What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Heritage & rooster-33 - 1.jpeg
That Schatt has old world charm... Beautiful. 🤠 :thumbsup:

Today was a banner day for mail. Just in from Texas is this vintage Schrade+ Old Timer 5OT U.S.A. made lockback.
Not a very desirable knife as far as most knife collectors go, but a 5OT was once my EDC and this carries me back like an old friend with fond memories.
Been almost 30yrs since a 5OT dropped into my pocket ... problem corrected ... life is good :)

Knife looks carried and lightly used but doesn't look to have ever been sharpened. As if someone only carried it until it got a little dull.
Metal edges and ridges here and there are still sharp like right out of the box and it has that wonderful *SNICK* on lockup.

zcnrj8S.jpg

Quick question(s):

I see a lot of beautiful knife slips on here... It has got me thinking - does it make a difference carry-wise? (I mean, sure, I guess it would protect the knife from the keys in the pocket). I imagine that it is a much slower process to get a knife out and ready to use. My biggest reservation, however, is that with any leather belt sheath I have had, I have noticed that humidity and moisture can get trapped and tend to invite rust spots - does this happen in the slip too?

Just thinking about getting one and wanted to see the pros/cons from you guys who use/don't use them. So in short: why get a slip for my knife?

Please and thanks!
B BrotherJim alluded to this, but oil tanned leather is ok for knives, chrome tanned not.

I have a couple of slips, but only use with a couple of relics on which I want to take extra care with the bone. Orherwise, I find that they just get in the way of pulling out my knife.
Keep in mind that most if not all of my knives are users. I keep them sharp and oiled, and use them as often as needed.

Others have pristine collectibles, keep the factory edge, never use/cut, and always carry them in slips in order to prevent even the slightest scratch. And some do indeed sharpen those collectibles but a slip protects and keeps them new looking. I respect that. They are protecting their investment. And their knives are sure nice to look at.
Wow! Memory lane. I still have the stone, but the yellow and black platic sleeve is lost in the mists if addled memory.

My stone has grooves worn in the edges from sharpening fish hooks.

Quick question(s):

I see a lot of beautiful knife slips on here... It has got me thinking - does it make a difference carry-wise? (I mean, sure, I guess it would protect the knife from the keys in the pocket). I imagine that it is a much slower process to get a knife out and ready to use. My biggest reservation, however, is that with any leather belt sheath I have had, I have noticed that humidity and moisture can get trapped and tend to invite rust spots - does this happen in the slip too?

Just thinking about getting one and wanted to see the pros/cons from you guys who use/don't use them. So in short: why get a slip for my knife?

Please and thanks!
I use Slips a lot for protection of from other items but more importantly for protection from body moisture that will interact with any brass that is in or on the knife . I never leave a knife in a slip over night or a slip in my pocket over night . Let the air dry them out .

Harry

Amir Fleschwund Amir Fleschwund , B BrotherJim JohnDF JohnDF
Old Engineer Old Engineer
Thanks much for the responses 👍. That makes sense regarding the vertical positioning, and I do like the thought of "savoring" the pocketknife experience with the extra step... but all my knives get used without prejudice, stropped, sharpened, (and dropped... more than I'd prefer), etc... and I can only think of one or two that I'd actually keep in a slip for preservation's-sake. But, I may just need to try it out and see if it keeps the sweat off in these hot months. Thanks again - great info and thoughts:)

Last edited:
Quick question(s):

Please and thanks!
I like to use one sometimes. Like the others said, it keeps the knife upright which is nice. Also, I have one that holds a pen which is handy if I don’t have a shirt pocket. I haven’t had problems with rust, but I take my knife out of the slip at night.
I like them because they look great in pictures, but hardly ever use one myself. :eek:

I do use a slip on occasion, because sometimes it's just fun to have one. Like my buddy Jack Black Jack Black says, it's an extra step in enjoying your knife and i can appreciate the craftsmanship as I pull it out of my pocket. Slow down and enjoy your knives.

