What Victorinox is in your pocket?

There I was, minding my own business, when suddenly:

Would that everyone who drooled, drooled like I. As in, didn't. Let alone audibly.

Seems I need to stock up on these today:
head_slap.gif~original

(Is it any wonder Photobucket's alerting me that I'm nearing my bandwidth for the month?!)

:)D)

~ P.

Hahaha.. you should start using dropbox and their "public" folder to upload some pictures up for the rest of the month then

The Compact is probably my favorite model! Awesome

The Compact used to be called the Golfer. Back in about 1991 I bought one for my girlfriend and was impressed with the simple compact design (I was already a fan of the combi tool from my Mauser Officers Knife). As I made a living writing about knives and outdoor stuff at the time, I decided to write a piece on the Golfer. Among other things, I said that I thought the name assigned to it was quite arbitrary, and I didn't know why Victorinox didn't change it. I used the word 'compact' about five or six times in the piece, and a quote containing the word was enlarged, emboldened and inset. The piece was published in the UK's leading knife publication at the time, and I sent a copy to Victorinox's UK dealer, a rather odd outfit, but a company I had regular contact with. Shortly after, Victorinox changed the name of the knife to the Compact. I don't know for certain it was because of my piece, but it was a coincidence. I've still not got round to getting one! :D

My favourite SAK remains my Mauser, which I've had since 1982 :)

The Compact used to be called the Golfer. Back in about 1991 I bought one for my girlfriend and was impressed with the simple compact design (I was already a fan of the combi tool from my Mauser Officers Knife). As I made a living writing about knives and outdoor stuff at the time, I decided to write a piece on the Golfer. Among other things, I said that I thought the name assigned to it was quite arbitrary, and I didn't know why Victorinox didn't change it. I used the word 'compact' about five or six times in the piece, and a quote containing the word was enlarged, emboldened and inset. The piece was published in the UK's leading knife publication at the time, and I sent a copy to Victorinox's UK dealer, a rather odd outfit, but a company I had regular contact with. Shortly after, Victorinox changed the name of the knife to the Compact. I don't know for certain it was because of my piece, but it was a coincidence. I've still not got round to getting one! :D

My favourite SAK remains my Mauser, which I've had since 1982 :)

Jack, I had no idea the Compact was previously called the Golfer. That's an interesting bit of trivia. I often wondered how the Victorinox marketing department decides what to call a particular knife. Some are quite fitting (Tinker, Spartan, Mechanic, etc). However, some of the names still baffle me. For instance, the Climber is really just a Spartan with scissors and a parcel hook. So, what is it about a pair of scissors and a parcel hook that would make you think of climbing?

Regarding your Mauser, I LOVE the old Safari series of Victorinox 108mm. I was sad when they discontinued the series, because I lost my Safari Trooper in my last move. I like the 111mm series and picked up a Forester with black scales, but there was something about the simplicity of that Safari series that I really appreciated. I'm always keeping an eye out at flea markets for those ole red-handled 108s.

Jack, I had no idea the Compact was previously called the Golfer. That's an interesting bit of trivia. I often wondered how the Victorinox marketing department decides what to call a particular knife. Some are quite fitting (Tinker, Spartan, Mechanic, etc). However, some of the names still baffle me. For instance, the Climber is really just a Spartan with scissors and a parcel hook. So, what is it about a pair of scissors and a parcel hook that would make you think of climbing?

Regarding your Mauser, I LOVE the old Safari series of Victorinox 108mm. I was sad when they discontinued the series, because I lost my Safari Trooper in my last move. I like the 111mm series and picked up a Forester with black scales, but there was something about the simplicity of that Safari series that I really appreciated. I'm always keeping an eye out at flea markets for those ole red-handled 108s.

It was in 1991 or '92 tha it was changed. As you say, in some cases the names are fitting, in others they're not. I like the Climber, but could certainly think of something more useful than a parcel hook!

Yes, it was a good solid series, sorry to hear you lost your Safari. When I got my Mauser, I like the idea of having an additional clip-point blade, but it's certainly the blade I've used least over the years. Everything works really well on that knife though, even the awl is the best I've found on any SAK.

Swiss Bianco Victorinox Yeoman Mechanic with Cuscadi lightning strike carbon fibre scales.

Forum will not let me post pics from Tapatalk?

Last edited:
Here's mine. I carry it everyday whenever I leave the house, along with a small Tim Wright fixed blade, a traditional, and once in a while, a small auto. If I ever fell in a lake, I'd go straight to the bottom.
IMG_4899_zpsc0a4c2de.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A Vic Classic is always on my keyring.

None! I have a SAK Classic SD with me all the time but it's in my first aid kit in my bag, not in my pocket. I've got 3 other nice SAKs but so far it's always a Case that goes along for the day.

I decided to dig out my Mini-Champ, give it a good clean, replace the lost toothpick and touch up the edges.

Its clipped on to my trews today.

I never, but never leave the house without my classic. Since it's on my keys, I can't.:D

Little bitty thing does an amazing amount of real world work for it's size.

9134847966_f3ec9732d0_c.jpg

I decided to dig out my Mini-Champ, give it a good clean, replace the lost toothpick and touch up the edges.

Its clipped on to my trews today.

Uh, dumb yank question here, but what are trews? Or do I really want to know?:confused:

Uh, dumb yank question here, but what are trews? Or do I really want to know?:confused:

I think it's just Thom talking about what you would call pants, and most here call trousers. It's a bit Olde-Worlde out in Scruffland! ;) :D

27c28d8d1526616a011f341453adefc1.jpg

Scruff of Scruff Hall ;)

Indeed. With plenty of buckshot to see those unsightly serfs and p(h)easants off.

"Pass me the Holland Jeeves, here comes another one!"

I sense another round of highland clearances coming on, grab your pitch forks and peat cutters!

Back