What was the most popular knife when you were in school?

Rambo First Blood (the movie) came out in 1982, and if I'm not mistaken, nearly every kid in America throughout the 80's and early 90's wanted a cool Rambo knife with a hollowed out handle you could store a survival kit in...
I wanted one and I wasn't a kid then. :D But I never got one. Knew most of them were junk.

Zero Tolerance policies, if you carried a inife at school you fell under 3 catorgories generally.

1. Forgot you had it on you.
2. Stupid enough to risk expulsion.
3. Up to no good.

Either way you generally told no one. 2 exceptions I've seen one who somehow did t get caught throwing g his knife at his binder. Second who was telling someone he was going to stab the other guy once they opened back up the locker room so he could get his knife. Guy he threatened didn't take too kindly to it and broke his nose in a fight right at the locker room doors.

So no, no popular knives that was before mely time when you could carry one without risking expulsion.

I graduated in '72... Worked in country hardware store after school in '70 & '71. There was a cool glass front knife display case on the check out counter with 20 or so knives in it behind glass front. The back of the case had a door that opened to store the new knives in boxes. I loved to open the boxes and "finger" the new knives. As I remember the barlows were a hot seller for the farmers that frequented the hardware.

Zero Tolerance policies, if you carried a inife at school you fell under 3 catorgories generally.

3. Up to no good.

Either way you generally told no one. 2 exceptions I've seen one who somehow did t get caught throwing g his knife at his binder. Second who was telling someone he was going to stab the other guy once they opened back up the locker room so he could get his knife. Guy he threatened didn't take too kindly to it and broke his nose in a fight right at the locker room doors.

So no, no popular knives that was before mely time when you could carry one without risking expulsion.
That is a shame. When I went to high school in the late 70s, among the list of required supplies for art class were matt knives (box cutters) so pretty much everyone had one of those in their locker/art box. It never occurred to us to fight with them. (we were having too much fun getting in trouble in non-violent ways, if you get what I mean ;) ) I wonder how they handle it in art class nowadays?

3. Up to no good.

Expulsion:confused:.... ROTFLMGO³

Who wasn't the one who wanted to risk it the most....

I graduated high school in ‘94 I was pretty heavily involved in Boy Scouts then JROTC, stockmans were pretty popular

Grade school to Middle school (late 70s, early 80s) I mostly recall various Case & Schrade slipjoints, with an occasional SAK. High School was '83-'86 and I mostly recall the same with an occasional Buck 110/112. I went a different route and had an early Jody Sampson ground Pacific Cutlery Bali-song that I carried in my back pocket.

Case,Buck, Old timer 72-80
Trappers then stockmen, I much prefer stockmen. Buck old style 2 spring is my favorite.

Grew up in Wi in the 80's, surrounded by farmers and rural areas, everyone carried a knife. Got my first knife in maybe 85 or so....and it was a BSA SAK Tinker. Had it through middle school, and loved it. I worked the hell out of it until it was eventually stolen out of my locker with a stack of comics and a playboy I had hidden in there:)

I started HS in the early 90's and most of the kids that carried blades had either a buck 110 or a Gerber...usually a Paraframe or a Remix, I had the former. Most of us were in the vocation classes (Electronics, Auto, hop, welding) and they didn't mind us carrying in those classes....the teachers didn't like us borrowing theirs! It was my Advanced Auto Shop class teacher that introduced me to my first Kershaw....things spiraled out of control from there...

Buck 110 open carry on my belt and I never got a second look back in the 80's:cool: How times have changed:(. For parties and events I carried a LION lock blade that I still have to this day.
4NumHJ1.jpg
g0qVEs5.jpg

Sharp rocks in the '50's...maybe a junker traditional, but very rare. We were car-crazy...NOT knife-crazy.
I lived in a small town...all we really cared about was playing baseball...and sometimes maybe a girl...

Last edited:
88-92. Buck, Schrade, Case were the brands to have. Buck 110 was the big dog. I remember everybody wanted one with finger grooves.

Back