What watch do you wear?

Those Hamiltons want to copy the aviation styled watches of yesteryear. But form follows function. Why the knurling on the bezel? Aesthics alone? And if the bezel is knurled for functionality, the crown should be too. Though the watches look good at first glance, they look odd the longer you look and notice such things.

Here's an Omega aviator from more than 80 years ago, 1934. A fairly uncommon original wristwatch.

fe05c580.jpg

Om%2520Aviator%2520Side.jpg

Last edited:
...and it's much too busy.
That's because everything on it has a purpose/function vs aesthetics. The knurling is to rotate the bezels or turn the crown with gloved hands. That watch was worn on the outside of the flyer's suit on the wrist or thigh above the knee in an open cockpit or in unpressurized closed cockpit. The problem with so many of the modern homages to old designs is that they keep some characteristics for functionless aesthetics only which often end up making the watch seem somehow odd, sometimes sublimely so. It took me a few to determine why I thought the Hamilton was "off". Then it became obvious.

I'll agree I don't particularly like the 2nd dial on the photos I posted. I don't know much about them, but Just a plain white face, nice leather band and a couple of hands is all I would prefer. I likely jumped into a thread I have no business being in, lol. My iPhone is my 'watch.' :D

By all means buy/wear the watch YOU want. You should wear a watch only to please and impress YOURSELF. Only true watch geeks will ever notice what watch you are wearing or even care. Also, everyone has business in this thread if they have interest in this thread. You certainly have as much business in this thread as I do.

I have three in my rotation. Tag Formula One for work/going out, Casio titanium Pathfinder and a pulsar divers style watch for banging around in the shop or woods, etc.

I rotate these throughout the week -

50th Anniversary Sub

Citizen Titanium Eco-Drive

Android automatic

Received my 25 year watch from my employer the other day. It's not really a style that I would have picked out for myself but I do like it very much and it's very comfortable. Swiss Quartz movement, Sapphire crystal, and free battery replacement for life from the jeweler it was purchased from. I'll be wearing this one for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Stay classy

Rolex Deepsea

Back