What was the most popular knife when you were in school?

^^Same for me. 1980s, rural countryside of Upstate New York...Buck 110.

Seems the 110 was the popular knife to carry in the 70's and 80's. Wish i could have had one when i was little in the 80's. But i think school would not have liked kids carrying that one. :)

Seems the 110 was the popular knife to carry in the 70's and 80's. Wish i could have had one when i was little in the 80's. But i think school would not have liked kids carrying that one. :)

I did carry a Buck 110 in a belt sheath when I as in high school, and nobody cared. The only time I ever got hassled in the ten years or so I carried that knife was by a security guy at the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody Wyoming.

As far as I remember, the 2000-2007 teen knife scene was almost entirely various rainbow-colored gas station knives.

I had a Manila Folder, a bunch of folders that came in a blister pack at a hardware store, and some wal-mart Winchester hunting knives when I was younger. Threw 'em all in a knife roll like it was some kind of sweet collection.

As far as I remember, the 2000-2007 teen knife scene was almost entirely various rainbow-colored gas station knives.

I had a Manila Folder, a bunch of folders that came in a blister pack at a hardware store, and some wal-mart Winchester hunting knives when I was younger. Threw 'em all in a knife roll like it was some kind of sweet collection.
That is one of the main reasons that the really inexpensive knives are important to the industry. They serve as a trainer for the future if your interest in knives develop past that value point.

All I can remember in school were primarily slip joints of one kind or another. Nobody even talked about knives. Cars, girls, and hunting were the things. Basically nobody cared until more recent years when schools all of a sudden require a letter from a kid's parents for them to take an aspirin. These really aren't good times from that point of view....

The people of this day have no culture, I'm currently in school and all that people talk about is Tac Force and Ozark Trails knives. I'm more into traditionals personally with my favorite being the Case Trapper!

Last edited:
Back in junior high (70s), I longed for a Buck 110 or lookalike, but never got a 110 until much later. My first locking folder was a large Old Timer folding Hunter with a brass(?) liner lock, a backspring, and a straight carbon steel blade. For some reason, I never really carried it much.

I did get a Khyber 110 lookalike lockback. It was a bit smaller than a 110, and was made in Japan. Other than the edge near the tip contacting the inside of the handle when closed, it was a pretty decent knife that I carried and used a fair amount.

Jim

A boy scout knife with the blade and various tools. Where I went to school at that time we never heard of swiss army knives.

Had to be a Swiss Army knife in high school 81-85, but my friend liked the Air Force Survival knife, I liked the Kabar Marine Corps knife. I actually got a hollow handle Survival knife (thanks to First Blood), which I thought was cool but only had a 420 blade. We also discovered the one piece knives of Chris Reeve in the magazines, but that would have been our grail knives, we could only dream. I did get a Kabar in college, even used it a couple of times on some very dangerous oranges and apples.

Last edited:
Well I'm still I'm high school and for me the most popular brands ive seen kids carry is (*cringe*) tac force basically the cheap 8 dollar amazon knives and the other brands I've seen is Kershaw and flea market bought knives

Carried a BUCK 301 every day, had a faded imprint in my Levi’s pocket from age of about 10 on through graduation showing that perfect 301 outline.
Everyone had some sort of knife, usually a slip joint.
Funny, if it was bird hunting season there would be a 12 gauge in my gun rack all day, every day, along with myriad others, including the school principal and several teachers.
If it was long range competition season there was a .308 in the rack.
We were rural and a gun and a knife were considered tools, to be respected and never ‘played’ with.
Several of us gun toting knife wielding ‘kids’ would become snipers in the not too distant future, almost like destiny.

Back