What was your first Spyderco?

My first two were crickets: probably my favorite EDC knives I owned. In fact, I used one so much I lost it and then did the same with the second :mad:. One was SS and the other was FRN I think. It's been a few years. After recently regaining my interest in knives I purchased a resilience to get back into the spyderco game.

Here's my resilience with my Ontario RAT-3 climbing mountains in the Smoky's:
img7258b.jpg

Then a waved endura came yesterday!!!!!!!!
img7271d.jpg

I also have ordered a Byrd Meadowlark Hawkbill 2 that should be here in a few days so I'm excited to grow my Spydie collection again. My plan is to EDC the Endura with the hawkbill as a backup. Really want to buy another cricket too. That will probably be my next knife purchase.

Firsty spyderco would be the Southard... I like high end goodies, and figured I'd give it a 2nd try.
Afraid it didn't last. Like everything about it, except it's non-performance based grind. 4mm stock, with a sharply tapered hollow grind caused cardboard to bend and fold easily.

Just got a ZDP-189 Dragonfly w/ Nishijin scales, lovely little knife. Next will be a Domino, really excited about that one!

My first was a Digicam Military. Got ran over by a machine loaded with a 5,000lb ,or so ,reel of cable which flattened the clip against the g-10 (even pushed the end of the clip into the g10) and stripped the screws right out of the backspacer due the the g-10 flexing under the weight. The damn thing still worked and locked up solidly. Unfortunately, I lost it shortly thereafter as the clip, having been completely flattened, didn't clip into the pocket tightly enough after I tried to bend it back to some sort of normalcy. Miss that millie:(

my first was a Spyderco Persistence. gave it to a friend that time (i was preferred thumbstud at that time) and she lost it. bummer.

next one was a Kiwi3, gave it to a friend also.

after that a Gayle Bradley, and this one is the one gave me a whole new perspective on how great the knives Spyderco makes.

Mine was an endura I ended up taking back... But I'm giving spyderco a 2nd chance with the para 2.

My first was the Carbon Fiber version of the Cat. I thought it had poor finish, with chipped/cracked CF on much of the edges of the scales and near the screw holes. The blade also had rough edges, especially on the spydie hole.

I returned it and a while later got the G10 Cat. Still not impressed, I don't think I'll buy anymore Taiwan made Spyderco.

Surprisingly my Ambitious has great fit and finish, so I went on to get a Manix 2 and Dragonfly Nishijin. Odd that the cheaper Chinese Spydercos have better construction than the more expensive Taiwan ones.

IMG_7692edit.jpg

IMG_7687edit.jpg

a "Q". Just sold it the other week used for a lot more than i paid for it. It just never got any use. Such a cool idea but such a pain to keep clean. I have others to console myself with.

Endura that I bought in the early 90's. I still have it, and still use it every now and then.

My first Spydie. Got this from my dad about 13 years ago.

768C95D6-5691-4839-BC12-7C90DD39BC18-9579-0000048B73A9420D_zps1e0d93a8.jpg

The Cat was a dud. They are not making knives for Spyderco any longer.
The shop making them now, IMO has much better fit & finish than Spyderco's made in Japan, China Etc.
Check for the word "Taichung".

Thats it.

My first was the Carbon Fiber version of the Cat. I thought it had poor finish, with chipped/cracked CF on much of the edges of the scales and near the screw holes. The blade also had rough edges, especially on the spydie hole.

I returned it and a while later got the G10 Cat. Still not impressed, I don't think I'll buy anymore Taiwan made Spyderco.

Surprisingly my Ambitious has great fit and finish, so I went on to get a Manix 2 and Dragonfly Nishijin. Odd that the cheaper Chinese Spydercos have better construction than the more expensive Taiwan ones.

IMG_7692edit.jpg

IMG_7687edit.jpg

The Cat was a dud. They are not making knives for Spyderco any longer.
The shop making them now, IMO has much better fit & finish than Spyderco's made in Japan, China Etc.
Check for the word "Taichung".

Thats it.

Still not impresssed with the latest G10 Cat made in Taiwan. Mine has very obvious bumps inside the Spydie hole so it isn't perfectly round. Quite annoying during blade deployment.

I'm very happy with the fit and finish of my Spyderco's made in China, Golden, and hopefully my Japanese one once I receive it.

Still not impresssed with the latest G10 Cat made in Taiwan. Mine has very obvious bumps inside the Spydie hole so it isn't perfectly round. Quite annoying during blade deployment.

I'm very happy with the fit and finish of my Spyderco's made in China, Golden, and hopefully my Japanese one once I receive it.

Someone give this man a clue.......
Thanks.......

Back in the mid 90s I bought an endura with a full serrated edge with a factory black coating with the plastic clip molded into the handle. Then I bought a Native a little while after that, and bought 2 of my brothers their own enduras, and I bought my dad a Jess Horn Spydie for his birthday. We all still have em 16 yrs later. Only recently did I fall in lust with spydies again and bought 7 more in the last 8 months or so.
John

My first was a gift from my son after fighting Leukemia for about 7 months and a dozen hospital stays. It's not only my first but will always be my favorite. He topped this gift by giving me my first grandchild about 2.5 months ago. Yep, I love my son.

zz by myeyesview2, on Flickr

zx by myeyesview2, on Flickr

jwh

Back