What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

yMmx7wU.jpg
Really digging that zarape classic. Need to grab one if I run accross one!

These two for FD. The Eureka was my first GEC given by my father-in-law. I always remember him when I carry it. I honor him today and blame him for getting me into this crazy knife hobby! The Barlow was a FD gift from my kids last year. They have lovely taste!

Couple of great gifts from family members, Jon! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Mom’s with my sister for the rest of the day as candles have been lit and visitations are over. Having had our hearty lunch-breakfast in honour of a man and a 1/2….
I’m… well… Un-chained!!
To the present…
In the hot-tub a couple of Towns over with one of my oldest pals (met at 4 yrs.) More bud’s joinin’ later on for dinner and the good ‘ole Hockey game. In a group of five that basically have been hangin’ since forever… we’re either Montreal, or Boston fans… YES in Toronto LOL, and carrying this for the rest of the day.
View attachment 1586283
Sure hope everyone’s day is as sweet as mine 🤘 :cool:🤘
Sounds like you had a heckuva day, Gus; that's a rousing red Robeson! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

My Sunday totes are a Swiss Scout and a slicey CJ Barlow. :)
That CJ is a Charismatic Jack, JJ! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Sunday Afternoon
Buck 501 Squire Black Linen Micarta S35VN
And the angels sing ... I heard 'em singin'

UFuqkoI.jpg
Knife and sculpture are both works of art, Jim! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Back home after a weekend in South Dakota. Had to throw some Barlows in my pocket. A red one and a brown one... 😉
Barlow bonanza, Taylor! :thumbsup::cool::cool:
But now I'm confused about your weekend. I thought you were at a wedding in Sioux City; were you in Iowa, or South Dakota, or both?? o_O;)

Very cool. 🤠 :thumbsup:
I got a Big Foot shirt for Fathers Day. :)
Congrats on the mythical shirt, John! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Carried these at various times last week in Tennessee. The 110 and 29 make for a useful selection of blades:
View attachment 1586543

These three are all great knives:
View attachment 1586546

One day I pulled out my very seldom used Garmin GPS unit and discovered a knife I thought I had lost. I haven't used the Garmin in probably close to a year. I have no clue why the Leatherman was in the Garmin pouch View attachment 1586562Always cool when something lost suddenly returns View attachment 1586566
View attachment 1586567
Bunch of terrific traveling knives, and congrats on finding your Juice! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Have a great week folks :) Starting mine off with my pocket-hogging Hartshead Barlow, and a Metal Monday Ruler Knife by Joseph Westby :thumbsup:

HyOnXZw.jpg

sFX1y6l.jpg
Premium pair, Jack! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I carry today this GEC 83 in Ebony wood.

I've enjoyed seeing the new run of GEC 83s recently, but your distinguished ebony version can't be beat, José! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Nice classic! I have the alox minichamp which I find to be quite useful to keep in my truck. The thing is tiny but has a million tools on it.
I'm a Minichamp fan, too. :cool::cool::thumbsup: I don't have the Alox model, but I carry my red one every day, and use it almost every day. Ink pen, scissors, little Wharncliffe blade, and file probably get the most use.

Excellent knife, Alan, and an intriguing photo with some kind of unusual "texture"! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

View attachment 1586739
Moose Monday, so it’s Moose ‘n a Voos for me.View attachment 1586740
Pure poetry, Jeff! :cool::cool:;) That Voos is vivacious!

Today’s carry is fresh out of the mail box…
My first STA-SHARP that seems to be Camillus made with a kool blade etch.
View attachment 1586746
A great Monday and week to all :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Congrats on the new acquisition, Gus! You sure are a successful knife hunter! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks Gary! :D Just finished off another staff :) :thumbsup:
NWmcuZo.jpg
Your new walking staff looks fantastic, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Did you get the smooth finish using just your HHB, or did you sand it as a final step?

Goat horn Middle East friction folder.

View attachment 1586767
Unusual and intriguing knife! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

😁:thumbsup:

Thanks, Gary. I've got a new rosemary in a planter to replace the frozen one.
This weekend I noticed couple of green fronds coming up from the sago palm. I'll have to trim away the dead stuff, but it's prickly stuff and I'm waiting for a cool spell so I can wear long sleeves. So...maybe in October. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the horticultural update, Rachel. Is your planter portable so that you can bring it indoors if the weather gets too cold?

Yeah, that wouldn’t be good Gary, you’d have to let out those suspenders a bit! 😂

The credit goes to Rachel! 😊

I’ve read that they are good for digging out the bowl if you are carving a wooden spoon. I’ve not done that, but it seems reasonable. I think you could do a whole salad bowl with the large one, it’s a big dude! 😉
I carry a lot of weight in knives, so I don't want to carry excess belly fat! 🤪:D
I haven't tried using a cotton sampler for spoon-making, but I'll bet that would work. I like using a stockman for whittling because the spey blade is reasonably good at digging/scooping.

Thank you, GT. :)
I like that the handles are s bit thicker.
I don't like that the clip blade is a bit thinner... prefer a full clip blade.
Thanks for the report on your medium stockman, John. :thumbsup::) I like the look of a full clip blade, but in actual use I do just as well with the "skinny" clip, and I usually prefer the more slender profile a knife with the skinny clip has.

I'm carrying this SOG Stingray today just as it appears in this picture and have carried it every day since about 1992 except when we've flown somewhere, or couldn't carry a knife - courthouse for example. It won Best Imported Knife at Blade Show in 1989. The Kraton covers wore off years ago. It is stout as all get out. I have three of them but carry this one. It's like an old friend that makes you feel at ease when they're around.

