and the identical Kabar's Camillus built on the same patterns - mine have all developed lots of pepperspots, big and small. Wonder exactly what steel they used as it does sharpen keen and quick. OH

Kabar 1108 - same Premium Stockman knife as yours and hardly ever used.
Kabar-1108-Premium-Stockman.jpg

Kabar 1081 Medium Stockman, heavily used for about six years, really discolored. Not used any harder than similar sized Schrade USA and Case knives of the same era but they don't discolor like these do. OH
Kabar_1081_-_ARNG_1998-2005.jpg

I'll be Totin' these Two for Tuesday...
70's Case Whittler and Rosewood Lamb.

I will also be carrying this to Show and Tell.
Just received this gift from Greg @sunknife :cool::thumbsup:
He knew I like whimsical knives and old Western movies.
I'm super excited to have this, it's really fun and very well made.
The only problem is... Now I want more. Will try to hunt down a Lone Ranger and Red Ryder.
Thanks again, Greg. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back