What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Well covered for Wooden Wednesday today. Halfway to the weekend :)

wt4YZXc.jpg

Exhausting trip to Redding, CA yesterday (very hot), with long stops for road construction so, this morning were going for a pick-me-up breakfast at the Wagon Wheel Cafe - chopped New York Strip Steak and Eggs (they chop my steak so I can gum it - they're good to me) and a piece of pie. I'm gonna stick with my Single Blade Sowbelly today.

1624457279731.png

So good to be back (~);-}

let me start by saying, I really missed this place and all the folks here on the porch and the other places I liked to go on BFC. Thanks also for all the warm welcome back DMs and PMs and comments, I appreciate them and all the fine folks and friends I have here in the community, Thank You.

Today’s favorite pocket toy is courtesy of Seas165, thank you for the knife, I wasn’t sure whether I was gonna warm up to it but I did. What’s not to love about this precision made modern rendition of a classic Traditional pattern.
I mean this knife was liked well enough by this community that it became the 2020 Traditional Forum’s annual knife.

I didn’t want to like this knife, it’s unAmerican ;) I really had nothing against it. I’d just never had a knife from them before. Thanks to Kevin’s generosity I now have one to add to the Traditional Forum’s annual knife collection and it’s amazingly a really good knife.

I don’t know much about the steel, M390 but I’ll find out. Turns out that like all the Forum knives, the collective wisdom of all involved with the choosing and getting it into everyone’s hands knew what they were doing.

Like all the Forum knives, this one will see plenty of pocket time and daily use. One last tip of the hat to Kevin, (Seas165) for his generous gift and contributing to one of only 2 complete sets of all the BFC Traditional Forum’s annual knife collections.

One more pic of this beautiful Swayback and the other Swaybacks in my collection.

1950s Charles Marcel (Pradel) L'Ours (The Bear)

View attachment 1587886
One of the few penny/$ knives I’ve never owned, I’ve owned a few of the Mercator knives of similar construction. Seems I can never hang onto one for myself.

Usually these knives are well made but were budget priced to put a decent knife into everyone’s pockets no matter what their economic status was.

Just for those reasons, when someone needs a knife that doesn’t normally carry but should, it’s usually the knife I give them. I’ve had about a 1/2 dozen Mercators over the last 40 or so years and managed to give them all away. Lol

I'm carrying my BF 2020 knife on me today in solidarity of all those fine men and women who are voting HEMLOCK! Only kidding. This new knife is going to be a stunner regardless of what color we go with.

Sowbelly Stockman this week is a Chinese Imperial with cracked ice covers:
imp.sow.mark.closed.pencup.jpg

Regular stockman is a Rough Rider medium stockman with an incredibly pleasant profile:
redmed.mark.open.rock.jpg

Budget canoe this week is a RR amber jigged bone model, the first canoe I ever handled and the one that hooked me on the pattern:
canoe.ajb.closed.jpg

Premium Canoe this week was just a white smooth bone RR budget canoe until r8shell r8shell worked her magic on it and turned it into a priceless memento:
mark.chair.jpg

- GT

Enjoying these two today. A light brown Barlow beauty, paired with a new to me 1979 medium stockman that is pocket worn but nowhere near worn out. I was born in ‘79 and I’d love to see what this one looks like with 42 more years of pocket love. Thanks to Pat huntnfishin huntnfishin for workin up a good deal on some case knives. This one was my favorite.

Great shot sir!

Back