What was your first Spyderco?

I bought my little brother a tasman salt a few months back and was so impressed with it that I bought myself a few spydercos. I ordered the small fly, a manix 2, and a native. The first box I pulled out of the shipping package and opened was the small fly so in turn, my first spyderco was a small fly. I think thats pretty cool. Those damascus callys are sweet! Oh and 2 safes for your knives alone! Awesome! I hope to be at that point some day too!

DSCN1220.jpg

My first was the top one; A Jess Horn I bought through the A.G. Russell catalog.

What year (or model) is your Native? It doesn't look like it has much wear, but how does it open for you (/stay clean in the pivot/mechanism)?

What do you think of the cricket? Especially ergonomics?

Thanks

Guess it over 40 years old. I think it was called the standard. If you know, let me know. Did a little facelift to the SS as there were quite a few marks over the years. Still have it.
P1010005_zps66b2b505.jpg

Last edited:
My first Spyderco was the Caly 3.5. I lost it on an orienteering outing last summer. I still miss it, but my Native is filling in rather nicely! I actually like it better.

What year (or model) is your Native? It doesn't look like it has much wear, but how does it open for you (/stay clean in the pivot/mechanism)?

What do you think of the cricket? Especially ergonomics?

Thanks

I bought the Native at my local Walmart of all places...maybe 5 years ago.
I honestly don't carry it much as you can tell by the wear, but I'm not hard on my knives anyway. The Cricket is a nice size buy I suspect I'd carry it more if it weren't for the "s" shaped blade edge. I wish it was a wharncliffe instead.

My first Spyderco was the first Spyderco, the C01 Worker, still have it, still carry it.

The black FRN VG-10 Ladybug Hawkbill was my first Spyderco. I wasn't even aware that it was a sprint until several months later.

Delica Clip it. I won the the auction on eBay because very few people bid on it because the lady didn't list the knife right. She put down V8-10 steel instead of VG-10. I did my homework and knew that it was a typo. So... if it weren't for a typo, I wouldn't be addicted.

My first Spyderco was the first Spyderco, the C01 Worker, still have it, still carry it.

Don't let the folks in the Traditional forum see you say that.:p

Mine was a fully serrated Police model in GIN-1 that my folks bought me when I was 15 or 16. I actually had it up until a few months ago.

My first was an original Endura. That one ended up being sacrificed to the Lake Gods a couple of years later. It was followed by periodic further sacrifices until I got smart and started attaching a lanyard with a flotie to my lake knives.

Spyderco Resilience. I'm in the process of trading it and my Tenacious now. I hope to get my hands on a Police someday. That is one I've been obsessed with for many years.

My first Spyderco was Sharpmaker

It was a life changer. I started to believe in myself: I was able to sharpen knives. The best $40 I ever spent.
Than about couple month later walmart Native, which I bought out of curiosity to see what is S30V super steel is about
It is still alive, even after abuse, which it receive from two guys I lent for a while. One of them spilled acid on the blade, second took the edge away, probably tried to cut some rocks, at least it looked like that :(:(:( Scotchbrite and a beltsander helped me out to fix the damage.

Back