Also, like B BrotherJim said, they keep your knife vertical in your pocket... which is way more comfortable. When I'm not using a slip, I use a safety pin to create a vertical slip in my pocket... keeps the knife upright.

I haven’t seen the safety pin method before. I may have to try that. I don’t mind a small knife going sideways, but a larger one can get annoying.

This seemed like a good one for a Friday:
PSdvs7i.jpg

The Buck 301 Forum Knife the last few days, I like this one a lot. Been reading the going’s on most days, but haven’t really posted, pretty busy, and carried a non-trad some lately, which is rare for me.

View attachment 1559410
You got a nice example!

Rented a beach condo for three days to celebrate Mother’s Day with my wife.

I brought this Case CV Trapper along. I really enjoy this random jigging, and Case does it well.
7C5B6F4E-79C7-42C8-87CB-2840F4ED4C00.jpeg

You got a nice example!

Rented a beach condo for three days to celebrate Mother’s Day with my wife.

I brought this Case CV Trapper along. I really enjoy this random jigging, and Case does it well.
View attachment 1560103
Love the trapper - good looking knife! That isn't Laguna is it? (I ask not to pry, but it is where I grew up - it looks like some of the lookout points off the residential paths).

Toting these two black composite covered Robeson cutters from the 1920s-30s. :)
Two black beauties there JJ :cool: :) :thumbsup:
When you finish mowing just before the rain starts

R29Jt0G.jpg
That's a nice wee file knife :cool: :thumbsup:
Peanut-ish knife this week is a Case mini copperhead, one of my favorites:
View attachment 1559971

Stag/Horn knife this week is a horn Joker:
View attachment 1559972

Lambsfoot knife this week is a rosewood Hartshead Lambsfoot Barlow that I call LamBarJack:
View attachment 1559983

- GT
Terrific trio GT :cool: :thumbsup:
I use Slips a lot for protection of from other items but more importantly for protection from body moisture that will interact with any brass that is in or on the knife . I never leave a knife in a slip over night or a slip in my pocket over night . Let the air dry them out .

Harry

Amir Fleschwund Amir Fleschwund , B BrotherJim JohnDF JohnDF
Old Engineer Old Engineer
Thanks much for the responses 👍. That makes sense regarding the vertical positioning, and I do like the thought of "savoring" the pocketknife experience with the extra step... but all my knives get used without prejudice, stropped, sharpened, (and dropped... more than I'd prefer), etc... and I can only think of one or two that I'd actually keep in a slip for preservation's-sake. But, I may just need to try it out and see if it keeps the sweat off in these hot months. Thanks again - great info and thoughts:)
I almost always use slips, but it's rarely to protect the knife, since I like my knives to patina, and it's rare that excessive sweating is a problem in Yorkshire :eek: : oldfashionedfriendlyrolleyes: I was admiring the way the stag on one of Pàdruig Pàdruig 's Lambsfoot knife has aged a couple of days ago, and wondering if the stag on mine would have aged better without a slip. I like to protect my trousers from oil, but that's also not a major factor in choosing to put my knives in slips. I have a few nice-looking slips, made by friends here, and admiring their handiwork, and the way the leather is ageing, adds to my enjoyment when I take out my knife. Probably the biggest factor though, is keeping the knife in a vertical position in my pockets. I wear 5.11 pants with small pockets on the front, which I reserve for knives, and other doohickeys, but smaller knives fall horizontally if I don't use a slip. I sometimes carry more than one knife in the same pocket, and like at least one of them to have a slip, otherwise they can get a bit noisy ;) I usually take knives out of the slips at the end of the day, but far from always, and sometimes they've sat in them for weeks without any adverse effects - but these are quality slips, made from good leather, and they're not damp with sweat :) :thumbsup:

Have a great weekend everyone :) I'm carrying two of Charlie's finest :thumbsup:

Rp3AYmQ.jpg

YC0OsBy.jpg

Back