What was the first pocket knife you bought?

The first knife I bought with my own money, was a small Laguiole Rossignol with a Rosewood handle. Must have been around 1985. I still have it, but have not used it in years.
ycg21t2.jpg

The blade has some wear on it, but it's sharpened and ready for cutting.
WAp82xJ.jpg

Mid 70s Buck 110.

best

mqqn

My first knife was a buck folder given at age 8 and lost fishing a few years later and didn't own a pocket knife again until about 25 and I bought a leatherman C33L 420HC blade and a foldable carabiner/bottle opener. The blade went dull fast and I was using it daily o gave this away to a younger version of me. In 2011 I bought a SOG Flash II. I purchased other knives but daily carried this most of the time over the last 8 years. I now have recently sold all knives except the SOG +1 other. This week I went to a store to buy the dreamed about 940 BM and audibled at the line. I purchased the Protech SBR. Lovely new thing!

The first I can remember purchasing was a Barlow at a hardware store while on a scout trip, late 70’s. First knife my Dad gave me was a Western sheath knife I believe on my first scouting trip, and I still have it 40 +/- years later.

My first knife was a real cheap dime store Barlow with stamped metal bolsters that my dad got for me at age 7 os so 1966 . It fell apart and cut my finger and that was enough of cheap knives for me so I saved and bought my own knife about a year later which was a Old Timer 34 middle man. It was a good one and had it for a year and a half and lost it out in the field. Then I bought a Uncle Henry stockman about a year later. After that it’s a blurr. Lol

Well other than back in the mid to late '60s a huge multi tool with large spoon and fork, knife blade, scissors etc that came with it's own belt pouch (wouldn't fit in a pocket no way) (still have it) and a gum ball machine tiny Camillus that would fit in one of those clear plastic eggs (still have it) . . .
probably the first serious knife I ever bought was a Swiss Army Executive in red handle. Thin and very pocketable; small and medium blade, orange peeler, scissors and finger nail file. Very civilized knife.
My mentor had one so I tried one out and liked it a lot. Lost it.
Bought one a few years ago in black handle in memory of him.

A few years later in the early '80s I bought a Buck 505 Knight (still have it) and then a Buck 110 (still have it)

My first knife was a tiny Imperial slip joint (smaller than a peanut) that I paid $0.25 for when I was about 7 years old. As kids, we bought our own stuff with our own money. Dad did not provide knives, guns, or any of the stuff that kids liked at the time. BB gun? Saved up and bought one myself..... Fishing rod? Same deal.

First knife was a Buck 110 back in the mid 60s. I still have the knife and as a matter fact I sent into Buck for a spa. It came back like a new knife and locks up solid as a rock. The blade is smaller due to sharpening however it is in my Spyderco case along with my other knifes. When I started to college in the 60s I purchased a Buck Personal. I also still have the knife and it got a spa along with the 110. I was not able to afford a knife when I was a kid as we were super poor living in northern Missouri. When I was customizing my little rubber car as a kid in the 50s I used my moms paring knife to cut off the finders for the cool look. Unfortunately I severely cut my finger. My mom wrapped my finger and walked me to the hospital 2 blocks away and the Dr. sewed it up. I have forgot a lot of things since then but I did not forget that. They did not use anesthesia and held me down on the table. The scare is still very visible today and I am in my 70s.
Wow !

I always had a knife as long I can remember. Those most notable would be traditional knives and saks as a really young man to my first Leatherman Tool in 7th grade (in 1990). The knofe that turned me into a single bladed knife was a Crkt KISS that I bought in 1997. That knife brought me to seeing the value in “those expensive Benchmade knives” which in learning what “the best Benchmade knife” might be turned out to be a CRK Sebenza which I purchased in 2000. The rest is history!

Back in the day as a kid it was an old Buck 450C Lockback and a bunch of Victorinox knives. Later in life became a Kershaw Leek and then a spiral from there :)

Back