What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Went fishing with the fam today after church. Had this one along for the ride.

Kpdcvem.jpg

Also, mine is a bit odorous. Not a good quality stain and varnish odor, something stinkier. Just an FYI for anyone that might be affected by bad odors.
Glad I don't have a strong sense of smell. But since you mentioned it, mine does have an odor but I don't find it overpowering or unpleasant. And pretty sure it will diminish after a couple/few days out of the box. Maybe it just didn't attract my attention. But I can understand someone with a better sense of smell than I have, might think otherwise. When I tried to smell it a moment ago, seemed strongest on the inside. Wonder if it's maybe some glue they might have used in construction or to hold the felt down?

EDIT: They had a display tool chest out at the store, with the remainder of inventory ... boxed and in the back store room. I guess a smell test of the displayed tool chest would indicate how well the odor dissipates over time.

Last edited:
Glad I don't have a strong sense of smell. But since you mentioned it, mine does have an odor but I don't find it overpowering or unpleasant. And pretty sure it will diminish after a couple/few days out of the box. Maybe it just didn't attract my attention. But I can understand someone with a better sense of smell than I have, might think otherwise. When I tried to smell it a moment ago, seemed strongest on the inside. Wonder if it's maybe some glue they might have used in construction or to hold the felt down?

EDIT: They had a display tool chest out at the store, with the remainder of inventory ... boxed and in the back store room. I guess a smell test of the displayed tool chest would indicate how well the odor dissipates over time.

Not sure if it is glue, stain, varnish, felt-like material or a combination. I didn't notice any odor with the display. Mine came in a plastic bag inside the box, so it didn't have a chance to do any dissipation before I opened it. My whole apartment stinks. Hoping it doesn't take too long to air out. If it does I might take it to my storage room, pull the drawers, and let everything sit for a week or three.

Very fine example too! These are an excellent knife: sleek, peerless construction, light in the pocket and very practical- big fan here.

Thanks, Will
Thanks, Will. I’m very pleased with the one I got. Though I’ve never had a custom knife, that one is what I think a custom would be like.

I carried this one today, working around the house.

RdGM6LC.jpg

Great pic as always! Boker did a nice job on the Nessmi Pro. When I finally found a Solingen Nessmi I gifted my Pro to my youngest son, along with the book "Canoeing the Adirondacks with Nessmuk" . He and his young family spend a lot of time in Nessmuk's old haunts in the Adirondacks. He loves the knife and the stories.

Wow! Looks like a great time! Happy Birthday, Scout!

We took our 3 grandkids to the Dinosaur Safari at the NYS Fairgrounds yesterday, followed by a picnic. George will be 5 the end of May. My DIL texted us later that he told his mom, "this was the greatest day ever". Choked me right up!
It hardly matters what knives I was carrying, but it happened to be these.

71jS0eW.jpg
Nice post Gary :) :thumbsup:
Gorgeous Lamb, Jack. 🤠:thumbsup:

My Sunday Totes...
Thanks pal, that looks like another great pairing :) :thumbsup:
I don't use it often either, but it just feels right to have a pruner when doing garden chores. It's a very handy size and does a great job opening bags of potting soil.

:):thumbsup:

It's a rainy Sunday, so I should do a few inside chores. Or I'll just relax; I haven't decided yet.
UfTCruj.jpg
Sounds much like my Sunday Rachel, I didn't leave the house at all :rolleyes: ;):thumbsup:
Thanks a lot, Jack!!!

You have a mighty fine pairing, today; your Damascus Lamb is certainly a handsome "Sunday-go-to-meeting" tote! 😁 :cool: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
These two Schrades ended up in my pocket as Sunday slicers. :)
Thank you kindly good sir, two stunning Schrades for Sunday :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Hey Gary. I think capacity depends on so many variables. Some keep knives in original boxes and tubes, others might not want their knives to contact each other when not in the package and still others might just pile as many in as they can. Hard to say what the capacity would be. I think everyone is a little different in how they handle their collection of knives and even groups of knives within a collection. Really all I can say about capacity is that I'm not disappointed at all in any way with the capacity. I'm thrilled the books fit in there and all my folders. I figured it might be close and honestly there is a tad bit more room in the chest than "i" expected.

The drawers operate quite smoothly. There are however, no metal drawer rails. It's wood drawers on wood rails. Even if there were ever a drawer bind in any way (don't expect any), and since it's wood on wood ... maybe a little smudge of candle wax on the rails should lubricate and smooth things out.

EDIT: Maybe one other thing worth noting about the chest is that the top tray drawer and the panel covering the drawers ... EACH have a separate lock. So, there are two locks on the chest and they are keyed differently. Takes two different keys to fully unlock the chest ... but I only keep the panel covering the drawers locked, more to stabilize the panel in an upright, vertical position than anything else. Although it seems to stay upright and closed even when not locked ... so time will tell if I continue to even lock the panel.
I'm not sure. As Jim mentioned - variable. I'd imagine if you wanted to take the time to try various configurations to get max fit, it would hold quite a few.

The 6 smaller drawers aren't very tall, so you'd be height-limited (backspring to tallest part of blade) in those.

On mine, the drawers aren't sticky, but they aren't what I'd call smooth. It is easy to cant them to the side and get them to stick. No stops, they pull all the way out of the box. I'll let everything wear in for a while and make any needed lube/ smoothing/ adjusting later.

Also, mine is a bit odorous. Not a good quality stain and varnish odor, something stinkier. Just an FYI for anyone that might be affected by bad odors.
Thanks for the helpful replies to my questions, guys! :) :thumbsup::cool:
I might head to HF with a handful of knives of various sizes to try some in-person "capacity tests".

- GT

View attachment 1565472

Pulled some more radishes and my daughter helped me cut out the spinach. We ended up with three big bowls since they’ve been neglected. Hard to tell, but they were starting to put the squeeze on the carrots in between.
We put in six tomato plants and three cucumbers as well. Trying some bagged fertilizer (basically chicken poop) this year instead of my typical 32-0-0 that I pull from the farm. We’ll see how it goes, I may sidedress them with some diluted N still.
When I harvest spinach, I know I can snap them off just as easily by hand. But that’s for the people who don’t carry a good knife.
Love to see that farmer’s jack in a farmer’s hand doing farmer things.

Back