What Upstets Me About Knife Makers!

Oh good. Have watched this thread, but would not comment because it was a bit old. Now that I have had a jump start from pointshoot I will add my humble opinion. OKU came pretty close to nailing it for me as well. I am new to knives and such as I a gun person at heart. Have made my own holsters for years, don't buy any. On custom knives, I think you buy the knife workers skill set, not a leather workers. Just a servicable basic sheath should be offered as a courtesy. If you want something nicer, then maybe the knife maker should have a network of quality sheath makers they can contact to get a sheath made to the buyers specs. Of course that is for an additional fee.
It takes me many hours to make a holster and my work is basic at best, nothing special. The blade maker sells the blade and the sheath maker the sheath. That is the only way I see for the buyer to get just what they want at a price that is appropriate for the caliber of work involved. That is just my opinion of course.

Don`t lump all knifemakers together. I offer leather or kydex for my knives.

As do I. All of my knives come with a sheath. I actually look forward to making the sheath, especially kydex, most of my blades get kydex sheaths. My more classical blades get (not the best looking) but a very sturdy, hand stitched, leather sheath. To me, the sheath is just as important as the knife itself.

Some of the best knife makers in the world are not skilled sheath makers and they admit it.

I have no problem at all with that.

Some of the best knife makers in the world ARE skilled at making sheaths, and it could be argued that they might also be the best sheath makers- for their own knives at least. Just look at someone like Larry Fuegen to see what I mean.

Some knives just aren't meant to be carried, so might not even be sharpened. Jurgen Steineau, another giant in Art knives, falls into that category but I think he's the exception.

I'm glad there is a market for highly skilled craftsmen like Pappy Long, but to me, sheath making rounds out the package and shows that the knife maker has considered how their knife ought to be carried. Given the design of the knife, if the maker hasn't considered how the knife ought to be carried, it makes me wonder if that aspect of the design has been given enough thought and if so, what problems will arise from that lack of thought.

With all that being said, I like making my own sheaths for the knives I collect anyway. Some of the knives I have came with pretty horrendous sheaths, but I'd rather a horrendous sheath than nothing at all.

PS. I should add that it does not 'upset' me that some makers choose not to provide sheaths. If the knife is worth buying, it's worth my time to build a sheath for it

Last edited:
thats why they are knife makers and not sheath makers now get you bad ass sheath maker and you will have the perfect setup dont you think

They offer very nice fixed blade knives and then they offer cheapo sheaths. They should all offer a kydex sheath with a tek-lok with it, otherwise, I have to go looking for sheath maker and the price jumps!

In future I am not buying any more knives unless they do that, no more junk sheaths for me!!

Cordially,

BabyJWuu :mad:

I guess that is your preoigtive but I don't do cheapo knife sheaths, and all mine come with leather sheaths. I won't ship a knife with out a sheath unless the buyer commission's it and he specifically asks for the knife without a sheaath. If you want the plastic look of kydex then you will have to get some one besides me to make a knife for you, as I refuse to do kydex! :D

Last edited:
Godspeed's random thoughts:

1. This thread could've been titled "I hate when new car's come with custom rims?".

2. My only request would be that knifemakers offer a knife with NO sheath whatsoever.

3. There is an entire (albeit small) industry of sheathmakers because it's almost impossible for a manufacturer to make a sheath that everyone would like.... look at the argument of "leather vs kydex" alone. It get's even crazier when it comes to color, firesteel holders, belt loops etc. Too many choices??? maybe but having choices/options makes people happy.

4. I make kydex sheaths.... and I'm glad that "knifemakers" haven't put me out of business... it'll never happen and their doing a good job of keep us (sheathmakers) in business in the first place. Granite countertops, custom rims, custom sheaths, custom paint jobs........ there's "aftermarket" accessories for everything.

5. That's all:)

When I spend my hard earned money on a knife, I want as much knife as I can afford. I can get any sheath I want after I get the blade. I just got into leatherworking and will make my own sheaths. If I need kydex, plenty of guys here can design exactly what I want-not a run of the mill shipped with every knife sheath.

If you are having a knife made- you are doing so because you like options that are not offered in production blades. Options like sheath or no sheath? Leather or kydex, flap, pouch or dangler... If I am commissioning a knife I will look at examples of that mans sheaths, maybe decide to buy the knife with no sheath and have one made by someone else.

I like options.
Bill

Back