View attachment 1586822

Here's one of the others I have - brand new never carried. Don't really know why I don't switch it out with the worn one - guess I find it hard to abandon an old friend.

View attachment 1586825

Of course I carry at least one other knife besides the SOG every day, sometimes two or three but I've always got the ole SOG in my left front pocket.
I admire your loyalty to your old Stingray, ED! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

View attachment 1586835Been in Texas for the last week or so both on holiday and for a conference. I’ve had my Ritchie Zulu the whole time. It’s the perfect knife.
That's quite a testimonial, Joshua! 😲:thumbsup::cool: Glad you could find a knife that pleases you so much!

Long may it be so Gary! :D I haven't seen the single-blade versions. Sorry about that, I try to make my posts as accessible as possible, but that's something I wasn't aware of! :D :) Thanks my friend :) :thumbsup:
It's not often that I can teach anyone anything about international relations, Jack! :rolleyes:😁

I toted my Grohmann Bird and Trout very briefly today for a photo op :thumbsup: ;)

Pj5GzPL.jpg
Your photo bowled me over, Dan; astounding! 😲o_O:thumbsup::cool:

- GT

Your new walking staff looks fantastic, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Did you get the smooth finish using just your HHB, or did you sand it as a final step?
Thanks a lot Gary :) I de-barked it, rounded off the top end, and whittled the bottom end for a ferrule, with my Hartshead Barlow, but I used several grades of sandpaper after that, then 2 coats of sanding sealer, both rubbed down, 3 coats of Danish oil (the first one rubbed down slightly), then a final layer of coloured wax, and a good polish :thumbsup:

Greg, that is a really fine knife! Just beautiful bone.
Is it the same pattern as a Camillus 72?
Thanks, Jeff. No, it's a Case 6383 pattern in chestnut bone, although I did give it a dye job in some red Rit a few months back. It never occurred to me before but it does resemble a Camillus 72 when blades are closed, same style shield. :thumbsup::thumbsup:View attachment 1587809

Couple of great gifts from family members, Jon! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Sounds like you had a heckuva day, Gus; that's a rousing red Robeson! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That CJ is a Charismatic Jack, JJ! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Knife and sculpture are both works of art, Jim! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Barlow bonanza, Taylor! :thumbsup::cool::cool:
But now I'm confused about your weekend. I thought you were at a wedding in Sioux City; were you in Iowa, or South Dakota, or both?? o_O;)

Congrats on the mythical shirt, John! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Bunch of terrific traveling knives, and congrats on finding your Juice! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I've enjoyed seeing the new run of GEC 83s recently, but your distinguished ebony version can't be beat, José! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I'm a Minichamp fan, too. :cool::cool::thumbsup: I don't have the Alox model, but I carry my red one every day, and use it almost every day. Ink pen, scissors, little Wharncliffe blade, and file probably get the most use.

Excellent knife, Alan, and an intriguing photo with some kind of unusual "texture"! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Pure poetry, Jeff! :cool::cool:;) That Voos is vivacious!

Congrats on the new acquisition, Gus! You sure are a successful knife hunter! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Unusual and intriguing knife! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the horticultural update, Rachel. Is your planter portable so that you can bring it indoors if the weather gets too cold?

I carry a lot of weight in knives, so I don't want to carry excess belly fat! 🤪:D
I haven't tried using a cotton sampler for spoon-making, but I'll bet that would work. I like using a stockman for whittling because the spey blade is reasonably good at digging/scooping.

Thanks for the report on your medium stockman, John. :thumbsup::) I like the look of a full clip blade, but in actual use I do just as well with the "skinny" clip, and I usually prefer the more slender profile a knife with the skinny clip has.

I admire your loyalty to your old Stingray, ED! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

That's quite a testimonial, Joshua! 😲:thumbsup::cool: Glad you could find a knife that pleases you so much!

It's not often that I can teach anyone anything about international relations, Jack! :rolleyes:😁

Your photo bowled me over, Dan; astounding! 😲o_O:thumbsup::cool:

- GT
Thanks GT! Can’t beat a day that starts with a dose of GT encouragement!

5K Qs 5K Qs
Yes indeed Gary! a fun time by all was had… the strawberry red stockman didn’t help with the good ‘ole hockey game as Montreal lost, still great to have on hand as always though.
I’ve been searching lately for some scores and have had a few great ones to be sure. Patience is always a virtue isn’t it!!

Today’s easy carry doesn’t come out very often, a little more cherry pickin’ today… Winch’ Wendesday if you will.
E88CFFFB-E428-49D8-BEF1-E74078228EF9.jpeg
A great one to all :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

5K Qs 5K Qs
Yes indeed Gary! a fun time by all was had… the strawberry red stockman didn’t help with the good ‘ole hockey game as Montreal lost, still great to have on hand as always though.
I’ve been searching lately for some scores and have had a few great ones to be sure. Patience is always a virtue isn’t it!!

Today’s easy carry doesn’t come out very often, a little more cherry pickin’ today… Winch’ Wendesday if you will.
View attachment 1587822
A great one to all :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
As hard as we tried to prevent it, the birds took out 90 percent of our stella cherries this year - glad you were able to harvest yours:). Great pic👍 and at least your Canadiens are in playoffs... the Sharks have been a bit of a disappointment all season 🙄
I sure hope that Montreal can beat those knights!! 🥳

Last edited:
Rubythroat Rubythroat
Thank you!!
Sorry to hear that my friend, and if I wasn’t almost always by this cherry tree as I take care of Mom day & nite, the squirrels, raccoons and birds would have had this year’s 30% rendering. That cold blast hurt both trees this year, including the apricot, with only the apple tree seemingly unscathed.

Back