What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

I’m at universal studios today taking my son and his friend for his 13th birthday...brought an inexpensive delrin peanut...they looked it over at security upon entrance and after some unscientific measuring against the the security guards pinky finger (really...it was laughable) they said ok you can keep that. What a joke. Makes me want to boycott places like this...but the kid wanted to go so okeedoke ;)1BE04BD9-5416-42C5-9472-3445276AB28D.jpeg

I’m at universal studios today taking my son and his friend for his 13th birthday...brought an inexpensive delrin peanut...they looked it over at security upon entrance and after some unscientific measuring against the the security guards pinky finger (really...it was laughable) they said ok you can keep that. What a joke. Makes me want to boycott places like this...but the kid wanted to go so okeedoke ;)View attachment 1564607
Sounds like an otherwise outstanding day !!! ... you couldn't get by the sheriff's deputy at the courthouse metal detector here, with that Peanut ... don't ask me how I know ;)

Nice selection for work knives. 🤠
Thanks. I'll clean the Lambsfoot off before using it at dinner. ;)
WHAT-A-KNIFE ... I too smiled so hard when I saw them ... HAD to have one :D
Your Saturday choices are perfect for outdoor piddling around !!! ... and I admire your sharpening technique. Looks so even and consistent. NICE
Thank you. Piddling around is right. Aside from watering the garden, and pulling a few weeds around the baby fig tree, I didn't do much work.
No, that makes sense. The Whaler definitely makes people smile.

That is a nice trio of users you have with you today. It looks like you are doing some gardening next to your fig tree. We have two fig trees in our yard.

I switched to a smaller knife this afternoon.
oe3sGw1.jpg
Thanks. The fig tree is new. I realized if I'm going to bother planting and watering anything it has to have food potential. I like flowers and such, but I'm not as motivated to remember to weed and water.

That's a classy #13 Whittler.

Opinel no6
Happy Saturday to you all!!

I love this little knife, but this is the first time carrying it since getting "bitten" when going to fish it out of the pocket about 10 months ago (it now stays in my waterfowl/Upland/Fly-fishing backpack).

The opinel collar is getting too loose that it allows the knife tip to slip out and open a bit in the pocket🙄

Last edited:
Also - I am having a hard time adding just the picture... the link I paste in the post brings in a full page from Imgur. I think I am doing something wrong (thanks in advance to anyone who has a suggested fix).

Also - I am having a hard time adding just the picture... the link I paste in the post brings in a full page from Imgur. I think I am doing something wrong (thanks in advance to anyone who has a suggested fix).
When in imgur click "direct link". Then click insert image icon above and select "by url". Then paste the link in there. This is what it should look like.

9kGNLqX.jpg

Peanut of the Week is a Case Delrin model in TruSharp that I won in a GAW here (thanks, Cory):
delrin.peanut.mark.2open.deckFord.jpg

Stag/Horn Knife of the Week is a Marbles 5" leg knife that has a stag spacer on the scrimshawed white bone handle:
leg.mark.Vstand.patio.2.jpg

Lambsfoot of the Week is a stag senator I call Man Jack that also happens to be a GAW prize (thanks, Richard):
MJ.pile.Vback.post.jpg

- GT

Peanut of the Week is a Case Delrin model in TruSharp that I won in a GAW here (thanks, Cory):
delrin.peanut.mark.2open.deckFord.jpg

Stag/Horn Knife of the Week is a Marbles 5" leg knife that has a stag spacer on the scrimshawed white bone handle:
leg.mark.Vstand.patio.2.jpg

Lambsfoot of the Week is a stag senator I call Man Jack that also happens to be a GAW prize (thanks, Richard):
MJ.pile.Vback.post.jpg
Definitely three beauties for you today, Gary; those beefy stag covers on your "Man Jack" are super cool! :cool: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Stagurday down at the pond with this Obsidian Bowie
And at the hard to see Boll Weevil monument ...
Smack dab in the middle of the street in downtown beautiful Enterprise Alabama

PqCW6U2.jpg

dx8RiBx.jpg

a4s2PJd.jpg

EDIT: Found pictures of the Boll Weevil Monument ...

XIDsW3Y.jpg

mTL3jl8.jpg

Awesome knife! And isn’t it nice living in smalltown USA where you can pull out your belt knife for a photo without somebody calling Homeland Security?
The Boll Weevil statue sent me to the internet. Cool story!

I found an article from the Smithdonian about it, Although the author doesn’t know that “decimated” means to take away ten percent, not a more emphatic version of “devastated”. The article says boll weevils destroyed thirty percent of cotton crops. That’s more worser than a decimation. :)

Opinel no6

I love this little knife, but this is the first time carrying it since getting "bitten" when going to fish it out of the pocket about 10 months ago (it now stays in my waterfowl/Upland/Fly-fishing backpack).

The opinel collar is getting too loose that it allows the knife tip to slip out and open a bit in the pocket🙄
You could try:

~ soaking the wood to swell it up
~ cram a piece of flat toothpick under the ring
~ squeeze the ring with the curved part of the jaws of a pair of Channel-Locks. Pad it with a scrap of leather so you don’t chew it up
~ peen the ring tighter with a hammer

Anyway, how do you like that #6?
I used a #7 all afternoon yesterday cutting baling twine while lashing up my tomato supports. Simply wonderful knives!

Edit: since you said you love it, I guess you like it ok! I meant to ask if the smaller size works ok for you...

Last edited:
View attachment 1564758

View attachment 1564759

View attachment 1564763

- GT
Nice trio today, Gary!
I concur with JJ’s approval of that stag. Great contrast between white and brown bark.

Awesome knife! And isn’t it nice living in smalltown USA where you can pull out your belt knife for a photo without somebody calling Homeland Security?
The Boll Weevil statue sent me to the internet. Cool story!

I found an article from the Smithdonian about it, Although the author doesn’t know that “decimated” means to take away ten percent, not a more emphatic version of “devastated”. The article says boll weevils destroyef thirty percent of cotton crops. That’s more worser than a decimation. :)
Yep, plenty of folks all round when I pulled that big Obsidian Bowie out ... and traffic too. No one ... and I mean no one ... even gave a second look LOL. Was just some old guy taking a picture.

The Boll Weevil forced farmers around here to switch to mostly peanut farming rather than cotton. Less crop damage and more profitable. Yet, there is still plenty of cotton grown around here too. But at the end of the day, they were so appreciative of the Boll Weevil, they built a monument ... in the middle of the dang street HA !!! The monument has been vandalized over the decades and the one there now is an exact copy of the original which is now housed in the Railroad Depot Museum. The original was stolen from the middle of the street at one point and missing for a good time before it turned up. It's not that anyone had anything against the monument or anything ... just kids doing stupid stuff. At least 4 cameras mounted high on the buildings on the corners, keep watch over the monument now days.

Last edited:
Opinel no6

You could try:

~ soaking the wood to swell it up
~ cram a piece of flat toothpick under the ring
~ squeeze the ring with the curved part of the jaws of a pair of Channel-Locks. Pad it with a scrap of leather so you don’t chew it up
~ peen the ring tighter with a hammer
Or go the lazy route and just wrap a rubber band around the handle. :)
You can just copy the Linked BBCode and past it directly into your message.

I found an article from the Smithdonian about it, Although the author doesn’t know that “decimated” means to take away ten percent, not a more emphatic version of “devastated”. The article says boll weevils destroyef thirty percent of cotton crops. That’s more worser than a decimation. :)
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a problem with that.
ktvLQ8i.jpg

Back