What was the first pocket knife you bought?

The first knife I purchased was a Boker karambit off kijiji. The seller showed me a Spyderco caly3 that I ended up buying after a little research.

The caly3 was my gateway knife.

Al Mar Falcon, bought around '80. Lost for some 15 years, found again in the pocket of some old jeans! :D

Still has the burn divots on the blade from jumping a busted starter on an Opel GT.

A friend in '81 or so was stripping wire and asked to borrow it. Used to keep it really sharp and I warned him as such. Took a long time to stop the bleeding...

View attachment 1157293

SOG Trident Tanto. Last SOG I will even buy, folded in half cutting styrofoam
That's really funny. I never really had that experience with any SOG I purchased. What turned me away from them was their imitation of the Spydie hole. But that use is common place now. I generally preferred Japanese made SOG knives... they moved from Japan to Taiwan to China in terms of a lot of their production. I understand, but I just moved away from their knives. I still own a small pile of their knives.

The only real dud SOG I bought was I believe a Flash 2 at a home center. I bought three or four of them to be used as work knives. They disappeared fairly quickly and it was at that point that I decided that I would not provide ANY knives to workers other than a utility knife and that was simply to use and put back in it's place after use for the next job.

The first pocket knife I bought was a PJ Sebenza 21. I was new to knives and couldn't believe how much it cost at the time but when I saw it I knew I had to have it. It was the beginning of the end for me. :)

First knife I bought? That would have been in the late 70’s and I’m not 100% sure. May have been a Vic Solo or an Uncle Henry Bear Paw. Probably was a $3.00 plastic handled Japanese single blade something or other.

The first knife that I ever purchased was a Gerber Gator from SMKW around 1994. I was 13 or so years old and was a boyscout. My scout master told me I couldn't carry it because the blade was longer than my palm was wide.

As a kid had many different slip joints given to me but the first pocket knife I can remember buying was a Case Sodbuster

I think I still have it somewhere

The first knife I bought was the walnut-handled* Hippekniep on the left. I bought it in a department store in Amsterdam in 1970, for about six bucks. As a kid, I had what I now know as a Camillus demo knife, and no doubt a couple of nondescript “jackknives”, the particulars lost in the mists of flagging memory.

For most of my adolescence, I did not carry a knife, except for a brief fling with a gravity knife acquired by trade after seeing West Side Story on Broadway. After college, I went to backpack around Europe, and quickly figured out that some kind of knife was essential to my kit. The knife was cheap and looked like it ought to serve my purposes, which it did.
136E251B-ADC7-4651-A154-B46C0D925DAD.jpeg

Back in early 1977 at age 13, I bought my first knife at a local, family-owned hardware store. It was a large Schrade stockman. The plastic tube it came in said Schrade Walden. I still have it. I carried it to school for awhile, but ended up going back to the store and buying a Schrade medium stockman marked "razor blade stainless". The first knife felt a bit heavy in my pocket, and I liked the corrosion resistance on the blades of the second knife.

Even back then, not every business would sell a knife to a 13 or 14 year-old. Besides that hardware store, I learned which places I could buy knives from on my own. Other places in the area sold pocketknives made by Ka-Bar, Camillus, etc. The first SAK I bought that same year was a tiny Wenger with a pen blade and a nail file, and I didn't really get into SAKs until a few years later, when I bought a Victorinox Spartan.

Jim

In 1961 at age 7, just before my Dad left for Vietnam he gave me his old 2 blade jack knife (probably Imperial) then when I was a 10 year old Cub Scout he bought me a Boy Scout Camper. Sadly both were lost when I left them home when I left for basic training in 1972.

This would be interesting to see. My first pocket knife I bought was a Benchmade Griptillian in October, 2017. I got it custom on the site with satin 20cv blade, black g10 handle and screws. I copied my brother but I don't regret it.

Oh man... that would be about 60 years ago now. But, as I recall, it was a Barlow from a local hardware store... Schrade, I think. I can still see the dark, saw cut wood handle and feel the weight of it. I had carried an old, yellow toothpick that I found around the house from the time I was 5 YO. When I was about 10, dad let me pick out a pocketknife when we were downtown together. Still got a soft spot for traditionals but these days, it's full-sized Trappers that rule the roost.

The first pocket knife I ever had was a tiny 2 or 3 bladed folder souvenir knife from the Mount Rushmore gift shop. I cut myself about ten minutes later in the car.

First real knife was a swiss army for cub scouts.

Camillus EDC. Bought it when i got a job at 18, about 6 years ago. Still have it here somewhere.

First knife was a souvenir knife from the Smokey mountain s ina 77 or 78. First knife I bought myself was an explorer wilderness. Had to have a hollow handle Rambo knife. First real folder was a gerber silver knight bought from the acorn shop in gatlinberg (sp?). still have both the wilderness and silver knight.

If by pocket knife, you mean folding knife, then my first one I actually purchased was a Buck 110. It was in 1977 when I was 11 years old. I still have it and still use it. I had purchased a fixed blade knife several years before the Buck at the ripe old age of 8.

The first knife i ever bouggt was an uncle henry large stockman. I still have it. It went everywhere i went until i got older and could afford to buy case knives

Back